SS1 No.1 - Back to life

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

philhoward
RSSOC Member

The first (production) SS1!

Post by philhoward » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:19 pm

Following some negotiation, the first SS1 (Chassis no. 000001) is due at ss1turbo.com towers on sunday. With a little recommissioning, it'll be out soon! Sadly, this means that "one in, one out" applies...the last Rooster (B461KWP)will be for sale as soon as it has a pair of replacement sills fitted...anyone for an SSSC car?

B731AOA, commonly known as the first production SS1...
Attachments
IMAGE_105.jpg
IMAGE_105.jpg (44.79 KiB) Viewed 918 times

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:14 pm

Congratulations! Great colour too. :D

td99
RSSOC Member

Post by td99 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:27 pm

Unique car!

How do you get the hedalamps to fit the body contour so nicely and still (presumably!) point in the right direction?

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:16 pm

one of the makes of headlamp i have had (cant remember if its Hella or Lucas) has a 'shaped' lens, that look more like those on Phils new toy. other ex-poverty Metro spec have a flatter profile.

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:11 am

td99 wrote:Unique car!

How do you get the hedalamps to fit the body contour so nicely and still (presumably!) point in the right direction?
Yeah, that can be a real nightmare! :roll:

shrewsbury_streetracer

Post by shrewsbury_streetracer » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:37 am

Hi Phil

My standard 1600 I sold last year B545 KWP was on a galv chassis. Interestingly it had a cut out on the n/s/f inner arch as if to route an exhaust (which had subsequently been repaired) This wouldn't be needed unless a turbo was fitted? It was originally owned by Will Sparrow. Could this have been a turbo at some time :?:

2007 & 2008 RSSOC Sprint Champion

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:39 am

Chris - My memory eludes me of more details at the moment, but the inner arch cutout sounds like it was for one of Will's 4-branch manifolds (very much like Paul Hunt's Zetec SS1). When Robin Rew did the Rooster turbos, Will went the "conventional" tuning route usign twin carbs (40DCNF, i think) and bigger exhaust. I did see one many, many years ago at Val Walkers old place and the manifold then was a collection of gun gum and repair tape. Ex-Roosters can be identified by a 2" hole either side of the radiator for the intercooler pipes..

It does follow, as B461KWP is the other Rooster...and was supplied through Will - as all "new" Roosters were.

td99 - As it was the 1984 Motorshow car, they must have spent ages getting it right. Only god knows how good/bad the alignment is for the MoT...

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 Racer
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Littlechicken
RSSOC Member

Post by Littlechicken » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:39 pm

I remember seeing that car at the 84 Motorshow, they had a GTE/c a fox and a Rialto all in the same colour.

I have a picture somewhere :D

philhoward
RSSOC Member

It lives!!

Post by philhoward » Mon May 26, 2008 5:55 pm

It's alive!!

Those weeks of soaking the bores in a mixture of ATF and injector cleaner has paid off. I gave it its weekly "rock" in gear and all of a sudden there was movement at the cam belt...

I now know how much ATF I put in the bores as i was ceremoniously showered in the bright red mixture as its first complete revolution in 10 years...

It has oil, water - replace the spark plugs then with a cloud of smoke, she fired..eventually, on 10 year old fuel as well!

Off shopping for a full service kit as I guess the cam belt is the original...oh and a set of valve guide oil seals!

Couldn't resist moving it a foot fore and aft on the drive - its first movement under its own steam..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 Racer

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue May 27, 2008 10:06 am

Congratulations! :D

Do you have any plans for the car yet? Will it be used on the road much, or kept as a show-special?

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Tue May 27, 2008 10:12 am

Not sure as yet...but my wife's taken quite a shine to it.

Needs to be "on the road" really - and needs to be out there. Naturally, it will be out at every possible Scimitar event.

Given its low mileage, it would almost be a crime to do 15,000 miles a year commuting but cars do like to be used on a regular basis.

Just need to get the other Rooster(s) back on the road as well...

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 Racer

DavePoole
RSSOC Member

Post by DavePoole » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:12 pm

Hiya Phil,

I don't know if you have seen this article, but it features you car 8)

It's from Road and Track 1985:

I can send you a higher resolution copy if you like?

Dave Poole.... i'll fetch my anorak :lol:

Owner of website: www.sporting-reliants.com
Owner of 1969 Reliant Scimitar GTE SE5
Reliant Sabre and Scimitar Owners Club Archivist
Remember a Scimitar is for life, not just for Christmas...

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:36 pm

Very interesting article, Dave...many thanks. A high-res version would be nice for posterity (and maybe for posting on my website if thats OK with you?).

The 2.0 litre US engine became the 1.8 turbo Nissan engine we know and love..as for the "tallest diff in the Sierra range" comment - I laughed!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 Racer

philhoward
RSSOC Member

SS1 No.1 - Back to life

Post by philhoward » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:32 pm

Thought it might be handy to show what might be involced with bringing an SS1 back from an extended slumber (10 years in this case)..

As was recently documented in Slice, I've acquired SS1 Chassis No.1
Sounds great, but it had sat in a garage for the last 10 years and upon purchase, the engine was siezed...not looking good!

A mixture of Automatic Transmission fluid and diesel was poured into the bores, and weeks of gentle trying ensued until finally the engine turned - showering me in the mixture as i was standing in front of No.1 spark plug hole (no.1 was at the bottom of its stroke, so that's 400cc of mixture..).

Quick replacement of spark plugs, and it actually fired on 10 year old petrol! Bit lumpy, bit smokey, but it ran and only a bit of tappet noise...

OK..the cambelt is 10 years old and the original by the looks of it, so thats now been changed along with the water pump (tensioner is fine - but it does only have 26,000 miles on it).

Little differences i've noticed between this and the rest of the SS1s out there - for starters it's in a Porsche Pearl
All the wiring is in black, with barely legible number markers on each wire..
Plus the front wings are fibreglass, not the usual rubber! Only spotted it due to the matted finish on the inside..
And for some strange reason, the top wishbone bushes have been welded into the arms..
Image.

Have now found out that the radiator is blocked virtually solid, so that another job - just after i'd refilled it with fresh antifreeze! When the fan runs, and you can put your hand on any of the lower 3/4 of the core, it doesn't sound good..

It will be at Curborough for anyone to have a look over...

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 Racer

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:10 pm

Some points to note about the engine sitting in one position for 10 years..

The cambelt was most definately past its best, but the rubber material had actually pulled off the belt (probably on the frst turn) and imbedded itself into the teeth of the crank pulley and water pump (but for some reason not the cam pulley). Took a little digging out of the old material, otherwise the belt stands a chance of slipping...

...which is what I think it had done. Luckily with a 1300, you don't get valve/piston contact. It was only whilst doing the cambelt i had aligned the top pulley with its marker to find that the bottom pulley was out. Aligned the crank pulley and the cam pulley was exactly one tooth out. This is something you would probably not get away with if it was a 1600!

If its one tooth out, it is a bugger to start (tries to fire backwards so feels like a flat battery) and runs like a bag of nails if its advanced a tooth. Retarded a tooth, and it will be flat as anything..if it will start at all!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 Racer

Return to “Project Progress”