SS1 bushes and shocks.

Moderators: philhoward, Gillsfan, Roger Pennington, Gemini Bob, toomanysabres, erikscimitardemon

Re: SS1 bushes and shocks.

Postby CNHSS1 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:21 pm

they're bushes, what do you need to know? :lol:

stainless tubes have gotta be the way to go though, fit and forget, i detest fitting polys once, would hate to have to do it again in 5-10 years on the same car
Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Drastic Plastic' 360hp!!
CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Postby geoff corderoy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:38 pm

For all you cheapskates out there (me included) I have looked into the cost of these bushes and the lowest seemed to be about £160 for all bottom and top front. I have now found a supplier who has sold me a complete set of upper and lower front bushes for a chevette made by Superpro in medium hardness polyurethane with what appear to be stainless tubes/cases for the sum of £110 approx including delivery!
Bushes all look good and are now fitted but bottom ones really need some pressure (fly press would be best).
Anyway the bushes can be quoted through Euan on coghill71@yahoo.co.uk. Delivery depends on stock held at time of order and I have advised him that he may be contacted by club members.
Whilst writing I now understand why the bottom bushes can fail so quickly, the designers chose different angles for the bush pivots so the bushes have to distort every time the suspension moves!
Geoff
geoff corderoy

Postby Alan SS1 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:48 pm

The reason for the bushes being 'mis-aligned' is to do with anti squat or anti dive or some other 'anti' . I do remember reading about it MANY years ago.

Yes it does seem to shred the bushes (mostly the rear one sof bottom wishbone) and I think I will have to cut bolts to remove mine as the are stuck to inner tube which has parted company!
Alan SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), Regal 330 (VAV ---), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 (EVU ---L)
(not always in this order)
Alan SS1

Postby scimdiesel » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:33 am

Polybushes are all well and good, They tend to be prevelent in the classsic and modified markets.

1. Tooling is cheep and the process lends itself to low volume manufacture well.
2. It has exellent oil resistance.
3. Often comes with stainless inner tubes, which are precieved as good
4. Generally made in stiffer shore hardnesses than O.E parts
5. great marketing.

Things to consider

If you don't ad some grease or alike between the bolt and the stainless tube the bolt will rust much faster than normal due to galvanic corosion... When trying to remove the rear trailing arms on my 5A I really suffered because on one I'd not greased one on assembly 5 years before. The sleeve was solid to the bolt and made a 10 minute job last all day

Most people only change bushes when they are knackered, and would find a huge improvement even it they where fitting rubber new.

Since in many cases scimitar parts are fr0m other cars there is no garentee the original spec parts where actually suitable for the scimitar in the first place.

Your suspension is there to seperate you from the road. Making the bushes stiffer will not isolate you better, although it will help keep they wheels aligned better.

Polyurethane acts as a spring but not as a Damper. Technically the difference being that Polyurethane can absorb an impact but does not absorb much of the energy so it lets it back out ASAP. Where as rubber tends to absorb some of the energy so there is less bounce back. I would never advise you buy Polyurethane bumpstops... they are OK to stop the car hitting the ground but after load up of force they will chuck the car back up without absorbing any energy. Expanded foam polyurethane is completly different as a bumps top material and has excellenent properties

For this reason Most serious Damper manufactures use Rubber for bushes and not Poly. Unless there are other factors which out way the performance benefits of rubber. Like MArketing, low tooling costs, fitment in oily enviroments or ease of fit for 4X4 people.

My se5a is fully poly bused and has been for years... My only complaint really is that the rear axle trailing arm buses are to stiff and prevent the axle articulating as well as it should.
EX scimitar diesel owner :(
engineering@spaxperformance.com
scimdiesel

Postby Heathrowsteve » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Found this listing for compatible vehicles for anti roll bar link pin and chassis bushes for the SS1. Kits for all the cars listed will fit the SS1

BMW>1600/ 2002>67-76 Saloon
Front Anti Roll Bar Link Bush Kit 1
8 bushes in kit
Opel>Ascona C >75-81 Hatchback/Saloon/Estate
Opel>Ascona D>82-88 Hatchback/Saloon/Estate
Opel>Kadett D/E>79-91 Hatchback/Saloon/Estate/Van
inc GTE
Opel>Opel Manta B>75-81 Coupe
Opel>Rodeo>98-02 4x4
R7 4WD
Front Sway Bar Link Bush Kit 1
Reliant>Scimitar SS1>84-90
Vauxhall>Astra I>79-84 Hatchback/Saloon/Estate/Van
inc GTE
Vauxhall>Astra II>84-91 Hatchback/Saloon/Estate/Van
inc GTE
Vauxhall>Cavalier I>75-81 Hatchback/Saloon/Estate
Vauxhall>Cavalier II>82-88 Hatchback/Saloon/Estate
Vauxhall>Rodeo/Brava>98-02 4x4
R7 4WD
Heathrowsteve

Postby Heathrowsteve » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:41 pm

Got my anti roll bar bushes (rubber ones) complete with new bolts and sleeves from QRG for £24. Now.....to find the time to fit them
Heathrowsteve

Postby reliant-reviver » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:41 pm

NOTE regards upper wishbone bushes. I can now confirm (because I finally took a moment to double check what I suspected for a long tim)
Due to Reliant changing the design of the spacers along the fulcrum, different bushes will be required to those found in the Chevette application.

Chevette and SS1 UP TO CHASSIS 104
2 of Upper wishbone front bush (1 peice), SF306-1553KSS
2 of Upper wishbone rear bush (2 peice), SF306-1552KSS

SS1 AFTER CHASSIS 104 and all Sabre type vehicles
4 of Upper wishbone front bush (1 peice), SF306-1553KSS

Should save a few people having the old classic wrestling match to refit the wishbones after installing polybushes.
Philip Andrew
Small Sports Registrar
Resident hoarder of all things SS1
ss1.registrar@rssoc.co.uk
reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Postby reliant-reviver » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:31 pm

For those who wish to debate the above, here is a picture...

Early (pre Chassis 104) wishbone ontop of a later one.
Philip Andrew
Small Sports Registrar
reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Postby scimjim » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:06 pm

Never owned a pre #105 car but presumably you could just use the later bushes and fit the spacers?
Jim King

Current: 8Ball, G97, diesel 5a & WOW.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, 2 x GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1400 SS1, Mk1 & Mk1.5 Sabre.
Chief mechanic for: The Flying Broomstick, Megan, snotty, Spiv & "Number One".
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS
scimjim
RSSOC Member

Postby reliant-reviver » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:24 pm

The point of the above posts is that most if not all of the poly bush suppliers incorrectly list the SS1 as taking the "chevette" application for bushes, which actually only applies to SS1s pre 104. For perfect fitment on a chassis post 104 your require 4 of the same type bush, which is the front pair only on the Chevette, so order 2 sets of those.

Many people have now fitted the early bush set on later cars, knowing no better, and in most cases have struggled greatly in doing so, having to wrangle the wishbone into place using force. I should know, I'm one of them!

So, there ya go.
Maybe I should inform the polybush suppliers of this to save others who have not read this post the grief.
Philip Andrew
Small Sports Registrar
reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Postby scimjim » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:46 pm

ah - see what you mean. I got mine from QRG and I don't think he asked for chassis number - perhaps it's worth an email to Nigel and GW (copy to RD & Superflex)?
Jim King

Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, 2 x GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1400 SS1, Mk1 & Mk1.5 Sabre.
scimjim
RSSOC Member

Postby richardvernon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:20 pm

Quick question re the rear trailing arm bushes on pre-galv chassis- is it the inner or the outer bush that is the longer tube and does it make a difference anyway?

As a bit of an explanation, I replaced the rear trailing arm bushes on My 85 ss1(chassis 300-ish) about 15+ years ago(before Scimweb) and I remember that the new ones were all much too long to fit in the chassis so, assuming it was just some Reliant variation in tolerance, I just reduced the bush tube length so that each individual bush was a nice fit in its idividual mounting.I then pressed in the bushes into the arms(being careful not too mix them up....) and everything went together just nicely.With hindsight I realise I must have been sent the long tube bushes from GW.

However now armed with the knowledge that there are is supposed to be a short tube and a long tube for each trailing arm on the( later?)pre-galvers and having re-examined the lengths of the tubes on my soon to be replaced knackered bushes it isnt immediately apparent which are supposed to/should be the long ones.I suspect it should be the inner ones.
1985 SS1 cvh. Galvanizing is for wusses with no sense of adventure.......
richardvernon
RSSOC Member

Postby scimjim » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:42 pm

viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=4&t=13123&p=126241&hilit=Trailing+arm+bush#p126241

Roger says inner tube needed shortening but doesn't say whether that's the inner or outer bush - can you tell from the picture?
Jim King

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Postby Roger Pennington » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:13 pm

To add to what I said in that note, mine is a late galv car (chassis >1200). IIRC (and bear in mind I'm having to remember from 2005, and I been out in an icy wind all day, so may be a bit fuddled) I had to shorten the inner sleeve of both inner and outer bushes. It was a particular pain as I was using bonded metallastic bushes, so I couldn't push the sleeve through and cut one end, I had to cut both ends :roll: . I may still have the evidence if I do a bit of digging in the archives, though it won't be immediate.

HTH
....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye
Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Postby scimjim » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:20 pm

If not, I can measure up both types later this week.
Jim King

scimjim
RSSOC Member

PreviousNext

Return to SS1/SST/Sabre