Se6 Carpet question

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Oxymoron
RSSOC Member

Se6 Carpet question

Post by Oxymoron » Mon May 15, 2017 10:40 pm

Hi,

I'm thinking of changing the carpets in my Se6, but will probably just buy the carpet by the metre from Coverdale and make my own templates.

There's a local guy who can overlock the edges of any of the pieces that need it.

Anyone know how many metres of carpet are needed?....I was thinking that 3 or 4metres would be enough of the 150cm wide roll?

Cheers,

Jez.

1979 SE6a Automatic power steering!

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Re: Se6 Carpet question

Post by peter freeman » Tue May 16, 2017 11:02 am

Coverdale will surely be able to tell you how much they use and what width you need.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Tue May 16, 2017 11:24 am

And then add some to be sure..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Oxymoron
RSSOC Member

Post by Oxymoron » Tue May 16, 2017 1:21 pm

Hi,

I Emailed Coverdale and they use 6.1 linear metres of the 1.50m wide roll to fit a Scimitar SE6, to allow for pile direction.

So I may order 7 Mts to allow for errors in my cutting when I order mine!

Cheers,

Jez

DarrylWebb

Post by DarrylWebb » Tue May 16, 2017 7:35 pm

Pretty sure I went for 6m for my SE5a, and there weren't much left over.

Scimega: Project X30XE Pro-Touring Scimitar

scimitargtc
RSSOC Member

Post by scimitargtc » Sat May 20, 2017 4:31 pm

sold my mg so now have funds to buy a new capet set for my 79 se6a - can't decide who to buy from but what i cam concerned about is the difficulty i read all about in making all the bits fit with stories of surplus pieces, missing pieces and identifying where it all fits together - have got samples so decided on colour and grade....

1979 se6a auto pas 3.0v6
1998 Range Rover 4.6 v8 auto
2006 fiat Punto 1.2
2016 Nissan QashQai 1.6 tekna CVT dci

Oxymoron
RSSOC Member

Post by Oxymoron » Sat May 20, 2017 5:56 pm

scimitargtc wrote:sold my mg so now have funds to buy a new capet set for my 79 se6a - can't decide who to buy from but what i cam concerned about is the difficulty i read all about in making all the bits fit with stories of surplus pieces, missing pieces and identifying where it all fits together - have got samples so decided on colour and grade....
Just order the carpet on the roll and cut it to size yourself. You can use the old carpet as a template.

My samples arrived today, but I'm going with a synthetic pile as it won't rot when water leaks into the car!

I was thinking of fully sticking the sides of the sills and transmission tunnel without any need to edge the carpet and then binding the edges of the foot well and boot pieces, to finish them off, before adhering where necessary.

I wont need a drivers side heel mat as I will use loose protective mats on top of the carpet anyway.

I'm going to Silverstone tomorrow, so I will have a look and see if there are any traders selling carpet on the roll!

Cheers,

Jez

gtfreight

Se6 Carpet question

Post by gtfreight » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:43 am

By the time you get your trimmer to shape and edge the pieces it will probably be cheaper to get Coverdale to make the set up for you.
There are extra pieces included in their sets that will not be needed if the interior hasn't been modified. I think there are 26 pieces for the 6a, of which you'll use 18. If you strip your old set out it is quite self explanatory where the new pieces fit.
As for sticking the pics down I used a contact adhesive for everything except sometimes the main floorpans. For these I would usually use the press studs supplied by Coverdale but this means drilling holes in the floor to accommodate the self tappers on the studs.
It's 10 years since I dealt with Coverdale so they may have rectified the only slight problem with the set which is the floorpans were made symmetrically and the floor section aern't quite symmetric at the front of the transmission tunnel.
I see that it was in May when you made your last post so my information may be too late for you but could help others who are thinking of tackling the job themselves.

Regards,
Gary.
Last edited by gtfreight on Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geraint SabreGTCse5
RSSOC Member

Se6 Carpet question

Post by Geraint SabreGTCse5 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:14 am

I have recently bought a set from coverdale for a GTC.... i can only comment on my own experience. I did some research and spoke to them prior to the order being made and was reassured that their kit fitted and i would need nothing else except time and glue!!! So i placed the order and it arrived a couple of weeks later. My excitement quickly turned to dismay, not one piece in their "complete" kit was the same shape as the original i had removed. After hours of work I ended up altering every piece they provided. Some pieces were missing and some completely wrong, they did provide un shaped carpet for me to cut for some of the missing pieces but i had to buy extra carpet to rectify a number of issues. I was told i was the only one to have had issues with the kit.... which i know isn't quite right.

I will cut my own for the next GTC...

Geraint

Sabre ti, se5, GTC, 6b.......BMW Z3 3.0i

Better to be late in this life than early in the next!

gtfreight

Se6 Carpet question

Post by gtfreight » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:48 pm

Geraint SabreGTCse5 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:14 am
I have recently bought a set from coverdale for a GTC.... i can only comment on my own experience. I did some research and spoke to them prior to the order being made and was reassured that their kit fitted and i would need nothing else except time and glue!!! So i placed the order and it arrived a couple of weeks later. My excitement quickly turned to dismay, not one piece in their "complete" kit was the same shape as the original i had removed. After hours of work I ended up altering every piece they provided. Some pieces were missing and some completely wrong, they did provide un shaped carpet for me to cut for some of the missing pieces but i had to buy extra carpet to rectify a number of issues. I was told i was the only one to have had issues with the kit.... which i know isn't quite right.

I will cut my own for the next GTC...
As far as the GTC (SE8) goes, the interier carpet is the same as the SE6/a/b except for the boot area.
Last edited by gtfreight on Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Se6 Carpet question

Post by AJL Electronics » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:44 pm

No it isn't. That is the excuse that Coverdale give too.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Benc
RSSOC Member

Se6 Carpet question

Post by Benc » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:20 pm

Hi I recently fitted a Coverdale set, found it easy to fit, spent about 1/2 hour checking which piece fitted where etc. Happy with the set. You have to do some trimming of quite a few pieces ie around fuse box and footwell vents.

I wasn't happy with the way I cut one piece, when I rang Coverdale they recut the piece and sent me a piece of carpet same size as well both free😀

gtfreight

Se6 Carpet question

Post by gtfreight » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:37 am

AJL Electronics wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:44 pm
No it isn't. That is the excuse that Coverdale give too.
As far as the cabin goes I'm thinking the pieces are the same but I stand to be corrected and would appreciate it if you could tell me where the differences are.
I only had 1 set for a GTC that didn't fit and that was for someone in Worthing. I took a replacement set which was fine. The first set Coverdale made was totally wrong so mistakes do occasionally happen.
I have never fitted a set into an SE5 or 5a but I have been told the 5a set will not fit into a 5 and I don't think Coverdale make a set for the SE5.

Geraint SabreGTCse5
RSSOC Member

Se6 Carpet question

Post by Geraint SabreGTCse5 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:52 am

gtfreight wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:48 pm

As far as the GTC (SE8) goes, the interier carpet is the same as the SE6/a/b except for the boot area.
no it isn't, but coverdale think it is.

Geraint

Sabre ti, se5, GTC, 6b.......BMW Z3 3.0i

Better to be late in this life than early in the next!

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Se6 Carpet question

Post by gtcse8 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:54 am

Hello Mr Taylor

How are you??.

Mark Wilson

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

Return to “General Technical Discussion”