Replacement door speakers

Topics related solely to the Middlebridge Scimitars

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward

drcdb15

Post by drcdb15 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:24 pm

Any recommendations? The paper around the edge of the cones has all but disappeared on mine!
073.JPG
073.JPG (144.89 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
Also the grille - the little spigots that are secured by star washers are badly corroded - are replacements available ? And are the MB speakers the same as on the 6A or B etc?

Ideally I'd like to keep the appearance and the location as original - is that going to be possible?

Thanks

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

Nigel Clark
RSSOC Member

Post by Nigel Clark » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:18 pm

Sorry, I can't advise but will be interested in the answer as I need to replace the door speakers on my SE6A.

Nigel

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:41 pm

I use Alpine 5" for my upgrades.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:50 pm

Mine were fitted to the door itself rather than door casing as yours appear to me, better speaker location, I had 5" Alpines in as well, suited the car, also put some 6.5" Infinity Kappa's in the rear up where the normal 4x6 fitted though weren't on mine, drilled a hole pattern in cover casing and sounded pretty decent all in.

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door, Alfa Romeo GTV twinny
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If things are going well with the rebuild you've missed a part out

drcdb15

Post by drcdb15 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:12 pm

ScimmyMike wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:50 pm
Mine were fitted to the door itself rather than door casing as yours appear to me, better speaker location, I had 5" Alpines in as well, suited the car, also put some 6.5" Infinity Kappa's in the rear up where the normal 4x6 fitted though weren't on mine, drilled a hole pattern in cover casing and sounded pretty decent all in.
Are we talking SE6x here, or MB ? Or are they the same? I see what you're saying, mount a speaker in the door proper, then on the door card just have a cosmetic grille that sits over the speaker cone without being physically attached to it. Certainly that would make fitting the door card easier. Also, would you want some sort of acoustic foam around the edges of the speaker to 'seal' the gap with the inner face of the door card? The cosmetic grille could of course just be the original rectangular grille. Yes, neat solution. I will have to explore.

Just following up on your mention of the Kappa and Alpine, I came across the Halfrauds chart of "what size speaker is in your car?". I hadn't appreciated how much standardisation there is in speaker sizes between manufacturers these days. At least that must cut out a lot of shopping around for different sizes.

Chris

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:27 am

Chris, mine was a 6b, mostly that same as MB as far as doors etc but obviously not speaker arrangements by the photo, can't see why what I had couldn't be retro fitted to the MB, the rectangular grilles were retained in mine and didn't seem to affect the sound, could just get a 5" in the doors, and they needed to be quite shallow as I recall to avoid the steel that's inside the forward section of the door innards

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door, Alfa Romeo GTV twinny
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If things are going well with the rebuild you've missed a part out

MikeyBikey

Post by MikeyBikey » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:28 am

I recently broke an 02 focus. It had a really decent , but OE, stereo system and the speakers were identical to yours. I kept them for use in another car

Is we sideways yet...

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:45 am

I am not convinced that the original speakers would have been mounted to the door cards like that. If they were, it is the first car I have ever seen like it. Those spire nuts are certainly not the work of a company like Middlebridge.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

drcdb15

Post by drcdb15 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:11 pm

AJL Electronics wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:45 am
I am not convinced that the original speakers would have been mounted to the door cards like that. If they were, it is the first car I have ever seen like it. Those spire nuts are certainly not the work of a company like Middlebridge.
Well I've dug out a pair of door cards I bought new from GW some years ago for the SE6A, they seem identical, and they have the cut-out and four corner holes exactly like my MB door cards, so it looks to me as though mounting on the door card itself was standard - unless of course that's all just for the grille. As for using spire nuts, well I can't say. I don't see what's wrong with them, my Jag has got them all over the place. There didn't seem to be anything obvious in the door proper where a speaker 'used to be' fitted. Anyone know for sure what mounting location was used by MB?

Chris

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:19 pm

I’ve never seen a speaker mounted to a door card in any OE application - anyone with any interest in car audio will shudder at the thought as it’s just going to vibrate the (relatively) flimsy moulding instead of actually vibrating the air in a controlled manner to make the sound - in addition to losing the frequencies that are channeled from the rear of the cone.

I’d wager that’s a P.O. “modification” - given the pedigree of the head unit fitted by Middlebridge they must have had some idea what they were doing with the audio.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Djangoz
RSSOC Member

Post by Djangoz » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:33 pm

I've recently replaced the door and rear speakers on MB60 for the same reason i.e. disintegration of the paper cones. I can confirm that they were mounted directly to the door card (or rear trim cover panel in the case of the rears) via self tapping screws and spire nuts.

The speaker covers were secured to the door cards by threaded posts and sprung Starlock washers which I had to clip off with side cutters. Since the cover posts are actually threaded, I used M4 metric nyloc nuts and washers to secure the speaker covers back in position.

I used self tappers and new spire nuts to secure the new speakers to the door cards first. I used JBL Harmann Stage 6402 6" by 4" 105W two way coaxial elliptical speakers at around £33 per pair, simply because they were a straight swap without any fettling. The sound quality seems adequate although not of course hifi, but infinitely better than before! Now all I have to do is improve the reception on FM which is none too impressive!

Andrew
MB60

drcdb15

Post by drcdb15 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:31 pm

Djangoz wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:33 pm
I've recently replaced the door and rear speakers on MB60 for the same reason i.e. disintegration of the paper cones. I can confirm that they were mounted directly to the door card (or rear trim cover panel in the case of the rears) via self tapping screws and spire nuts.

The speaker covers were secured to the door cards by threaded posts and sprung Starlock washers which I had to clip off with side cutters. Since the cover posts are actually threaded, I used M4 metric nyloc nuts and washers to secure the speaker covers back in position.

I used self tappers and new spire nuts to secure the new speakers to the door cards first. I used JBL Harmann Stage 6402 6" by 4" 105W two way coaxial elliptical speakers at around £33 per pair, simply because they were a straight swap without any fettling. The sound quality seems adequate although not of course hifi, but infinitely better than before! Now all I have to do is improve the reception on FM which is none too impressive!
Thanks for that Andrew, good to see you haven't wasted any time in getting well stuck into your new wheels' innards :lol:

As I don't believe in re-inventing the wheel I think this is the way I will go. I went for a hearing test last week, and I'm due to be fitted for hearing aids later this month, so I'm not going to worry too much about audiophile quality :lol:

Nor am I going to get drawn into a debate about the "best" place to put speakers - being of the generation who grew up with hi-fi separates and Tottenham Court Road and all that - but I well recall advice given then that holds as true today - you won't get a 64 piece orchestra into a car. If you want concert hall quality, go sit in a concert hall. With my hearing aids on order "adequate" will do me nicely :wink:

Chris

Diyhell
RSSOC Member

Post by Diyhell » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:16 pm

I replaced my 6A speakers in the front doors - info here: http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/view ... ds#p410676

SE6a needing lots of work...

drcdb15

Post by drcdb15 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:59 pm

Diyhell wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:16 pm
I replaced my 6A speakers in the front doors - info here: http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/view ... ds#p410676
Yes, I've read that thread. Thanks. On reflection, thinking about the sound quality etc, it occurs to me ... I thought the whole point of the Scim was to listen to the V6 rumble .. ?
:w

Chris

Djangoz
RSSOC Member

Post by Djangoz » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:17 pm

Before opting for the like for like 6" x 4" replacement I did try several 5" round speakers in the door aperture instead of mounting to the door card. I found that all the modern speakers seem to have much larger diameter magnets than older ones. All the ones I tried had problems fouling the metal reinforcement inside the door (either for reasons of width or depth) and I didn't really want to have to modify the door so took the easy way out!

Andrew
MB60

Return to “Middlebridge”