Mallory Park 5 July 2009

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

Raz987

Mallory Park 5 July 2009

Post by Raz987 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:22 pm

Hi guys, I'm racing at Mallory park on Sunday and have a few spare tickets, so if anyone wants to come along and watch then send me a message or post here.
I will be competing in the SS1 in both the RAF Race Challenge and the Sports V Saloons race.
Cheers, Raz :D

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer
Pug 206 GTi Circuit Racer

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:39 pm

Good luck Raz, sorry we cant make it, but give 'em hell!

Oh and check it starts today :roll: :lol:

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:36 pm

CNHSS1 wrote:Good luck Raz, sorry we cant make it, but give 'em hell!

Oh and check it starts today :roll: :lol:
It starts and drives, had a blast around behind the hangar today 8)

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:57 pm

2 races, one DNF and one DNS :evil:
That makes 4 races so far this season, 1 DNF and 3 DNSs :evil:
Basically the brakes boiled and I lost the brake pedal going into Gerrards at 110mph ish, possibly the scariest moment of my life so far... :shock: That was in practice. We thought it was probably due to the new air dam stopping all the air getting to the brakes so we made some minor adjustments to it with an angle grinder and hoped for an improvement.
The car was also wallowing a lot in practice so I cranked the damping up a bit at the front and a lot at the rear.
Went out for the RAF Race, got a fairly good start and was keeping with the pack of kit cars until about 6 or 7 laps in. I started to lose them and then lost the brake pedal again but this time going into the hairpin! Luckily I'd been brake checking with my left foot so I was off the gas early and just about survived without hitting anything.
I took this as a sign to pack up and go home... :cry:

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:32 pm

Oh bugger...

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Nick_F

Post by Nick_F » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:11 am

You need to do some testing - is it still road legal?

The older I get the faster I was.

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:04 pm

Nick_F wrote:You need to do some testing - is it still road legal?
Nope.

I feel a bit happier today, not a lot but a bit :roll: So I'll make an attempt to write something of interest.

I arrived with a car that had no known problems (for a change!) but was very nervous as I had done no full bore driving in it since the Birkett.

RAF Practice:
Took it steady for 3 laps until I was reasonably happy nothing was going to fall off, then started to turn up the wick. The front splitter was grounding out every time I hit the brakes and was apparently making some nice sparks.... The car felt very soft and wallowy and had no composure going around Gerrards. I was into the groove at about lap 8 or 9 and then braking into Gerrards the pedal went straight to the floor and I looked straight at the Armco in front and sh*t myself I made a split second decision to turn in and hope for the best and just about kept it on the tarmac. Possibly the second scariest moment of my life. MattP's response? "Why are you braking there anyway?" We (Matt and I) got the front wheels off and bled through some fresh fluid as quick as possible, as we only had 10 minutes before SvS Practice...

SvS Practice:
I was very late for this session so only managed 2 laps. Not much to say really, was still shook up from the previous session so was lapping in the 59s.

As soon as practice was done we took the front end off. Matt hacked some vents into the front air dam to allow some air into the wheel arches to aid brake cooling while I cranked the damping up a bit at the front and a lot at the rear! Darren rewired my transponder for me and it was all going to be fine...

RAF Race:
I made a good start, but not as good as Frodo who was next to me on the grid. Martyn went down the outside of me in the Elan and round the outside at Gerrards, so I was already down a place. I was hanging on to the pack for half a dozen laps and then slowly started to drop back. I was actually quite happy with how the car was driving with the stiffer damping. Matt had advised me to brake check on the straights with my left foot, so as I came towards the hairpin I checked and... no brakes! I got off the gas early and stamped the brake pedal, going down through the gears as fast I could and just managed to haul it up before the track ran out. I pulled into the pitlane and the car spat its coolant again.
So that was my day. No point going out for the SvS race with no brakes, I'd gotten away with it twice so why push my luck?

I've now equalled the amount of races I've finished with the amount I haven't. I'm really quite disheartened and I'm not sure what direction to go in. I'm considering not racing for the rest of the year. Not really what I want to do but I'm just wasting money at the moment.
Raz

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:17 pm

OK Raz..time for some thinking time....

Cooling - either not enough to the rad, or the rad is't big enough (assuming the water pump is up to it). Bigger/thicker rad, or better ducting would be the way to look (if you've already looked at this, I apologise now..)

Brakes - you still using the stock SS1 calipers? If so, the main problem is the size of the pads - too small. I guess even Metro GTi ones would be an improvement as if the pads get too hot, then the heat is going back into the caliper, rather than staying in the disc where its meant to be.

Don't give up, chap - just needs a track day (armed with a few quick-swap goodies) to try and sort the problems, i'm sure. Lets all get our thinking heads on. Would be a shocking waste given how far you've come so far... We're all behind you, you know!

The comments above aren't meant to be "sucking eggs" advice - just pointers for other ideas to come forward....
Last edited by philhoward on Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:44 pm

Sorry to hear that Raz. :( I'd agree that some testing miles sound like a good idea. If the car's not road legal then a track day would be the best bet - in fact there's one not far off at Curborough! :wink: It may not be a viable suggestion if you've got too many other things on, or if it's already fully subscribed, but there'd certainly be plenty of other "thinking heads" to contribute suggestions.

good luck,

....Roger

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:30 am

Raz
my two penneth...
ive been there mate, and have sworn that i will sell the bloody car/torch it/leave in the garage and ignore it, 100s of times, so know where you are coming from. During the final stages of the incarnation into the Batmobile, id really had enough :roll: lucklily it only takes one good result and thats forgotten :D

People seem to forget that you are pioneering mate, the first circuit racing SS1 in existence. All those that tell you youve taken on too much, tell 'em bo****ks!
yes your prep aint pretty, and your wirings on a par with mine (hence someone else did the Batmobile :wink: ) and you are the prefect example of the forces 'can do mentality', but youre doing it, and no one else is, gotta respect you for that.

Take stock, and see where you are at then.

ideally clearing the other 'projects' would help you immensely *200SX etc etc :lol: * and then concentrate on creating a plan of attack.

the plan must have a couple of mantras though, reliability, simplicity, balance and then look for the speed. if the cars built right and has the right parts, the speed will come through a bit of development and track time.

My car has evolved in a similar way to yours and there are now lots of areas i would do differently (aint hindsight wonderful...) but it isnt just us that get it wrong, the current McLarens a bag of nails, but some time and attention will improve it no end.

Tango's '5 is a good example, built on paper with all the 'right' bits and yet its taken Paul 12-18 months of hard graft to perfect the car to a regular top 4 finisher.

anyway, good luck, chin up and if you decide to knock this season on the head for an early rebuild, everyone will still be rooting for you 8)

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:04 pm

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:10 pm

Looking good (like the way you've kept the satin black look) - but i can see why you had cooling issues! Need to get those ducts back in and working for the brakes.

Did the oil temp go a bit high as well, or was it just the death nail for that engine?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:59 pm

looks the dogs danglies mate 8)

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:14 pm

Yeah Raz, looks good, if you didn't have bad luck you'd have non mate :roll:

You're times looked pretty healthy considering...

My choice would be forget about this year and strip out everything you've not sorted yet and start from there, I'd go with the DET at the same time and aim to finish the bulk of the car in January/February for a relaxed build up to the season where you can get everything right and know it's gonna work, out of the box.... But I can understand you wanting to do Cadwell and the Birkett.

Did you get the ECU?? sorry it took so long :roll:

2005 RSSOC Sprint and Hillclimb champion
LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a
Previous: Sabre Six GT, SE4, SE4a, SE4b, SE5, SE5a x 5, SE6a x 2, SE6b x 2, GTC, Middlebridge x 2, SS1 ti, Sabre 1.4k

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:37 pm

orange5 wrote:Yeah Raz, looks good, if you didn't have bad luck you'd have non mate :roll:

You're times looked pretty healthy considering...

My choice would be forget about this year and strip out everything you've not sorted yet and start from there, I'd go with the DET at the same time and aim to finish the bulk of the car in January/February for a relaxed build up to the season where you can get everything right and know it's gonna work, out of the box.... But I can understand you wanting to do Cadwell and the Birkett.

Did you get the ECU?? sorry it took so long :roll:
56.7 best lap, pretty happy with that, but leaves me a second off the Locoblades that I was battling with last year though :? You were doing 54s weren't you?

Got the ECU mate, cheers. Kept forgetting to text you :roll:
Cheers, Raz :D

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer

Return to “Events”