6a camshaft timing

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward

TrevorG
RSSOC Member

6a camshaft timing

Post by TrevorG » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:13 am

Okay, I know it was my fault, and I can probably work it out by trial and error, but....
When refittting timing gear, I've noticed two marks on the crank gear that I didn't take note of before, and am not sure which to set to the cam mark? Any ideas?

IanC
RSSOC Member

6a camshaft timing

Post by IanC » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:29 am

Hi, There's a fair bit on the forum about this point e.g. "The crank gear often has two dots about 60 deg apart - one is the one to align with the cam gear, and one would align with the balance shaft on the V4 engine, which would have gone in the round hole on the left. Correct alignment with the cam gear is when the two woodruff keys (on crank and cam) point towards each other, only one of the marks will allow that." (I don't know how to do links, hence the cut and paste).
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I am will be along soon to provide trustworthy/definitive guidance!
Ian

Current : SE5a 4spd auto
Past: SE5, SE5a x 3, GTC x 3, SE6, SE6a

TrevorG
RSSOC Member

6a camshaft timing

Post by TrevorG » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:34 am

Thanks Ian
That's what I'd guessed 're position, didn't know the reason for two marks though. Was just putting it together and looking up the cam degrees when you responded, so you've saved me ...cheers!😃

TrevorG
RSSOC Member

6a camshaft timing

Post by TrevorG » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:04 pm

Hi Ian at al, thought I'd better explain my stupidity and why I didn't search the forum.

Firstly, I must have missed the second Mark until I cleaned the gear wheel...doh!

Secondly, as I live two miles from the nearest b t junction box which is itself spurred off another where loads of new houses have been built, my internet is at best sh+te! At worst, it drops out. So I have to be plugged in for it to work, no wireless here! And as I was in the garage, I apologise for not connecting up etc etc..

ANYway , engine bottom end and timing case all sorted now...much obliged!

Return to “General Technical Discussion”