BP petrol pump nozzle

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

Loxford
RSSOC Member

BP petrol pump nozzle

Post by Loxford » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:58 am

Has anyone had a problem with BP petrol pump nozzles that won't go far enough into the fuel filler on a GTC/GTE?
They have the rim that locks into the modern sealed unleaded filler's on newer cars to prevent the escape of fumes.
The BP version, as opposed to all other petrol stations won't allow the nozzle to go far enough into the filler on the car and the splash back simply cuts out the pump as if the tank is full.
G

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

BP petrol pump nozzle

Post by Old and Slow » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:00 pm

With Shell I have to fill up very slowly. If I pull the nozzle lever in fully, the fuel inflow is too fast for the tank breather and the nozzle cuts out.
This might be the same problem , rather than the nozzle length; i.e.do BP pumps pump faster than average?

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

BP petrol pump nozzle

Post by Coupe Racing » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:32 am

Try rotating the nozzle a little it works on moderns

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

TrevorG

BP petrol pump nozzle

Post by TrevorG » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:40 am

Rate of flow on pumps is set by the mechanic who fitted them.....it can be easily overridden by the garage manager. If it's a busy garage, they tend to tweak them up to a stupid rate to get more vehicles through (profit driven). My mate who owns a garage hates people messing with the flow rate as he then has to go and clear up diesel spillage as he's a biker as well!

Return to “General Technical Discussion”