Why don't people fix anything any more ?

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

Corky
RSSOC Member

Why don't people fix anything any more ?

Post by Corky » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:45 pm

I've been ill and off work for the last week :( , so was feeling pretty sorry for myself. This was made even worse when the TV decided it had had enough too, and went into permanent standby mode :evil:

Like I'm sure most people do nowadays, I thought that that was that and I'd have to replace it. After all there can't be that many parts inside a modern TV that can be fixed, can there ?

Anyway, I decided to have a look on Google and see if there were any know faults with Samsung LCD TVs that I should know about. As it turned out there is a very common fault, where the TV appears to stay in standby mode but makes a clicking sound. That's what mine was doing !

A few mouse clicks later and I'd found a YouTube video showing me how to repair it, and a kit on eBay with all the parts to fix it (5 X Capacitors, 1 X EEPROM, 1 length of solder wick and 20cm of solder). The kit was £7.98 delivered.

Faced with a choice of having it repaired professionally £££'s ?, A new TV for £600+ or a kit for under a tenner, well it doesn't take genius to work out that I'd go for the kit every time :lol: And of course I had plenty of time on my hands in between feeling ill and sleeping a lot.

The kit arrived pretty quickly, and it didn't take long to de-solder the capacitors (after checking they were discharged of course) and fit the new ones to the power board. I screwed the TV back together and expectantly pressed the ON button. It still clicked and the screen stayed black ......... bugger !
The next stage of the repair (if stage one wasn't successful) was to fit a new EEPROM to the main board. The chip has 8 prongs and measures approx 8mm long, so you can guess it was pretty fiddly to install. To make matters worse it was surface mounted, so I had to tape it down to tack on a couple of prongs. It was also very intricate and a real struggle to get just the right amount of solder on without shorting anything.
So I screwed it all back together, covered my eyes (it was either that or fingers in ears) and pressed the ON button again. :D Success, it only bloody worked 8)

I am most definitely not any sort of electronics expert. I know very little indeed. My soldering skills are pretty basic, but I do have a steady hand. I learnt how to do this repair solely by watching a couple of videos. If I can do it, I'm sure most people can.

Now this brings me back to the title of my post. Why don't people fix anything anymore ?

When I was kid I would always find my Dad fixing something around the house, be it a toaster, kettle, radio etc. My Grandfather was the same, he'd have a go at fixing anything, and quite often if he needed something he'd make it (You should've seen the photographic enlarger he built :D ). And these guys didn't have YouTube !

So far this year (from YouTube videos) I've fixed the dishwasher, the fridge, put a new battery in an iPhone and repaired my printer. All of these things were on the verge of being scrapped.

Am I just tight, or does anyone else do this ? :w
Last edited by Corky on Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car, Honda S2000, VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

manny
RSSOC Member

Re: Why don't people fix anything any more ?

Post by manny » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:14 pm

with you on that:

i fixed my smartphone touch screen, misses oven control panel, washing machine control panel.....as you state only because my father would be trying to fix stuff around the house, now damn social networks etc fixate kids...no hobbies.....

good fix...it's amazing what a mind can do once focused...

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:28 pm

Sky boxes have a similar fault and a similar fix .
Economically if it's worth trying then do it , otherwise recycle

Or alternatively in a disposable consumer driven society you might just see this as the excuse you need to get the latest model

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

MickP

Post by MickP » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:29 pm

For years I have made a very good living fixing and maintaining old industrial equipment and you are right, no one (or very few) fixes (fix) things nowadays.

The job I do is not what I would call a good job but it is very well paid and secure as there is a very serious shortage of people with the right skills to be able to do it. Maintenance and repair is just not seen as glamorous enough to entice people into it, that together with the fact that most people just seem to have embraced the throwaway society I suppose.

There are some - like Scimitar owners 8) - who are fighting for the cause :lol: .

Michael.

SOLD: 1978 SE6a Auto.
1997 Ducati 900SS - Last carb. model.
1960 BSA Bantam D7 - more "fun" than the Ducati.
1998 Honda CG125 - great in slow traffic.
1981 Suzuki SB200 2-stroke twin - undergoing rebuild.
Gallery Project
“Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards.” - Aldous Huxley.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:35 pm

I'm managing to keep my boiler going with replacement parts and a bit of ingenuity along the way and if there's a fix for something, I'm all for it. Sadly the prices of some of the parts exceeds a replacement cost for some consumer items but that might well be designed into a product these days...and doesn't just apply to TVs etc.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

backpain

Post by backpain » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:46 pm

Yes I fix things like the oven,tumble dryer I even tried fixing old cars but not very good at that :D john

Miss Moneypenny Coupe

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:51 pm

Coupe' Racing wrote: Or alternatively in a disposable consumer driven society you might just see this as the excuse you need to get the latest model
That's very true. I've fancied one of those 3D Smart TV's for a while, and this would've been the perfect opportunity to convince swmbo that we needed one. Possibly it was an opportunity missed :lol: but I'm happier at the saving of a few hundred quid.

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car, Honda S2000, VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

gerryg

Post by gerryg » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:14 pm

Our central heating system has an exterior oil storage tank (obviously) and has a sender unit to a receiver indoors. "Sorry, they're a sealed unit, so you'll need a new one.....£29" something plus Vat plus call out etc., My brain seems to work on the basis that; if it goes in, it can usually come out. Pick off plastic tape, knock brass end cap off using suitably sized ring spanner, tip out old batteries, replace with new, knock end cap back on and seal back up. Job done :-)

Oaksey
RSSOC Member

Post by Oaksey » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:34 pm

gerryg wrote:Our central heating system has an exterior oil storage tank (obviously) and has a sender unit to a receiver indoors. "Sorry, they're a sealed unit, so you'll need a new one.....£29" something plus Vat plus call out etc., My brain seems to work on the basis that; if it goes in, it can usually come out. Pick off plastic tape, knock brass end cap off using suitably sized ring spanner, tip out old batteries, replace with new, knock end cap back on and seal back up. Job done :-)
Yes, like everything now, even cars. Modern Range Rover gearboxes have a little sticker by the drain and filler plugs saying "sealed for life" :lol:
manny wrote: now damn social networks etc fixate kids...no hobbies.....
:W

Josh Oakes
2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 SSSC Champion
1974 Yellow Se5a Overdrive
1971 Blue Jaguar XJ6
1966 Blue Coupe Straight Six
Previous- Coupe S6,
SS1 Ti, E90 SS1 Ti, SE6a x3, SE5 Auto, SS1 CVH, Mk2 Sabre, Rebel Estate

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:35 pm

However if it comes to holding onto useless broken old poo just in case it could be used is at some point then that's a step too far

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:32 pm

One reason for the disposable society we've become, is cost. For example, it's cheaper to buy a new printer from Tesco every couple of months, than it is to buy new ink cartridges!! It's cheaper to pay a "fitter" to replace a Range Rover gearbox if it goes wrong or wears out, than it is to train and maintain an " engineer".

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Post by Terry H » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:01 pm

I usually have a go at repairing something before chucking it on the principle that if it's already broke I cant brake it. I fixed my dishwasher after the extended waranty I was paying for paid out £250 for a replacement after the engineer said it was too old to get parts for. It was the pump packed in. I went on line to http://www.espares.co.uk/browse/ca1/kitchen-appliances and bought a pump for it for £20+ P+P and I've had it running now for 5 years. Also fitted a new screen and graphics card to a laptop for a freinds daughter who then told me she did'nt want it repaired so I had a £250 laptop for the cost of the parts. Other repairs include my halogen hob and my built in oven. Next job is my washer/dryer. I do sometimes have a go at cars, but not very good at that.
Regards Terry H

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:44 pm

Yes quite agree Steve, SEAT wanted £1500 off me when my cars ABS pump went, managed to get a £1200 contribution from them for it, now I am hearing that VAG group have wised up and are now repairing them, I could have had mine repaired but couldn't have had it removed, repaired and refitted for the money it cost me not to mention being without the car for maybe a week, sadly charging around the country, good as it sounds in a Scimitar, isn't really appealing to me, I like to enjoy the drive not do pitch battles on the M6 in them

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer

Gillsfan

Post by Gillsfan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:03 pm

I drive my wife mad, nothing in our house is broken until I've had it on bits to see if I can fix it. She would just like to get new stuff most of the time.

Steve

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about

1969 SE 5 Manual O/D Rat Rod
RSSOC Jaffa cakes in a minute champion

swoakes
RSSOC Member

Post by swoakes » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:16 pm

scimitarcars.org.uk wrote:That's very true. I've fancied one of those 3D Smart TV's for a while, and this would've been the perfect opportunity to convince swmbo that we needed one. Possibly it was an opportunity missed :lol: but I'm happier at the saving of a few hundred quid.
On the plus side fixing the TV must be worth a massive amount of brownie points with SWMBO

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”