Argh !!! oil pressure pipe how i hate you

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

maestroman
RSSOC Member

Argh !!! oil pressure pipe how i hate you

Post by maestroman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:44 pm

Hi all,

Just a quick rant about my SE5a. Its been off the road for nearly two years having a new wiring loom fitted ( my myself )

Its starts up, i have got a good spark, very lumpy tick over..... and i have a warm foot?? How random. :cry:

Turns out I have a slight leak on the oil pressure pipe at the gauge end. Tried to tighten it up..... and i have stripped the thread off the gauge!!! Gutted!! I am just hoping i haven`t damaged the pipe.

Not happy.

Is the oil pressure pipe ended? Or English is one end supposed to go on the gauge and one on the block? Either way i need a new gauge.

Totally and utterly gutted...........

Cheers
Stephen

http://s843.photobucket.com/albums/zz351/maestroman1/

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Re: Argh !!! oil pressure pipe how i hate you

Post by philhoward » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:57 pm

I've had "warm leg syndrome" on mine - partly due to a lack of sealing washer on the gauge end (and a non-standard pipe due to the non-standard engine).

I've got an old plastic pipe hanging up in the garage but wouldn't put it on a car - too brittle (unless in an emergency). Got a few gauges spare though :mrgreen: as I thought I'd got a faulty one...and then looked further when the replacement also "leaked" :?

Stainless hose from the usual suspects and I can put you a gauge in the post if needed?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:58 pm

Oh - and don't forget to insulate the new braided hose where it goes behind the dash otherwise it might make a mess of the new loom...

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

maestroman
RSSOC Member

Post by maestroman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:15 pm

philhoward wrote:Oh - and don't forget to insulate the new braided hose where it goes behind the dash otherwise it might make a mess of the new loom...

That was what caused the loom to be replaced. Something ( the ignition light i think ) fused against the pipe and made a hole. Hot oil all over the loom and dash. Wosh, no more wiring loom. :(

The pressure pipe is new, but i bought it about 9 months ago and there is no washer on the end that attaches to the gauge. Could be my problem them? But the thread on the back of the gauge is defiantly stripped.

Thanks for the offer of the gauge. I have just replied to a wanted add, so i will see if that comes through. I am off to my parents tomorrow in Norfolk so the blokes garage is just around the corner, if he has one. Nice and simple i hope.

If not i will take you up on the offer, thanks for that.

I have also found two more tatty interior grab handles, one brown and one black if you want to add them to your collection? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Stephen

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:19 pm

Think I've managed to make a set now on the grab handles..

Yep - should be a small (fibre?) washer which tends to live either on the end of the gauge stub or get stuck in the end of the pipe union. Miss it out = wet leg.

If you're off to close to CHG, may as well take advantage of the situation..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:24 pm

maestroman wrote: Is the oil pressure pipe ended? Or English is one end supposed to go on the gauge and one on the block? Either way i need a new gauge.
To answer that particular question, the ends are different threads - the gauge end is the finer thread.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

maestroman
RSSOC Member

Post by maestroman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:40 pm

Roger Pennington wrote:
maestroman wrote: Is the oil pressure pipe ended? Or English is one end supposed to go on the gauge and one on the block? Either way i need a new gauge.
To answer that particular question, the ends are different threads - the gauge end is the finer thread.

Yep.... i think that is what i have done. Put it on the wrong way around.......idiot :oops:

Cheers
Stephen

JoeySully
RSSOC Member

Post by JoeySully » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:41 pm

Happened me once too after removing the gauge, I ran the engine! only realised after I had run the engine for a few mins. Luckily it was nice new oil. Smell would have been much worse if it was old oil. Ended up changing the carpet and underlay anyway.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:14 pm

Well, I've come up with a couple of photos which may help:

Here are the old pipe ends - the large one on the left is the block end (note the coarse thread) and the small one on the right is the gauge end (fine thread)

These are the new pipe ends. Looking at the large one on the left, you might easily think it was the engine end (I did, until I found the threads didn't match). In fact, looking at them close up, you can see the small one on the right has the coarse thread, and is the block end, the other end has the fine thread and is the gauge end.

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

hylton1806

Post by hylton1806 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:34 pm

:oops: Hello,just noticed your comment re insulating the new pipe.What would you suggest using to insulate it.
Hylton.

My Dad said " Any fool can drive fast in a straight line its the corners that catch them out"

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:36 pm

I use heatshrink but any plastic insulator would do.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Elizabeth's dad
RSSOC Member

Post by Elizabeth's dad » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:38 pm

I use petrol hose cut along its length as sheathing

Jim

Membership No. 1779
SE5/5a Registrar

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:46 pm

I used this split cable sheathing (though I bought it locally).

....Roger

maestroman
RSSOC Member

Post by maestroman » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:11 am

Roger Pennington wrote:Well, I've come up with a couple of photos which may help:

Here are the old pipe ends - the large one on the left is the block end (note the coarse thread) and the small one on the right is the gauge end (fine thread)

These are the new pipe ends. Looking at the large one on the left, you might easily think it was the engine end (I did, until I found the threads didn't match). In fact, looking at them close up, you can see the small one on the right has the coarse thread, and is the block end, the other end has the fine thread and is the gauge end.

Thats what i have done. I am not sure if i have stripped the thread off the pipe, but I am guessing so. I never even thought to check which end went where.

Thanks for the picture, i can clearly see the coarse and fine thread now. Bugger......

Cheers
Stephen

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:12 am

The pipe should be a steel union and the gauge is brass I think, so you might have got away with it..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

Return to “General Technical Discussion”