Mikey Bikey's Scimega

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Mikey Bikey's Scimega

Post by Old and Slow » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:16 pm

Perhaps I worry too much!!! :D

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

MikeyBikey

Mikey Bikey's Scimega

Post by MikeyBikey » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:37 pm

ok thanks for all the support, desperately trying to get her ready for curbs. I'm pretty certain I wont make sat (due to extended family commitments I cant control) but I have a pass to go sunday so trying v hard to make it with the orange bus.

The nature of the engine change makes her ineligible for sprinting until I have a multipoint roll cage fitted, which tbh, I want anyway. So the appearance will be just to meet all you guys again :D :D rather than competing although she will compete once I have the cage fitted and everything bedded in.

Today I fitted exhausts including lambda sensors. Wired in the lpg solenoids. I had deliberately left them off to reduce risk of accidental leaks whilst working on the wiring.

Its odd, the number of big jobs is diminishing , all my storage boxes are emptying but the list of daft little jobs is simply growing. And of course need to put the doors on, dash in, and make a cover for the tunnel .....

The prop is on order and I'm praying they deliver on time. That's the last real obstacle. They've had all the details and an omega prop delivered to them (to help) for a couple of weeks but every time I phone them I talk to a different person who doesn't really remember so I've resorted to recapping everything in an email and politely pleading for delivery next week rather than get pissy.

Gearshift is lush , just hoping when the engine is running the clutch is the same....

The ecu is all plumbed in. Just reading the manual and hopefully get her running tomorrow or over the weekend. I'm not overly bothered about top performance to start with. Just get her running.

Oil and water added and holding. Water took shit loads of litres and bled perfectly so pleased with that. Clutch was straightforward as well. I know from previous experience the brakes are a bitch to bleed (rear disk conversion) but I've moved the bias valve down to the lowest level so hoping that helps (doesn't create an airlock )

~I hoovered as I ground those bolts so hopefully ok.

~the clip holds throttle cable in the throttle body thingy.
:roll:
anyways onwards and upwards.
Last edited by MikeyBikey on Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Is we sideways yet...

MikeyBikey

Mikey Bikey's Scimega

Post by MikeyBikey » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:47 pm

aww poo. Just realised I'm still using the old front springs... How do I work out what length / strength springs I need. Now I've lost so much weight (and the engine :lol: :lol: )

Is we sideways yet...

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Mikey Bikey's Scimega

Post by scimjim » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:07 pm

Have you got height adjustable seats? If so, just start off with them wound right down and go from there.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

MikeyBikey

Mikey Bikey's Scimega

Post by MikeyBikey » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:14 pm

yes I do but its quite a height. Shall I also put spacers between the bottom wishbones and the plate the shock base sits on ?

Is we sideways yet...

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Mikey Bikey's Scimega

Post by scimjim » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:06 pm

Spacers will only drop it 1/2” - how much lower do you need to go?

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

efi_sprintgte
RSSOC Member

Mikey Bikey's Scimega

Post by efi_sprintgte » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:09 pm

My guess would be your new springs need to be about 50ibs softer and 1 1/2” shorter (eg 12” 350s to 10.5” 300s)

JC

MikeyBikey

Mikey Bikey's Scimega

Post by MikeyBikey » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:00 pm

Good progress although a tad fraught. Phoned the propshaft people who admitted they forgot it needed an adaptor plate and there’s no way it would be ready for 17th. I finished the call, held my breath for 2 mins then phoned them back. Explained politely I’d been pursuing this with them for two weeks already, and the whole of scimfest was waiting with baited breath to see this fantastic conversion and I was bitterly disappointed not to go. So they changed their stance and will pull the stops out to have it ready next week.

I then connected up the laptop to the ecu. Wow, this is new ground for me. In no time at all I had water temp, throttle position sensor and static timing all set. All the gauges on the laptop looked good except, the most important one, crank sensor.

As much as I could, could not get it to work. Phoned Lozz 20 times, had 15 coffees, polished the bumpers, all to no avail. Canems phoned back and suggested the crank sensor was wired incorrectly. Qui moi. C’est no.

5 mins later after swapping two wires, a beautiful green diode glowing on the ecu.
Result.

Tried starting but there’s some other wiring shite going on so gave up and went to the pub for the start of Falmouth week. A glorious self indulgence of boats, parties, sailing, parties and other stuff for 9 days.

Is we sideways yet...

MikeyBikey

Mikey Bikey's Scimega

Post by MikeyBikey » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:22 pm

Those three words every bloke wants to hear.

Got her running....

Is we sideways yet...

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Mikey Bikey's Scimega

Post by philhoward » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:25 pm

Well done!!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Corky
RSSOC Member

Mikey Bikey's Scimega

Post by Corky » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:26 pm

Well done :hurrah: :hurrah: :hurrah:

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car, Honda S2000, VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

CNHSS1

Mikey Bikey's Scimega

Post by CNHSS1 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:03 pm

8) 8) 8) 8)

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

MikeyBikey

Mikey Bikey's Scimega

Post by MikeyBikey » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:10 pm

Busy old day , some of down to the fact the car simply has been stood up for a year. EG lpg solenoid had seized so no fuel getting through. Compounded with some slightly wrong wiring around the ecu. I must have been on Tennants super strong lager at the time. :pint :help:

Still she's running although its made me realise just how much work remains before next week, and I've so much non car stuff to do :shock: :shock: its going to be a slog.

The other thing is the lpg system is completely different. Its very pressurised (gas not liquid) so its blowing the connectors. The previous system worked on a vaccuum / pull process. This works on a push / injection basis. So I've got to learn everything new re tuning.

Also in an effort to make her a clean install everything is bespoke. Ecu, wiring looms, lpg controllers etc etc and so its a real mind game checking everything is as its should be. Nothing is plug and go....

Ive even changed the mechanical water temp / oil pressure for TIM 'lectric and can i find anywhere that tells me how to wire them. No. Should have simply bought a bleddy chinese set amd have done with it.

Still chuffed to bits.

Is we sideways yet...

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Mikey Bikey's Scimega

Post by AJL Electronics » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:28 pm

Gauges are generally very simple. Feed one side with power, the other goes to the sender. Not sure about TIM but VDO don't even use a regulator. Smith's gauges do though so you will need to check.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

MikeyBikey

Mikey Bikey's Scimega

Post by MikeyBikey » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:38 pm

Cheers all .

The MustDo list is a bit :?
Washer bottle find one and wire in.
Secure exhausts

Front lights refit
Brakes, full bleed
Front & rear Suspension, strip and rebuild, try to get a sensible height
Rear Wiring loom - connect and make work
Wiper arms and wiring
Refit doors
Refit Dash & Gauges
Somehow fix the cavern that is the gearbox tunnel.
lpg system - longer low pressure tubes, replace high pressure ones
Fit the wideband sensor and somehow tune the engine.
fit stereo so i can play old 80's rock tunes

All the above in reverse order

Should do.
Insurance :lol:
Replace front brake pads with 1144 I've ordered
Test Drive before trying to drive a 10hr return to the midlands and back.

Oh, fit the prop once it arrives and then hope the clutch works
Last edited by MikeyBikey on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Is we sideways yet...

Return to “Project Progress”