GTE's bAck n/s brake jamming on

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

Korporal brunhausen

Post by Korporal brunhausen » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:36 pm

A few days ago the n/s back wheel locked solid as I tried to back out of my drive. Tried to get the drum off and back off the adjuster all to no avail cos everything is seized solid.
I managed to get things to free up by nudging things back and forth on the engine but it soon jammed up again when either the handbrake or foot brake have to be applied. I can feel the car trying to swing around the seized wheel.
I've noticed that when things are jammed the handbrake won't pull up very far. If I've managed to free things up, the handbrake will pull up further.
Also the fluid in the reservoir seems to have dropped somewhat, but ther are no signs of leakage that I can see. I am wondering whether the servo is packing up on me. At this point I am unsure what to do next as I have little access to underneath the car, and obviously I can't move it anywhere currently.
A mate has suggested that a balancing valve in the brake circuit might be at fault. Can anyone provide any advice ?

rjudcsx
RSSOC Member

Post by rjudcsx » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:57 pm

What type of gte is it ? Richard .

rebel alliance

Post by rebel alliance » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:46 am

Take it apart find out whats broken replace with new parts...And no its not the servo

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:00 am

Best guess is one of the shoe retaining pins has failed but that’s a guess - won’t be the servo though.

Drum off - no other way to find out.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Post by adamwilkes » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:47 am

. . .or the friction material has slid off, leaving it jammed but with extra pedal travel (hence lowered fluid level).

Adam Wilkes
Scimitar GTE 5a 1973, kinda Highland Purple; after months of work, still a ruin!
I can't help myself - I have to ask questions and find out why. Why ? Dunno :shock:

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:53 am

SE6a IIRC ?.

Classic symptom of shoe material coming off and jamming, pretty rare occurrence in any case.
Just hope the adjuster is free enough to back it off all the way, or its a damaged drum or back plate trying to lever the drum off. :(

EDIT just read the statement about the adjuster being seized solid.

Undo the Two nuts holding the adjuster in place and pry off the big circlip holding the cylinder to the back plate, locate the Twist pins that are poking through the back plate and using pliers or mole grips twist them till they disappear into the drum, this should allow removal of the drum without wrecking the back plate or drum lip.

Mark Wilson. Garage sale everything must go. :cry:1 SE6b, 1 GTC Shell &1 SE6a shell & a Triumph Daytona. Also on YouTube :wink: lookup V8 Chevy https://youtu.be/lbpvDGAMY6g https://youtu.be/7xTrbr0ETSA https://youtu.be/K7HfYVd5Flo

Korporal brunhausen

Post by Korporal brunhausen » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:02 am

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll go down that route
as a start. One thing comes to mind though, would the gentle application of heat to the drum make things easier. I'm not talking serious heat,just modest blow lamp stuff, or will the drum tend to crack ?

Thanks again
John b

rebel alliance

Post by rebel alliance » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:22 am

No and maybe.

Scim8tar

Post by Scim8tar » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:42 am

If you have some heat, you would be better using it to free the brake adjuster, if it is a de-laminated shoe they can be a right pain to get free, if you can't get the drum to turn by de-adjusting then I would take Mark's advise.

Paul

Korporal brunhausen

Post by Korporal brunhausen » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:10 pm

Dunnit !

Wooden wedges eventually did the trick, if wood was good enough for the ww2 mosquito it's good enough for me.
The linings had completely separated from from the shoes on the one side only, and I now have to resist the notion to get the linings bonded back on for an easy refit........

Thanks again guys for the advice
John b.

Return to “General Technical Discussion”