Se6b or 6a drivers door mirror wanted

Old ads will stay here for a while before being kicked out forever after 6 months or so.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Terry Rickard

speedy555
RSSOC Member

Post by speedy555 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:24 am

As per the title really...Has anyone got an electric (preferably) drivers door mirror for a 6b? I presume 6a are the same?
Thanks.
Dave.

Dave Speed

GTC #7 Diesel Dick se5a

Prev. Multiple SS1/ 68 coupe/ numerous 5s, 5a & 6a & 6b's / Cipher / rialto / Rochdale Olympic/ Gentry

5 series Registrar

www.ssgclassics.co.uk

www.facebook.com/ssgclassics

Fibreglass liquid coating technician - used spares

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:52 am

If it's the original Reliant-type (black, and moves in a clicking manner, should be photos on here elsewhere), then they were only fitted to a very few, very late 6as, and are prtetty rare on 6bs too. They're also common to some Lotus models I think.
May be worth looking at a pair of alternatives like XJS ones or maybe the Ford type as used on some SS1s?

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:40 am

If you want to pass an idle moment (or ten), have a read of this thread.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

speedy555
RSSOC Member

Post by speedy555 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:18 pm

Thanks. I seem to remember fitting some XJS ones on a 6a....about 36 cars ago :oops: :lol:

Dave Speed

GTC #7 Diesel Dick se5a

Prev. Multiple SS1/ 68 coupe/ numerous 5s, 5a & 6a & 6b's / Cipher / rialto / Rochdale Olympic/ Gentry

5 series Registrar

www.ssgclassics.co.uk

www.facebook.com/ssgclassics

Fibreglass liquid coating technician - used spares

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:21 pm

I don't recall how much additional work is needed, but SS1 mirrors have been fitted to at least one GTC I know of (and probably many other cars since).

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:58 pm

Easiest adjustable one to fit is the OE Chromed, internal lever type.
I have a few in very good condition, also a couple of Passenger ones.

Mark Wilson. Garage sale everything must go. :cry:1 SE6b, 1 GTC Shell &1 SE6a shell & a Triumph Daytona. Also on YouTube :wink: lookup V8 Chevy https://youtu.be/lbpvDGAMY6g https://youtu.be/7xTrbr0ETSA https://youtu.be/K7HfYVd5Flo

Geraint SabreGTCse5
RSSOC Member

Post by Geraint SabreGTCse5 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:47 pm

speedy555 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:24 am
As per the title really...Has anyone got an electric (preferably) drivers door mirror for a 6b? I presume 6a are the same?
Thanks.
Dave.
the plastic electric ones fitted to some 6b's are sort after by lotus owners and sell well, as Mark said the chrome internal adjust ones on good plinths are the easiest to fit and you can actually see whats behind you. I have fitted jag mirrors to several vehicles, they look ok but tend to always point downward, the passenger side ones are useless to see anything behind. The only jag ones I have seen that work and give good view had the doors altered to create the right angle. If you have a way to make angle plinths they may fit better, they aint cheap anymore if they have good chrome. I will be fitting ss1's to modified doors on the next project.

Geraint

Sabre ti ti, SST,se5, GTC, 6b.......

Better to be late in this life than early in the next!

spegru

Post by spegru » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:15 pm

FYI I've recently fitted Fiat 500 electric mirrors as I got fed up with the inability to see out of the passenger side in particular
Designed to be painted body colour or available with a chrome finish if you want.
I used a 5mm thick piece of rubber sheet as a spacer due to the shape of the base but at least I didnt need an odd shape rubber wedge like with the original Ford ones. Also had to drill some new mounting holes lower down the door.

Brilliant

spegru

PS. if you fancy trying this make sure to get a pair from an RHD car as the LHD ones dont give a proper view - as I found out.
PPS. anyone with an LHD Scimitar that wants to try this - I have a suitable pair!

Geraint SabreGTCse5
RSSOC Member

Post by Geraint SabreGTCse5 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:33 pm

spegru wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:15 pm
FYI I've recently fitted Fiat 500 electric mirrors as I got fed up with the inability to see out of the passenger side in particular
Designed to be painted body colour or available with a chrome finish if you want.
I used a 5mm thick piece of rubber sheet as a spacer due to the shape of the base but at least I didnt need an odd shape rubber wedge like with the original Ford ones. Also had to drill some new mounting holes lower down the door.

Brilliant

spegru

PS. if you fancy trying this make sure to get a pair from an RHD car as the LHD ones dont give a proper view - as I found out.
PPS. anyone with an LHD Scimitar that wants to try this - I have a suitable pair!
any pictures of them fitted please.

Geraint

TrevorG
RSSOC Member

Post by TrevorG » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:34 pm

If you really want to see everything behind you, I've got a couple of spare landrover mirrors :D
Wonder what they'd look like and how they would affect top speed :w

spegru

Post by spegru » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:08 pm

Hello Geraint, here are a couple. As you can see they fit well. I do still need to wire them up though
Also I need to repaint the door anyway, as well as the mirror covers but in the mean time purple is not too bad actually!
Attachments
20200226_193521.jpg
20200226_193521.jpg (193.87 KiB) Viewed 853 times
20200226_193256.jpg
20200226_193256.jpg (200.67 KiB) Viewed 853 times

Geraint SabreGTCse5
RSSOC Member

Post by Geraint SabreGTCse5 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:15 am

thanks for that they look good fitted I may try and source a set myself, does the passenger mirror actually give a view to the rear?
do you know if the motors simply wire up to the 12v supply or do fiat reduce the "power" to them.

Geraint

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:19 am

Geraint SabreGTCse5 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:15 am
do fiat reduce the "power" to them?
Italian electrics have a mind of their own :w

Mark Wilson. Garage sale everything must go. :cry:1 SE6b, 1 GTC Shell &1 SE6a shell & a Triumph Daytona. Also on YouTube :wink: lookup V8 Chevy https://youtu.be/lbpvDGAMY6g https://youtu.be/7xTrbr0ETSA https://youtu.be/K7HfYVd5Flo

spegru

Post by spegru » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:10 am

Yes the view works really well.
It was something of a revelation to me to discover that the LH and RH ones are a) not mirror images of eachother and b) therefore LHD and RHD mirror pairs are not the same. This I think cannot be said for the Ford derived Items - which is i suspect exactly why the LH mirror gave a poor view and indeed likely why it was was broken - due to over done manual adjustment. Remember that in those days quite alot of cars did not even have passenger side mirrors, which probably explains the stupidity of an adjuster that is completely out of reach of the driver (because it was really a Drivers side mirror for an LHD car)!
I haven't actually wired up an adjustment switch yet - just used an external 12v on the 3 control wires so far - but I have a vauxhall (I think) one and it looks simple enough.

The mirrors are heated as well!

NB The angle of the door skin seems pretty much ideal but I used a rubber pad underneath because there is a lump that sticks out a bit and I didn't want to make a huge hole in the door to acommodate it.

Spegru

ps I've got loads of 5mm rubber sheet too - could double up as mud flap material!
pps. I blocked up the holes for the adjusters and also window winders with some pieces of PVC foamboard that I have loads of. Black on Black, fixed with double sided sponge tape. Looks pretty good

Return to “Removed For Sale and Ebay”