GTC Hardtop Window Rubbers

PLEASE ONLY start a NEW topic if you have a specific part that hasn't got a topic already, and that you need and cannot get hold of through Club Traders. Make the topic name clear (Model and Part details). Anyone else also wanting that part should add a message to the topic.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

ard126k

Post by ard126k » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:53 pm

Well the new rubbers fit the bill (and the window) very well. Here's the overall effect -
IMG_1953.JPG
IMG_1953.JPG (97.13 KiB) Viewed 806 times
So I'm now ready to send them out to you, as mentioned before the price is £50.16 plus £3.65 P&P so 53.78 altogether. I'm proposing 2nd class post, if you need the rubbers in a hurry let me know and I'll upgrade for you. If you want me to do the cutting and shutting it will be £68.78 altogether. PM or email me with your delivery details and I'll spring into action.

Ron H I'll let you know the postage for 3 lengths separately.

Alex.

1971 SE5, 1977 SE6a, previously 1982 GTC

RonH
RSSOC Member

Post by RonH » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:01 am

ard126k wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:53 pm
Well the new rubbers fit the bill (and the window) very well. Here's the overall effect -

IMG_1953.JPG

So I'm now ready to send them out to you, as mentioned before the price is £50.16 plus £3.65 P&P so 53.78 altogether. I'm proposing 2nd class post, if you need the rubbers in a hurry let me know and I'll upgrade for you. If you want me to do the cutting and shutting it will be £68.78 altogether. PM or email me with your delivery details and I'll spring into action.

Ron H I'll let you know the postage for 3 lengths separately.

Alex.
Cheers Alex

scimrick
RSSOC Member

Post by scimrick » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:44 pm

Alex
email sent
cheers
Richard

ard126k

Post by ard126k » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:38 pm

I think that I've now sent rubbers to everyone who has paid for them.
If you know better then please give me a gentle reminder!
Alex.

ard126k

Post by ard126k » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:34 pm

I've found out a few things while fitting the rubbers to the car, thought I'd pass them on. If this is old hat to you, my apologies!

If you've ever done a windscreen before the rear window won't give you any problems. Lay the seal on to the body lip around the window 'ole, pushing it well into the corners as you go. This helps to prevent the seal cracking round the corners in a few years time. Also cut the rubber a couple of cms too long at the joint, this will put pressure on the joint and stop leaks. A square butt joint is easiest, use superglue to make the joint. Then put some sealant in the glass groove,if you want,I didn't bother. After putting the glass in the rubber (I put the joint at the top centre) and running cord around the rubber in the body groove set the window in the hole with the lower edge located on the body. Pull the cord to lift the seal lip up and over the body lip, doing a little in each direction at a time and keep pressing the glass down and in (gently!)

The side windows are a bit trickier because of the corner joints. First step is to cut the 3 sides roughly over length, I found that straightening the curly rubber helped with measuring. Do this by putting it in hot water for a couple of minutes and then, holding it in the opposite curve, into cold water. Cut the pieces a bit longer than needed, then tackle the joints. The front two need each end to be cut at 45 degrees and the rear one at 32 degrees. Following advice from Seals + Direct I found the best way is to put packers along the two grooves in the rubber to mimic the glass and the body and hold the rubber as rigid as possible while cutting. Hardboard works well. Then mark the angles and cut. The best tool is a really sharp knife with the blade heated so it slides through the rubber really easily. Only move the blade one way, 'sawing' movements will distort the rubber and spoil the cut.

To make up the joints I made some dummy body corners from hardboard to hold the rubber bits together at the correct angles.
IMG_1968.JPG
IMG_1968.JPG (56.06 KiB) Viewed 507 times
Superglue seemed to be a bit hit or miss on these joints,I think depending on how smooth the cuts were. But I haven't found any adhesive that works better, even Sikaflex seems to struggle to get a grip. If anyone knows better...!

It's a bit of a faff but well worth the effort in the end!

Alex.

ard126k

Post by ard126k » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:02 pm

For various reasons I've had the side windows in and out a couple of times and I find that the easiest way to get them in is to use two pieces of cord, placing them in the rubber's body groove starting from the rear corner and going round (one cord in each direction) one front corner and then taping the end on the inside of the rubber just short of the second front corner. Start fitting at the rear corner and pull the cord along the bottom side to lift the rubber over the body lip. As you go push the window down and help it to go into the body recess along the top. Stop before the lower front corner! Then pull the cord along the top side of the window and again help it into the body recess at the front. Stop before the top front corner. Now use either of the taped cord ends to lift the rubber over the front body lip. You should now have each piece of cord with two ends either side of a front corner. Pulling both ends at the same time will pull the 'nose' of the rubber's inner lip inside the body with a satisfying snap. Easier to do than describe.

Alex.

Return to “Parts Re-Manufacture Requests”