Lavender Run 14 July 2013

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, nickkeyser

Nick
RSSOC Member

Lavender Run 14 July 2013

Post by Nick » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:42 pm

3 Scims *Me, David Bowlas and Dave Pugh) took part in the above on Sunday. A non competitive "tulip" Rally round the Cotswold. An excellent day visiting several places of interest with 50 "classics" taking part.
I wonder why the Club does not organise such events- those on International Rallies seem popular

Nick

1968 Coupe, MR2 and Beemer 3 series
Six times SSSC Class Winner
RSSOC Championship Co-ordinator
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Re: Lavender Run 2013

Post by scimjim » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:39 pm

"The Club" used to organise such events (we used to have one on Friday at Curbs IIRC?) and grass autotests and technical seminars, etc, then "the membership" stopped supporting them :-)

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

daveb
RSSOC Member

Post by daveb » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:17 pm

Good to see another pic of my yellow coupe parked up under the trees with Nick's Coupe and David's GTC at Broadway Tower on the Redditch Car Club's Lavender Run.
After lunch part of the run did not quite go to plan for me and wife/navigator Pat as knowing the inaccuracy of our fuel gauge it was essential to top up and this is where things started to go downhill.
The first garage after lunch just outside Broadway was closed at weekends, and 20 miles further the second one on roadbook at Toddington was just bare concrete fuel pump plinths!, and no fuel available till after the finish some 30-40 miles away. Reluctantly decided to divert off route to Evesham some 8 miles away where we pulled up on Tescos forecourt with fuel pump madly ticking so it was a close call. I did have a 1 gallon can of petrol in boot but only used in emergencies - its been used several times but at around 20 mpg I need to know where the next filling station is before using it.
So now I finally found out what I really knew but ignored, that the Suzuki fuel tank in boot is just about 7 gallons, not 10 - 12 as I thought, so now looking for an 10-12 gallon alloy/steel replacement that will fit alongsde battery in boot.

To get back to finish had to cut part of route rejoining at Welford for the final 20 miles of the route arriving about 20 numbers behind our correct place.
It was a super hot day, glad I had put the sun deflector strip accross top of window as dont have sun visors, great scenery views of Lavender fields and with the excellent start and finish venue the Stratford Armouries museum where the finish carvery meal was one of the best for a scenic run.

This venue could with its huge field at rear where we all parked,but could be for picnics and possible camping, plus more gravel parking at entrance, be a good spot for a RSSOC weekend being close to Henley in Arden, Stratford and loads of interesting river side villages. Could easily be a replacement for the old Drayton Manor, Hatton Country park weekends.

Did discuss scenic runs with a few from our midlands group but most not keen on fuel/entry cost of doing one of these events, plus they seem to prefer running around in convoy even when supplied with route sheet, but to try to get them interested we might organise a short 50 miles run out next year.
:D :D

Own and restored by me.
SE4 St 6 Coupe, SE6A, SE6B and Austin 10 1934
Previous Scimitars
SS1 1300 a runner but too small.
SE5 which needed restoration but stupidly sold to fund a restoration project MGBGT which I part restored and subsequently sold.

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:24 pm

I also question why more scimitars do not take part in these enjoyable runs
Dave Pugh and I did the Taith Cymru earlier in the year.
I fully intend to do the autumn leaves tour
http://www.hrcr.co.uk/images/uploaded/8 ... 405900.pdf
If anyone is interested then let me know so I can keep a check on scimitar numbers attending

Return to “Events”