New to the Reliant brand

For New Members to introduce themselves and their cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

SlimScim
RSSOC Member

New to the Reliant brand

Post by SlimScim » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:24 am

Good-day. Just joined as I need to scratch an itch. Planned a Scimitar when I retired and that is 12 years ago. Ended up with (whisper it) a TVR which I still have. But SE5/5A is what I think I want. How much to spend.? I need something that is a hobby but not not a project as I have no space for a body off or other major work requiring a ramp. There is one on South West Vehicle Auctions (I am Bristol based so this is an auction house reasonably placed for me) next week at what appears a slightly low estimated value but I will probably have to let it go as my single garage and drive are full! No doubt some will come up from within the club.
Never had an auto before - any reason I should prefer a manual?

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

New to the Reliant brand

Post by rjudcsx » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:32 am

Welcome , I have seen that one on SWVA and I must say it looks very nice ,good luck with your quest . Regards Richard . ps whats the TVR ?

SlimScim
RSSOC Member

New to the Reliant brand

Post by SlimScim » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:57 am

Hello Richard
Thanks for your response. My TVR is a 1979 3000S (the M series convertible). Was a bit rough when I took it on but a runner. Now done all the jobs until the next thing breaks. It's not concourse but not far off and I have kept it factory original. Tend to only use it in the summer and SORN over the winter. The wife has fallen out of love with it so a hardtop must be had for all year but also winter use. I also have a 1996 BMW 2.8 saloon which is tatty but such a great car to drive and I can't bear to scrap it and it 's worth very little but it takes a slot on the drive so I might have to bite the bullet!
Regards
Bob

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

New to the Reliant brand

Post by peter freeman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:12 am

Personally I think the three speed is awful but some people like it.

philynnbob

New to the Reliant brand

Post by philynnbob » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:12 am

Welcome Bob to the forum and possible Scimitar ownership.
SWA estimates are often woefully low😄.
As for choice between automatic or manual then that really is a personal choice.
However having owned several different scimitars over the years my own personal choice is always Manual with overdrive,find it much better suited to the roads in my area.( and my driving style).
Good luck
Phil

Nigel Clark
RSSOC Member

New to the Reliant brand

Post by Nigel Clark » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:15 pm

peter freeman wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:12 am
Personally I think the three speed is awful but some people like it.
Welcome Bob.

I agree with Peter about the 3-speed auto. I used to have a BW35 3 speed in a Triumph Stag years ago and hated it.

For a Scimitar, the SE5 series cars are sportier and so manual with overdrive is much preferable. The auto option may suit the 6 series cars a little better, as they are more of a grand tourer by nature. That said, my SE6A has a manual 'box with overdrive and I wouldn't want auto. Left field option would be a modern 5-speed box conversion.

Good luck with your search.

Nigel

philhoward
RSSOC Member

New to the Reliant brand

Post by philhoward » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:30 pm

The later C3 (later SE5a's and SE6's) is an improvment over the BW35 as it has genuine "load" sensing from the vacuum modulator but don't forget the BW35 is good old 1960's tech.. Most autos would be suffering from years of neglect (fluid changes) and weeping internal seals so can muddy the waters.

I've had manuals and autos (only SE5 and SE5a) and to be honest not bothered either way. All depends what you want from the car; the post-73 overdrive gear linkage isn't exactly the most accurate feeling linkage either. Choose based on the car as a whole rather than "must be an auto" - you change from auto to manual or the other way reasonably easily (nuts, bolts, a holesaw and possibly some fibreglass work) but getting the general condition of a car up to a higher standard is considerably more, cost and time wise.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

New to the Reliant brand

Post by peter freeman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:06 pm

The MB 4 speed auto is good, never thought I would say that after having a 3 speed auto but the 4 speed box is well sorted.

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

New to the Reliant brand

Post by AJL Electronics » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:49 pm

Wholeheartedly agree with Phil. The BW35 isn't a bad box, properly serviced, but perhaps the 5a suits a pudding stirrer better with the car's "sporting" personality.

The 6 series onwards are much nicer as automatics and the C3, although a little low geared is a fairly refined gearbox. With an Essex engine there isn't a lot of choice in a replacement bolt on gearbox, but the Cologne accepts the C3 and A4LD variants, the latter will make for a very smooth and refined sporting cruiser.

I have a 6a auto and a 6b pudding stirrer that will be for sale once fully roadworthy, should they be of interest?

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

SlimScim
RSSOC Member

New to the Reliant brand

Post by SlimScim » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:34 am

Thank you Gentlemen for some very interesting input, particularly that about the later auto box over the earlier one. I am not sold on the SWVA car. I have arranged a viewing more as an excuse to get out and do something ! As I mentioned earlier i have nowhere to keep it at the moment so will probably wait until later in the year. Always happy to hear of known examples that may be coming up in the not too distant.
Cheers
Bob

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

New to the Reliant brand

Post by gtcse8 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:34 pm

SE6b, Manual OD, 2.8 Cologne AND Galvanised Chassis up for sale in Yorkshire.
Metallic Red but lacquer has lifted in places.
Needs re commissioning, but engine is as sweet as I have ever heard.

£1,750 OVNO.
Pictures to follow IF requested.
I know your a long way off down in Bristol.

Mark

Mark Wilson. Garage sale everything must go. :cry:1 SE6b, 1 GTC Shell &1 SE6a shell & a Triumph Daytona. Also on YouTube :wink: lookup V8 Chevy https://youtu.be/lbpvDGAMY6g https://youtu.be/7xTrbr0ETSA https://youtu.be/K7HfYVd5Flo

SlimScim
RSSOC Member

New to the Reliant brand

Post by SlimScim » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:24 am

Hi Mark
Thanks for letting me know about your SE6. Shame you are so far away. Although I think I want a 5A if I lived closer I probably would call on you and who knows? As it is, even if I were interested I would need to get it to Bristol and how much work would be needed to get it to MOT. As some of the other members have tweeted previously above, the expensive jobs are chassis and paint and sounds like yours has the latter issue if not the former. Attractive price though.
Bob

The Dog
RSSOC Member

New to the Reliant brand

Post by The Dog » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:12 am

Hi Bob - I met you at SWVA and if you remember also own a TVR - that SE5a sold well at £7.4k!!! they are on the rise

If you ever need some help or assistance give me a call

Nigel

Nigel (The Dog) - 1985 SE6B 24v Cosworth Conversion A4LD Gearbox

SlimScim
RSSOC Member

New to the Reliant brand

Post by SlimScim » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:43 pm

Hi Nigel
Thanks for getting in touch and your offer of advice in the future. Hadn't caught up with the auction price but 'wow'. That figure appears to be a bit over the top - never mind miles away from the estimates. None of the bids were mine. By the time I got home,it was too late for me to consider registering. Hoping to unlock the TVR over the next couple of weeks. BMW now on SORN. Interest in Reliants' increasing.

Bob

Return to “Introductions”