Wiper Motor Repair Guide

Have you documented a Scimitar related procedure and would like to share it with others? Pictures are most welcome!
Threads here also contain previous “stickies” from other sections, as a central location for quick reference information.

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward

JoeySully
RSSOC Member

Wiper Motor Repair Guide

Post by JoeySully » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:05 am

As the rain is expected this weekend I had also planned to work on the wiper motor. I haven't used them in the rain but when I swipe them in the dry they just move to the middle of the screen and die.

so here is a pic I took before I started to remember where the wires went back

Removal was quite easy. Remove the silver face on the motor then undo the cable to the wheel boxes from the motor. you need a set of very small spanners to do this or small vice grips. One bolt holds the bracket around the motor part. You only need to undo the one towards the front of the car. the other may hold the Coil/ballast resistor.

The connector is held onto the motor with a metal clip.

Once I got it to the bench I got the Plastic connector off
gave it a good cleaning out with WD40. You ca see the clip at the bottom of the plastic connector here that holds it to the body of the motor

Then I removed the two small bolts at the bottom of the motor to get access to the bushes. Look how dirty they are :o Nearly worn to bits too will have to replace soon.

Got the spindle out then - it just pulls out. gave it a good wipe down with a cloth being careful not to damage any wires.

I then cleaned the gunk and rust from the bottom of the motor caseing but it all stuck to the Magnets DOH! so had to carefully remove the magnets and clean them. Getting them back in was not easy though. Had to use an old hacksaw blade to lift the clamps up to get the magnet under them.

Cleaned all the old grease out of the mechanism and replaced with some 2009 stuff instead of the Smelly 30 year old gunk that was there.

Refitted the bushes to the top of the motor and fed the spindle into them. Its a bit tricky holding 3 of them so that you can fit the spindle. Use your thumb to hold one and index finger to hold the other two.

After that it was just a case of fitting the lower motor cover and tightening the long Bolts. Refitted the mechanism ensuring the wheel was at the same place as when I started. then brought it to the car and attached the drive cable and then the silver cover with all its wires - 3 earths as far as I can count !! whats with that!
Broke a clip too putting it back together :( it was very weak and bent - broke when I tried to straightened it. will have to get a new one. Mechanism works anyways.

so the moment of truth :) reconnected the battery and pulled both wipers off the windscreen held breath and pressed the swipe and it worked :) Put it on intermittent and checked the motor, all sounded ok. put the wipers down on the windscreen one by one and wow it had plenty of power even with a dry windscreen. It even works on fast now too. Will have to get new set of bushes soon for it but for now its all good. It took about 2 hours to get it of cleaned and back on but worth it as these are hard to come by or cost 50e or more.
Here is the after pic :) More electrics tomorrow - widow regulators :)

Last edited by JoeySully on Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

bazmobile

Wiper motor repair guide

Post by bazmobile » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:28 am

My passenger side wiper does not go all the way over to the left (looking from inside the car) but the driver side has no such problem !
Any ideas ?
Barry, Cornwall

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:32 am

99% sure it'll be a worn wheel box on the passenger side. You might be able to get another chance by removing the drive cable (gently..) and when the shaft stops turning on the wheel box, turn it 180 degrees then reinsert the cable. Bit of a fiddly job, but saves trying to access the wheelbox! This may have already been done on the drivers side - hence the reason it works!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

bazmobile

Wiper motor repair guide

Post by bazmobile » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:52 am

Ok will try that Phil
Many thanks again !!
Barry, Cornwall

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:41 pm

Hi Barry, Have you tried just moving the arm on the splines so that it does go all the way to the left? The reason I suggest that is that on the 6-series the wheelboxes are different, and the left hand (passenger) one has a much smaller sweep than the right hand (drivers) one. As long as it goes far enough to the right to reach the area swept by the right hand wiper then that's fine. It may be that a P.O. has set it with too much overlap in the middle.

cheers,

....Roger

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

spoon

Post by spoon » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:37 pm

Your photos and description have been invaluable, gave me the confidence to strip the motor and know I could put it back together again. I used them to do as much as I could to get the wipers going. In the end (using your guide) I discovered that I'd need to get a recon motor and new wiper rack and gears as all had worn out.

Many thanks for taking the time to post this guide

Stephanie

Stew & Steph
1985 SE6b GTE

toomanysabres
RIP

Post by toomanysabres » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:37 am

Just looked at some of those pictures.

Make very sure that the white wire cannot touch the case of the motor or any other earth.

Its from the ignition switch, not fused and will create mega grief in the main wiring harness at the least or worse still start a fire. Just ask Roger P. I had to spend quite a while repairing his main harness.

Check those blue terminals are properly crimped ie no sign of bare wire where it emerges from the strain relief section. I don't use them anymore. The proper crimp tool has twin jaws side by side () for the wire and <> for the insulation grip.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:36 pm

Yes indeed Geoff, you're right, the consequences were spectacular - a large cloud of mr Lucas' best smoke from under the bonnet and instant engine cut out (while doing 70ish in lane 2 of a local dual carriageway - not good). A temporary link from the battery got me home, but the wiring was charred beyond recognition and required a lot of reconstruction (thanks! :) ).

cheers,

....Roger

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

JoeySully
RSSOC Member

Post by JoeySully » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:45 pm

toomanysabres wrote:Just looked at some of those pictures.

Make very sure that the white wire cannot touch the case of the motor or any other earth.

Its from the ignition switch, not fused and will create mega grief in the main wiring harness at the least or worse still start a fire. Just ask Roger P. I had to spend quite a while repairing his main harness.

Check those blue terminals are properly crimped ie no sign of bare wire where it emerges from the strain relief section. I don't use them anymore. The proper crimp tool has twin jaws side by side () for the wire and <> for the insulation grip.
thanks for the Tip :) - i'll have to check that and improve.

cheers Joe

Gelcoat

Re: Wiper Motor Repair Guide

Post by Gelcoat » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:47 pm

Nice thread ,handy because mine aint working yet Joey

:D Tony

1983 6B
"Looks like im walking to Curbs, then the wife said she"d come with me ......ooo the pain....

PeteMac
RSSOC Member

Post by PeteMac » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:32 pm

Hi Joe

While you had the motor in bits, did you happen to see anything that would determine the parking position of the wipers? I'm sure I read somewhere that there's some tab or lug somewhere that should be reversed if the opposite parking position is required. I've had a quick look at my motor, but couldn't see anything.

I was sure I read it here - http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/prod_wipers.html - but it only refers to a Lucas information leaflet.

Any info would be appreciated. (My wipers park at the wrong end of their sweep - hence my question.)

Cheers
Peter

1987 1800Ti
(previous 1975 SE5a, 1968 GT)

JoeySully
RSSOC Member

Post by JoeySully » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:48 am

PeteMac wrote: did you happen to see anything that would determine the parking position of the wipers?

Its built into the switch - at work at the mo so cant see my photos(blocked) but here is one

there is a little plastic Pin that will keep power going to the motor until the pin is pushed.
you can see it at the top of the picture.

My wipers seem to to stop a few inches short of the bottom of the windscreen. In heavy rain they will go to the bottom though.

this is the cheapest i have found. cheaper than ebay too

wdavie

Post by wdavie » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:09 pm

The wipers on my SE6 seem to work backwards. I read somewhere that this could be due to the wires being in the wrong way. Any hints greatly appreciated.

colincolby
RSSOC Member

Post by colincolby » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:34 pm

Having problems with my rear wiper motor (hesitant starting probably due to dirty connectors, now cleaned), I took it out and on the bench found that the park button was not making, so shifted the connector assemby a little so the slider on the operating arm depressed it o.k. On reassembly into the car the motor works but will not now continue on to park when I switch the wiper off! So to investigate further does anyone have a circuit diagram of the motor assembly, to identify which wire does what? I found to my surprise that, with the ignition on and the wiper switch off, the only live wire was the yellow/green one, which goes direct to one of the motor brushes, when I would have expected the brown/green one to be live, as I believe this is the one in the park button circuit. It may be that the wiring behind the on/off switch is incorrectly connected, or some such, though I haven't had time to look at that yet. Any advice welcome, but especially a circuit diagram.
Colin Colby

steve bryant

Post by steve bryant » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:30 pm

to change the parking from left to right there is a white plastic "bridge" on the drive gear inside the motor. this is removable and can be positioned 180 degrees on the drive wheel to enable opposite parking.
over the years we have come uop with a good way of testing the wipers and making sure you put the arms on facing the CORRECT park position. after the rebuild and you are ready to test, remove both arms and put a piece of masking tape around both wiper spindles sticking out of the body and make it stand up like a little pointer.this will tell you they are working in the correct action.when you are happy everything is ok then switch of the wipers at the switch and allow to park.
now re-fit the arms and re-test with a wet screen, re-position park hieght if required.

Return to “How To Guides/FAQs”