Brands Hatch 25 April 2008

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

Raz987

Brands Hatch 25 April 2008

Post by Raz987 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:53 pm

Hi guys,
Not a good day for the RSSOC yesterday. Only one of four cars (3 x Sabre, 1 x SE5) finished the race. I won't go in to details as that's up to the drivers concerned to tell their story. I'll just post some of my favourite pics taken with my new camera (Fuji S9600).
Raz

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer
Pug 206 GTi Circuit Racer

shrewsbury_streetracer

Post by shrewsbury_streetracer » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:24 pm

Good photo's Raz. Scims looking good. That guy in 53 (Jag?) looks as though its a handfull! :D

Danny looks like he is having fun!

Heard a few details via Craig...Paul did very well qualifying 12th.

I'm keen to come and watch....you guys at Rockingham next month?

2007 & 2008 RSSOC Sprint Champion

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:52 pm

is the last photo a caption competition? im guessing that may be Pauls Dad, 'Team-Manager' Turnbull?

'dont worry Son, ive lightened it a bit for the next race'
or
'pass me the Autoglym, its not dazzling enough under here'

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:01 am

CNHSS1 wrote:is the last photo a caption competition? im guessing that may be Pauls Dad, 'Team-Manager' Turnbull?
No, it's Paul himself. His dad couldn't make it. He was just re-attaching the exhaust after the marshalls returned it to him...
Pauls car is looking awesome, some of the RAF guys had seen it and were very impressed. I love the "classic exterior, touring car interior" mix. Pauls prep standard is so far above mine it's embarrasing :oops: I was gutted for him when the car let him down :(

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer
Pug 206 GTi Circuit Racer

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:21 pm

Yeah it was me, the knocking noise didn't warrant me slowing down.....wrong, I thought as the tail section of the exhaust bounced across the grass at Graham Hill bend :lol:

Cheers for the kind comments Raz, I'd be the first to admit I'm a bit OCD when it comes to the car :roll: Great to see you there mate and hope we're racing at the same event soon....

As for the er...race, well qualifying went well after waiting for 5 minutes for everyone to sort themselves out, I cautiously headed out onto the circuit, this approach lasted until the first corner, from then on it was business as usual and flat out :D after I'd done my 3 laps needed to race Mark Barton's Sabre 6 parted company with its oil filter, as you can imagine this put a fair amount of oil on the racing line and the red flag came out.

After a 20 minute wait we went out again, I decided not to go for a fast lap as this would mean going onto the oil and it was not worth the risk so the rest of the session was spent racing with a Ford Falcon...which was fun 8) Well until the incident mentioned above stopped play....

My 3rd lap was quick enough for 12th out of 37 which was a pleasant suprise, everything was looking good!

Raz noticed a small patch of oil under the cooler, it looked like one of the hoses was weaping, so they were tightened and as everyone was having dinner behind the car at the time I thought starting the car to test the joint was not a great idea....

Pulling up to the grid, someone mentioned I was leaking oil, I jumped out and sure enough there was a trail down the pit lane and a big puddle under the car, oh dear I thought (not my actual words :wink: ) a quick push back into a Sunbeam Alpine :oops: was followed by a push back into the garage and frantic work to remove the split oil cooler from the circuit...Unable to find a strap wrench for the filter I decided to knock it around with a chisel, in my haste the hammer met the radiator core and added a water leak to the equasion :evil:

At this point an admission of defeat to the marshals was followed by a 15 minute walk around the paddock.

Then it was time to watch the action, and Danny who was running just outside the top ten had just handed the Sabre over to his second driver Neil, who on encountering a slow moving BMW just over the brow of paddock bend had to take avoiding action which the tyres disagreed with throwing him into the gravel and ending another Reliant charge...

Mark Barton had more mechanical problems with the Sabre after 26 laps, but John Leslie managed to get a cracking result in his Sabre finishing 15th and 2nd in class :D

Overall a good weekend despite the massive dissapointment, the car's going to be up there and I can still win my 1st race :wink:,
which is at Mallory Park on Spring bank holiday monday....Can't come soon enough.

Paul.
Last edited by turbster on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2005 RSSOC Sprint and Hillclimb champion
LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a
Previous: Sabre Six GT, SE4, SE4a, SE4b, SE5, SE5a x 5, SE6a x 2, SE6b x 2, GTC, Middlebridge x 2, SS1 ti, Sabre 1.4k

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:56 pm

Hi Paul,
cracking result in qually mate, i knew youd be on the pace. shame about the oil cooler, but sure youll give em hell at next round.
has the engine got the grunt you want know?
car looks beautifully prepped as always mate
how steep is paddock hill bend when ya driving it!! :shock: like dropping off the end of the world!

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

heathsabre
RSSOC Member

Post by heathsabre » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:24 pm

A couple more photos.

Tony & Jaki Heath
Attachments
Brands270408-03.JPG
Danny on the straight
Brands270408-03.JPG (25.91 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
Brands270408-01.JPG
In the pit garage