iMac buying help please !

Having problems with RSS? Outlook? Windows?

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Terry Rickard

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:29 pm

Can anyone recommend which Apple iMac to buy. I'm thinking of :-

Apple iMac 21.5" All-In-One Desktop PC (LED Backlit Screen, 3.06Ghz, Core-i3, 4Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD, ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics, Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

But as a Mac virgin, I've no idea what's good and what's not.

I have an iPod and an iPhone, and have decided I like Apple products 8) . Also I'm fed up with crappy virus ridden, blue screen wielding, slow booting PC's......... :evil: so I fancy a change.

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car, Honda S2000, VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

erikscimitardemon
RSSOC Member

Re: iMac buying help please !

Post by erikscimitardemon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:46 pm

When buying a Mac, it is more about what you can aford than what specs do I need :D
Seriously, any IMac does perform well enough. You don't have to go for a real fast one with a big screen unless you want to work with video and photo software (.raw files).
A nice feature is Virtual machine, that allows you to run Windows inside OSX.
So this is my view on Macs, this reply was written on an IPad.

Erik Hofman
http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

Scimitarweb Webteam / Forum Administrator

dead scimitar

Post by dead scimitar » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:59 pm

according to what you need a mac to do you can get a lot of machine in a laptop which is what i am currently typing on it has all i need and i use it for work to teach photography. also have a g5 early model that is awesome but generally i use the i book more than the G5 as i can take it with me even into the garage. the higher the spec ibook the better. the slim ones are just for the apple lovers not necessarily offering more computer.

Landyman
RSSOC Member

Post by Landyman » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:29 pm

Hi
As a convert from the dreaded PC and all the waiting and viruses that go with them I congratulate you on a wise choice. I run an I mac (one of the first with Intel innards) which I tend to use for video and photographic work. Brill piece of kit linked to 2 external hard drives (1gig and .5gig, video work is memory hungry), a video converter,a vhs video, a 8mm video deck and printer etc. Difficult to have that lot attached to a laptop. I also have a macbook pro with a .5gig external hard drive to back up to, great for sitting in front of TV and surfing the net. The chief has a Mac mini linked to a large screen LCD television - great for looking at videos produced. I still have to run a PC style laptop for my sins just for things that don't run on Macs. Daughter has macbook also which she thinks is magic.

To aid you choice it does depend on what you want to do with it but would suggest buy the machine which has the largest hard disc memory and have some other form of backup for important material. My machines have been brilliant (touch wood). They are expensive but from switch on to using in less that 30 secs and shutting down in less has got to be worth it just for sanity!!!!!!!

Good luck
Landyman

iankimpton

Post by iankimpton » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:02 pm

Steve,

As a dedicated Mac user, my opinion would for the largest screen, ie. the 27", which the most expensive spec you can afford. This should last you a good few years at least. Depending on the level of usage for photos / video editing - being an "average" user, then the model your suggesting should be more than adequate.

Drop me a private note, as have some more info on buying that may save you a couple of pounds.... ;-:

Cheers

Ian

dcw7095

Post by dcw7095 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:24 pm

I agree for the most part with the previous comments. In particular the one about going down the route of a laptop. We have just converted all our staff to Macs, already use iPhones across the board and are now starting to buy Mini-Mac servers (fantastic value for money).

I would recommend a MacBook Pro 17". The bigger screen is great, you also get more expansion slots than the 15" laptop, and you can plug it into a large monitor on the desk with an external macbook keyboard to get the same experience as a desktop. The latest thin line machines are really cool, but a Macbook Pro has plenty of power. You don't need to invest in Mac monitors (very expensive) - we have bought decent spec 24" Dell screens. They were circa £380 per screen cheaper than the Apple equivalent (which adds up times 14 staff).

Apple Centres are usually great too - often running free training sessions. They offer us excellent lease packages which could be another route to investigate.

Our internal support overhead has dropped drastically since moving to Apple. Generally speaking - they just 'work'!

Dave Watson
'79 SE6a Auto

"To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster." Stirling Moss

ScimitarMatt
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimitarMatt » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:38 pm

Steve, give me a ring next week, I may be able to buy from Apple direct with a big discount (possibly 33%)

cheers, Matt

http://www.scimitargt.co.uk
RSSOC Coupe Registrar & Press Officer
coupe.registrar@rssoc.co.uk

PLEASE NO PM'S, EMAIL ME

'64 SE4, '70 SE4b,'75 SE5a, & Yvonnes SS1 Ti

fuego1971

Post by fuego1971 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:16 pm

Just in the throes of buying an older imac for use with artwork. I'd definitely go for the best spec you can afford. If you're doing image work then the biggest screen with the most RAM and processor speed the better. If it's for general use as a PC replacement then the spec you put in the post will be fine.

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:39 pm

you'll also be amazed at how the mac's architecture runs circles around any MS orientated system, and Windows itself is a bad ripoff of Linux from years ago. I've used the top of the range iMacs for years with university work now, it'll take a bit of getting used to, however with Mac's being able to also handle multiple tasks with little or no slowdown if i had a spare 1500 quid i'd buy myself the latest iMac loaded to the hilt with all the options i could tick

Tom "DemonBlueDays" Williams

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

1979 Se6a Manual Overdrive "Link"

Formerly RSSOC #3185 - Must renew eventually....

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:30 am

And there was I thinking it was the computer equivalent of a Betamax video. The last Apple computer I used on regular basis was an Apple IIe, remember them ? It was much better than my Oric 1.

Anyway, by the sounds of it buying a Mac is a very good idea. I'm all ears for the potential discounts so I'll send you a pm later Ian and Matt I'll be giving you a shout too. I'm looking for a desktop rather than a laptop as it's my current deskbound pc that's driving me bananas at the moment. Its one of many I've built myself over the years so I can only blame Microsoft for it's shortfalls (well I couldn't possibly take the blame myself).

Thanks very much for the words of wisdom guys, if anyone has anything more to add please do.

Cheers

Steve

Steve
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:40 pm

Thanks to everyone for your help with this. Especially Matt & Ian for pointing me in the direction of good deals on Hardware & Software. I'm about to embark on unpacking my new iMac, I could be offline for quite a while...........

Steve

ScimitarMatt
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimitarMatt » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:48 pm

scimitarcars.org.uk wrote:Thanks to everyone for your help with this. Especially Matt & Ian for pointing me in the direction of good deals on Hardware & Software. I'm about to embark on unpacking my new iMac, I could be offline for quite a while...........
I knew it would arrive quickly but that is pretty impressive. Happy to help

Don't get too carried away though and forget to come and see us at the Trafford Show ;)

PLEASE NO PM'S, EMAIL ME

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:09 pm

Well here I am on my Mac..... That didn't take very long.

Don't worry Matt, you'll have the benefit of my company tomorrow. I'm hoping to be there just before 9am, and will give Ade a ring so he can let me in... :lol: I promise to behave....

Steve

ScimitarMatt
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimitarMatt » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:14 pm

Behave? since when have you ever done that? ;)

I'll open my webasto roof for you so you can feel more at home with the wind in your ears ;)

PLEASE NO PM'S, EMAIL ME

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:46 am

I thought I'd see if this thread still existed. It obviously does :roll:

It's now seven and a half years since buying the iMac. And I'm still using it. It slowed down over the years due to hungrier OS updates, so I got a bit fed up with it the other day and very nearly bought a new one :hand:

However, a bit of googling as to how to speed up an old Mac, lead me to a recommendation to fit an SSHD hard drive (This is the solid state jobbie, with no moving parts). So for £200 (a new iMac is £1700), I thought I'd give it a whirl. It worked like magic, the iMac is back up to speed, easily as fast if not quicker than when I first got it. It's also completely silent in operation, and boots up in just 45 seconds (It was 4 minutes). RESULT :hurrah:

So the purpose of this post is to put the info out there, that if your PC or Mac is running incredibly slow and still has the old style mechanical hard drive, fit an SSD for a fraction of the price of new computer.

If upgrading an iMac, you'll also need a 2.5 to 3.5 SATA drive carrier, and a little device to fool the iMac that you're monitoring the HDD temperature. It'll work without one of these, but the fans will run continuously. I'll be doing my windows laptop next !

Costs:- 1TB SSHD £150, Temp monitor bypass £39, HDD cradle £12

Steve

Return to “Computer Problems and Solutions”