Dashboard Top

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

John042

Dashboard Top

Post by John042 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:05 pm

Hi, delivered today 1977 6A. First observation the dashboard top has de-bonded from its mounting. These are unobtainable? It's warped so therfore is it possible with the appication of a heat gun to reform the shape please? Thanks J C. Also to get the vehicle moving, low oil level in the auto gearbox I had to add some Dexon3. Correct or not? The handbook does specify TQF and Esso ATF. Correct or not needs must to move the vehicle. Can Dexon3 be used in the auto gearboxes? I'm assuming it's a Ford C3 unit. Cheers J C.

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Dashboard Top

Post by AJL Electronics » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:53 am

Gearbox will be irretrievably damaged by using Dexron. Get it drained and flushed asap. The only exception is if you have a red dipstick, which never was on an original 6a. The correct fluid is mineral AQF or equivalent to Ford MC something G spec.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Dashboard Top

Post by peter freeman » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:58 am

I took the top off ( four bolts and a couple of screws ) and recovered my top with leatherette - use a couple of G clamps and wood to spread the area and good glue - not difficult apart from the tighter bits ( at the centre ) which needed super glue

John042

Dashboard Top

Post by John042 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:12 am

AJL Electronics, Thanks I only added about 1/2 lte just to move the vehicle from a path access, 50 ft. Will check the dipstick but pretty certain it's black. Does the torque converter have a drain plug please? Thanks again.

John042

Dashboard Top

Post by John042 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:15 am

Thanks Peter reference the dash top. What ever it was bonded to has given up and the whole top seems to be loose. Thankyou.

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Dashboard Top

Post by AJL Electronics » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:49 am

John042 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:12 am
AJL Electronics, Thanks I only added about 1/2 lte just to move the vehicle from a path access, 50 ft. Will check the dipstick but pretty certain it's black. Does the torque converter have a drain plug please? Thanks again.
Generally yes. Have a look after taking the cover plate off the lower part of the gearbox. Rotate the engine and you should see the drain plug come into view. It wouldn't hurt to have the sump off and swap the 1st / reverse servo seals plus filter. I carry everything in stock (usually) should you need parts.

Don't forget to flush out the oil cooler too.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

John042

Dashboard Top

Post by John042 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:58 pm

Thanks AJL Electronics for the swift reply. I guess I'll be preparing a shopping list for you soon. Cheers J C. :D

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”