spa 6 hrs

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

samd

spa 6 hrs

Post by samd » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:43 pm

Does anyone who knows about these things, know if a 5a can be used in the Masters event at the Spa 6hrs Endurance event this weekend?
The Masters website states,

'3.2.2.1. SOTS (Stars of the 70s) is open to any make of genuine production GT car that was produced before 31st December 1974 to include all
pre-war and post war models prior to the cut-off date, specifically invited by Top Hat. All cars must maintain a fully
enclosed roof section.'

Would this not include a Scimitar? (without a webasto)

Many thanks.

SAMD are the initials of an old flame of mine from schooldays who, I was shocked to discover is now dead. Cremated, no kids etc. nothing, not even a marker of some sort.
I just decided to use her initials so there would be something to remember her.

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:49 pm

Sounds bizarre to me, I suppose the regs are written by civil servants.
1/ how can a class called stars of the seventies include pre-war etc vehicles (buses Perhaps?) and NOT cars made in 1975,6,7,8,9?
2/ who or what is Top Hat?
Don't worry about it.
Chris

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014>
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

samd

Post by samd » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:11 pm

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well.

The SPA 6Hr endurance event is on this weekend, it has a mixture of races with the main 6hr event starting at 6.00pm on Sat. This event is now regarded as the premier Historic Motor Racing event in Europe.
I would love an entry in it someday and I noticed that 'The Masters' run some races at it, and when I looked into their regulations I saw what I have shown above. And it made me wonder if a Scimitar could be entered.

2.1.2. In order to participate in races, a car may only be powered by a period specification engine of a type originally fitted
to the car during its participation in period International competition.

This may mean the cars are not allowed as it looks like they had to be involved in International competition. But surely someone knows of a car used outside England by 1975. I wonder if Scotland or Wales or Ireland count? hmmm.

SAMD are the initials of an old flame of mine from schooldays who, I was shocked to discover is now dead. Cremated, no kids etc. nothing, not even a marker of some sort.
I just decided to use her initials so there would be something to remember her.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:27 pm

Theres a beauty for sale (very Orange)...that fits the bill :wink:

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

BigBobPilot
RSSOC Member

Post by BigBobPilot » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:38 pm

My understanding was the main Spa 6 hours was for FIA approved cars only.

The only real way to be sure about a Scimitar for the Stars of the 70s is to contact the organisers (Top Hat or Masters) and ask them.

Regarding FIA papers, I believe you can only get them for Sabres and not Scimitars.

The CSCC (Classic Sports Car Club http://www.classicsportscarclub.co.uk/) have been invited to this event in the past through Top Hat, but they ran there own meeting in July this year. A Scimitar is eligible to race in the CSCC Swinging 60's series (I raced one last year, and Paul Turnbull - Orange 5 on this forum - raced this year and last year in his SE5).

I hope this is of some limited help.

Ben

SS1 CA18DET race car in build
Latest owner of V6 coupe SRE 353G
SSSC Champion 2009, driving "Big Bob"
CSCC "Swinging 60s" race series winner in 2011, 2014 & 2015 (Group 2) sharing a Marcos with Iain Daniels

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:14 pm

If the Scimitar's eligible (and Top Hat would be able to say about that) then I'd agree with Phil that Paul's (Tango) Orange 5 would be an ideal opportunity to buy a proven well sorted car.

Oh and Chris, for info, see the Masters/Top Hat website - you've obviously been living in seclusion for too long! :lol:

cheers,

....Roger

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:42 pm

Thanks Roger, it's not easy living in the South of France, the isolation, the burning sun, the hectolitres of good wine...
Sorry
Chris

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014>
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:48 pm

Yes, I guess it must be tough, but I suppose someone has to do it........

cheers,

.....Roger

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:03 pm

Had a look at the regs and there's no reason why a Scimitar couldn't run in Stars of the Seventies, however it is invitational and does make reference to Homologation and Production. Pre homologation papers for a 71 GTE are on an FIA list, but I don't know where you'd get hold of these, and it also states they're not completely legible?? So if it were to have any chance it would have to be an extremely well prepared car in period colors and getting hold of the FIA papers would be essential??

As for using mine, it's way too modified for that and a GTE to the specs required wouldn't be that competitive as it's mostly production spec with a highly modified engine, as per HSCC's 70's Roadsports series.

Nice thought though, but if it's just driving at Spa that interests you, the HSCC go to that meeting and the CSCC which is the club I race the GTE with also has a meeting there with a one hour endurance race...

Paul.

2005 RSSOC Sprint and Hillclimb champion
LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a
Previous: Sabre Six GT, SE4, SE4a, SE4b, SE5, SE5a x 5, SE6a x 2, SE6b x 2, GTC, Middlebridge x 2, SS1 ti, Sabre 1.4k

Return to “General Circuit Racing Chat”