Mallory Park 26 May 2008

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

turbster
RSSOC Member

Mallory Park 26 May 2008

Post by turbster » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:52 pm

Well I finally managed to get my first race under my belt on bank holiday monday :D

The weather was er...windy to say the least, but the rain held off most of the day.

11am came around, car scrutineered, fueled and the new super heavy duty oil cooler fitted :wink:

Ready to go and qualify... after suffering some fuel starvation problems at Brands I'd adjusted the new carb and done a good half an hour on the road. The car had performed perfectly so this should really be a true indication of the pace of the car..

I pulled out of the pits and nailed it down to Gerrards the never ending very fast right hander after the pit straight and....fuel starvation half way round :roll: Ok, it's not the end of the world so lets see if we can drive round it.

As the 30mins counted down the car seemed great out of left handers and terrible out of rights, this being a clockwise circuit that wasn't ideal..

However feathering the throttle in 4th and using the middle pedal as little as possible seemed to be keeping a respectable pace, so I was relatively happy when I got back to the paddock and pretty bloody amazed when I was 8th out of the 29 runners :D

Iain Daniels and Neil Condliffe in the Sabre 6 were 20th with the other Sabre 6 of John Leslie in 13th.

Pole was a TR6 with a 54.224 and my best effort was a 56.619.

The car was checked over by my chief mechanic (Dad) and the after some disscusion about the fuel starvation the problem was identified, however it was not something which could be sorted before the race so I'd have to live with it...

The cars lined up in the collection area and I had a couple of E-types, the Tr6, an Elan and a Lotus 7 in front of me as the heart rate increased...a lot!

On to the grid and the lights went off and we were racing!!

I got a good start but a V8 Morgan went past on the inside, forcing me to go around the outside of Gerrards where the GTE seemed to be able to go quicker than the cars on the inside enabling me to hold 8th.

As the field spread a bit I was behind the 7th place Elan and catching where the car was good and losing out where it wasn't so good, so as soon as the pit stop window opened my team (Ben) gave me the single to pit.

Down the pit lane and to a halt next to Ben who was ready to open my door for the, get out, stand on ground, get back in mandatory pit stop for single drivers.

The engine has to be turned off and obviously the belts on and off...this caused me a few problems, as I became all flustered and made a right mess of it, refusing Bens offer of help (mistake) I carried on and eventually got them fastened :roll:

OK, lets hit the starter and go.......the engine slowly turned over with no sign of firing....on the third try it just spun and fired, next phrase best not repeated :lol:

Back on the track and I seemed to be able to get past the traffic pretty quickly, mostly on the brakes into the hairpin or around either side around Gerrards and it was interesting when the leaders were catching me to lap, the leading E-type followed me down the straight and was no faster and he spun leaving the Lotus 7 which I dutifully let past and followed very closely for a few laps, being as quick or quicker when the car was on song and only losing when waiting for the power to kick in, which again was promising for the future.

The rain began to fall and I seemed to be catching people faster now, this enabled me to take 7th from a Spitfire and run there until the penultimate lap when we exited the hairpin together only to come across a MK2 Jag on my side of the track. I had to lift and the Spitfire regained 7th, I tried to get him on the last lap but finished .6sec shy of him at the finish. My fastest lap was 1.7secs off fastest lap set by an E-Type.

Exiting devils elbow:

Iain and Neil finished 12th and John was 13secs behind in 13th.

Well I'd waited a good 30 years for that and it was well worth the wait, the smile lasted quite a while :D

Bring on Anglesey at the end of June and we'll show em what a Scimitar can do :evil:

Some pics here:

http://triumph-motorsport.fotopic.net/c1518358.html

Paul.

2005 RSSOC Sprint and Hillclimb champion
LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a
Previous: Sabre Six GT, SE4, SE4a, SE4b, SE5, SE5a x 5, SE6a x 2, SE6b x 2, GTC, Middlebridge x 2, SS1 ti, Sabre 1.4k

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:47 pm

Excellent result Paul, well done! The car looks great as well!

cheers,

....Roger

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:50 pm

Great news Paul :D
I was wondering whether you did Mallory while I was bored at work today, so had a look on the TSL Timing website and saw all the results. Sounds like you've got more to come, just need to practice your pit stops! :P
Coming to Rockingham this weekend?
ATB,
Raz :D

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer
Pug 206 GTi Circuit Racer

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:57 pm

Cheers, Roger, Raz,

Yes definetley more to come :D

I was in for Rockingham, but cancelled due to not having tested car after turning carb around, I'm going down to marshal but not decided which day yet, are you racing Saturday Raz??

LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a
Previous: Sabre Six GT, SE4, SE4a, SE4b, SE5, SE5a x 5, SE6a x 2, SE6b x 2, GTC, Middlebridge x 2, SS1 ti, Sabre 1.4k

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:31 am

Yep, I'm in with the Jags and Sports vs Saloons :twisted:
Getting a bit nervous...

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer
Pug 206 GTi Circuit Racer

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:55 am

Might come down Saturday then, my nerves built big time as I assembled to go out to the grid, then went as soon as I got out on to the track. It all felt really natural to me, sure you'll be the same...

All the best mate and watch out for those Jags, don't think you'd win any battles with em :wink:

Paul.

LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:59 am

orange5 wrote:All the best mate and watch out for those Jags, don't think you'd win any battles with em :wink:
depends if Raz has 'borrowed' any of his toys from work :wink: that would stop them bullying a little plastic car :lol:

Paul

Good work fella :D glad its all going well, roll on a podium soon 8)

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

ptscim

Post by ptscim » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:28 am

Great result Paul Well done :D , the car looks good 8)

Phill.
(Leadfoot Morgan!)
RSSOC Speed championship competitor.
GTE mod prod class.
Present 5a.
Previous 2x 5a's, 6a and a competition prepared Se5.

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:42 pm

Cheers Phil,

Love the car without the arches, wasn't sure about cutting them off, but the narrowed wheels fill the standard arches well...

handles better with the narrower tyres on the front too, which is a bonus :D

Paul.

LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a

shrewsbury_streetracer

Post by shrewsbury_streetracer » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:43 pm

Nice one Paul, I thought for some reason you would do well!

Must be a hell of an adrenaline rush eh ?

2007 & 2008 RSSOC Sprint Champion

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:53 pm

Cheers Chris,

Yeah defo a massive adrenaline rush, always something going on and usually three or more things at once with that many cars on the track :shock:

Like I said, I'd wanted to do it for as long as I can remember and it didn't disappoint, got a bit emotional when it sunk in tbh :wink:

Two races at Anglesey next and a certain Mr Gough will be coming out to play in both too :D

See you've had a perfect start in the championship this year, back to back titles???

Paul.

LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a

shrewsbury_streetracer

Post by shrewsbury_streetracer » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:57 pm

Don't know about that but will be giving it a go.

Doesn't seem quite right without you and Raz at the meetings and Craig and Brian still working on their cars.

Just bought another bike so may have a blast up to Anglesey if Ceri allows it :wink:

2007 & 2008 RSSOC Sprint Champion

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:11 pm

We're there on the 28th and 29th, Saturday's a 15mins sports a saloons race like Raz did it Rockingham and Sunday's the 40mins S/Sixties, be great to see you there mate.....

LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a

Return to “Events”