eBay GTC Restoration (now with added MOT)

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

Taggers

Re: eBay GTC Restoration (now with added rust)

Post by Taggers » Tue May 18, 2010 5:17 pm

ALDI GRINDER ALERT!

1979 SE6A

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Tue May 18, 2010 5:27 pm

Taggers wrote:ALDI GRINDER ALERT!
:D :D :D

Oh I've got most of the Aldi air tools. Some have been in the packs for over a year. You see, you want, you buy, you don't use........ :roll:

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car, Honda S2000, VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Thu May 20, 2010 7:38 pm

Took the door cards off today to check out the door inners, and guess what ????

More rust....

The support structure for the lower hinges on both sides was nothing more than corn flakes. This explains the terrible door sagging. On a positive note the door frames look fine..

Spoke to Nigel at QRG to ask if he had any repair sections and he told me not to bother. In his experience he says that thickening the area with plenty of GRP is the best solution, and to get rid of as much of the steel work as possible. This sounds like a damn fine idea to me as it means I won't have to cut the door up to replace the steel work. Time is running out though, so I may get SP Automotive to do it whilst they're fixing all the stress cracks and doing the paint.

Whilst I was on the blower, I ordered a repair section for the bottom of the roll bar, a new windscreen seal and insert and a pair of swanky polished stainless steel sill covers. I shudder to think what the bill will be... :(

Steve
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu May 20, 2010 7:46 pm

Look on the bright side Steve - at least you didn't buy the stainless sill plates off e-bay! :lol:

....Roger

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Thu May 20, 2010 9:54 pm

Very true Roger....

Perhaps I should've bought half a dozen sets as eBay fodder to help pay for the restoration ?

Steve

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Wed May 26, 2010 8:30 pm

Another big parcel of goodies arrived today from Woolies. I'm please to say that all look to be nearly identical to the originals, and a quick trial fit proved it.

7 Meters of snappon PVC/Rubber door seal item code :- 266-BLK (You'd proably need an extra meter to do 2 GTE doors) £16.87
4 Meters of boot seal item code :- 268 (may fit GTE's but I'm not too sure) £8.56
3 Meters PVC edge trim (found on the GTC T-Bar and along the edge under the hood) item code :- 402 £6.39
2 Meters Window Weatherstrip (drop glass seals). item code :- 255 £9.36
1 Meter Velcro. item code :- 273-25 £2.28

All prices are + VAT

I also ordered 4 Meters of Pirelli webbing (£15.32), but I hadn't realised it was rubber coated :oops: . This is to space the hood bars, I may or may not use it.

Steve

dcw7095

Post by dcw7095 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:15 pm

Roger Pennington wrote:Look on the bright side Steve - at least you didn't buy the stainless sill plates off e-bay! :lol:

....Roger
I bought a pair of shiny stainless sill covers from Nigel too though to be honest not sure if they look any more original than the ones on ebay. Decent quality though.
scimitarcars.org.uk wrote:I had the trimmer call round last night. It looks like I'm going to have the front and rear seats done like this :-

The company is :- http://www.bespokecarinteriors.co.uk. They've just retrimmed the interior and put a new hood on the 1963 Earls Court Motorshow Sabre 6 convertible, and come highly recommended by its' owner.
Do let us know how you get on with the trimmer. I need to get my headlining fitted and am considering whether to bite the bullet and get seats recovered whilst I am at it.... High Leigh is not far from me so keen to hear your feedback.

Dave Watson
'79 SE6a Auto

"To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster." Stirling Moss

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Thu May 27, 2010 1:11 pm

I'll be taking the interior up to the trimmer on the 9th. So I should have the results back a couple of weeks after that.

Steve

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Fri May 28, 2010 10:14 pm

A bit more progress this week.

The inner sills are now finished. Rust proofed and glassed back into place.

My QRG order arrived and this is what the roll bar repair section looks like

Bumpers and lights finally removed. The bumpers took some persuading, but having done this job last year on HOM I knew where all the fastners were, and knew that the easiest way was to snap the rusty bolts with two big breaker bars with deep sockets.

ImageImage

Engine bay and under the car has been pressure washed. The galvanised areas have stood up to years of neglect really well, especially the front plate under the radiator. The nose cone supports are very good too (surprisingly)

ImageImageImageImage

This what the inner door supports look like......

And finally to boost my spirits, I got two very welcome deliveries today :-

ImageImage

I also took on two apprentices (start 'em young I say, it was either this or sweeping chimneys)

Steve

kennatt

Post by kennatt » Sun May 30, 2010 7:49 am

sorry to blag your thread steve but just a question. My gtc has three cracks in the nearside front window frame just on the rearwards edge,have you ever repaired this type of fault and if so how.cutting out or just full fibre glass reskinning round the whole frame.

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sun May 30, 2010 3:15 pm

kennatt wrote:sorry to blag your thread steve but just a question. My gtc has three cracks in the nearside front window frame just on the rearwards edge,have you ever repaired this type of fault and if so how.cutting out or just full fibre glass reskinning round the whole frame.
The usual way to tackle a crack is to drill it at either end to stop it spreading, grind out the crack to a "V" shape using a die grinder, thicken the crack up from behind with a few layers of fibreglass, then fill from the front with fine matting and resin, rub down etc etc.

However, I don't know if anyone was watching wheeler dealers the other night (Discovery Realtime, repeated on Discovery Shed) but Ed China was repairing the plastic nosecone of a BMW 840 ci with a system I haven't seen before. The procedure was as I've described above but more holes were drilled, a thickly resin soaked mat was applied from behind the crack allowing resin to push through all the holes completely filling them, a plastic sheet was applied to the front of the cracked area to smooth out the resin. When cured the plastic sheet is removed and the whole lot rubbed down. This was a really quick and effective repair. I would imagine that this is the kit that the smart repairers are using on bumpers and side trim at the moment.

Steve

samd

Post by samd » Mon May 31, 2010 10:20 pm

I remember using that system in the '70s There was a kit you could buy, Plastic Padding or someone, I think it was to fill a radio ariel hole and the bandage thingy was offered up from below and plastic tape stuff stuck over the top of the wing. When it went off, the plastic tape was removed and the whole lot blew in with an aerosol. I mean the whole lot, hole, pin stripes, windscreen rubber, corner of windscreen, even the wiper got a whiff. You get the idea :D

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Mon May 31, 2010 10:42 pm

Steve, that is exactly the kit that one of these smart repair companies used to repair my torn A2 bumper section, quick easy and once done you couldn't tell, doubt it would be much use on a scimitar, I reckon the fibreglass is far too thick, might be of use to the roadster crew though, similar sort of product to that bumpers are made of these days.
Mike

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door, Alfa Romeo GTV twinny
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If things are going well with the rebuild you've missed a part out

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon May 31, 2010 11:09 pm

That's almost exactly the technique that I've been using for years to deal with glass-fibre cracks (for example in bumpers where you've just thumped the foglamp through! :oops: ). Basically drill a hole at each end of the crack, then run a hacksaw blade along the crack to remove all the "furry" bits so the fibreglass will line up again (i.e. the equivalent of the row of drill holes), then fix material (plastic, alloy, even waxed cardboard may do) over the outside to hold it in place and seal the front, then lay-up fibreglass over the back to restore the panel to full strength. Finally remove the mould material from the front face and perform any final finishing required, and paint. Simples! :D

The grinding-out technique that you mentioned earlier is really intended for things like gell cracks, where the crack is only in the top layer and you want to remove it and restore strength without actually going right through the basically sound panel.

....Roger

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

samd

Post by samd » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:48 am

And then finish everything with an aerosol :D :D :D

Return to “Project Progress”