Mallory Park 10 August 2008

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

Raz987

Mallory Park 10 August 2008

Post by Raz987 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:15 pm

Got up at 0530 (what does the 0 stand for? Oh my god it's early! :D ), drove 2 and a half hours to Mallory.
Whipped the dizzy out and re-timed the engine, started first time!
Made a few adjustments to ride height and tyre pressures, plus torqued all the wheel nuts up (lesson learnt on that one :wink: ).
Went out for first practice and popped a boost hose on the exit of Gerrards on the first lap. Managed to coast back to the pits, swapped some of the jubilee clips around and tightened the rest, then went back out. POP! Exit of Gerrards again, only on half throttle :? Couldn't make it back to the pits, so ended up parked on the side of the circuit watching everyone else practice :evil:
After being towed back to the pits, we set about peening the end of the pipes over, as some of them were plain tube. This took a while! Then I was allowed out on track to do 3 laps between the first two races, took it steady but on the last lap I booted it and saw 20psi on the boost gauge! :shock: Turns out I'd fitted the boost controller the wrong way around... :oops:
So, I start from the back of the grid. No problem, I'll get a good start and work my way through the field...

Something went bang at the Esses and I lost all steering. It was fine at the hairpin and Devils Elbow so I continued cautiously. On turning into Gerrards, the steering went again and into the gravel trap I went...
I wasn't particularly gutted, as steering/suspension failure could quite easily have put me into the wall at 100mph if it had happened elsewhere. The car's fine, I'm fine :D

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer
Pug 206 GTi Circuit Racer

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:25 pm

Good news it fired up...

Not surprising you popped a hose at 20psi!! Found an alternative to peening/whatever that proper external groove is called (oliving?) is four equally spaced blobs of weld around the end - assuming its steel pipe.

Crying shame on the suspension/steering - but at least you're both still in one piece.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:35 pm

glad ya OK Raz! 8)
be interesting to see whats failed (not in a morbid way mate, but R&D etc).
you were running the coilovers for the first time yes? and you changed the lower balljoints too? on mine after 12 months sprinting with coilovers, i had a lower balljoint drop through the lower arm and jammed between the wishbone and upright (cant come off just gets mega sloppy). this is due to their being no wishbone spring to keep a 'load' on the wishbone spring seat to keep the balljoint pushed fully home. i have since welded a small strap over each lower balljoint across the U section of the wishbone to keep it in place. c
dunno if that helps you, just remembered it watching your vid :)

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:45 pm

Will have a good look tomorrow Craig.
How awesome was my start! Right up until the point where I nearly rear-end the Metro... :x
As I plow straight into the gravel trap, you can see 2 photographers dead ahead. Guess where I got this from??? :twisted: :

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:55 pm

good photo Raz, albeit not the sort im sure youd like.
start was ace, you did well not to stove the 'scrabbler' in the arse :lol:

worth while checking rear trailing arms for cracks too, i had a nasty spin at 3 Sisters when a trailing arm let go. not mega high speed (bout 50mph) but so violent i had sore neck for days, hence i use a race neck brace that Paul T advised after his Porsche accident.
trailing arms usually crack around the hub plate behind the drum backing plate so not easily visible. get the wheel off and then lever everything in sight with a big f**k off bar to ensure it only moves how it should.

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:05 am

One has to ask what the light "tring" noise is that appears occasioanlly in the video?

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:07 am

reliant-reviver wrote:One has to ask what the light "tring" noise is that appears occasioanlly in the video?
Not sure, will have to watch it when I get home. Possibly thge rollcage rubbing on the windscreen surround, it has a habit of doing that :roll:

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:29 pm

I'm pretty sure the ting noise is one of the straps for the ragtop bouncing off the rollcage :P
After a short investigation, the suspension problem has been located :evil:

With the change to inboard coilovers, no spring pressure on the lower wishbone has allowed the balljoint to slip out of the bottom of the wishbone.
Cheap and easy fix. Have spoken to Craig about ways to avoid it happening again, so it should be sorted (both sides) by the time I go to Cadwell.
Cheers, Raz :)

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:57 pm

Perhaps use something a little more substantial that a jubilee clip, though? Two good dabs of weld on the outside (bottom) will do the trick and be easy enough to remove should replacement be needed?

When Craig said a retaining strap, i had visions of a bit of 20x2mm bar and a couple of M8 bolts...

If the jubilee clip does the job, then i'm happy to be proved an idiot! (is this where craig suddenly shows his jubilee clips off???)

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:51 am

philhoward wrote:Perhaps use something a little more substantial that a jubilee clip, though? Two good dabs of weld on the outside (bottom) will do the trick and be easy enough to remove should replacement be needed?

When Craig said a retaining strap, i had visions of a bit of 20x2mm bar and a couple of M8 bolts...

If the jubilee clip does the job, then i'm happy to be proved an idiot! (is this where craig suddenly shows his jubilee clips off???)
I had a feeling this would be commented on...
The jubilee clip holds the brake cooling duct onto the underside of the lower wishbone, it has nothing to do with the balljoint :D
Yeah, Craig suggested 3 tacks on the balljoint itself and a retaining strap (2x20 or whatever) underneath. Belt and braces, as he put it!

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:36 pm

Of course it is the brake cooling duct..should have scrolled back a couple of pages to see it!

My mistake - but in my defence, i had my beer goggles on at that time of night (MoT nerves and all that...)

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

Return to “Events”