RSS Instructions

Having problems with RSS? Outlook? Windows?

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, Terry Rickard

alyn

RSS Instructions

Post by alyn » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:15 am

Setting Up an RSS feed for Microsoft Outlook
We will be carrying out the following steps, which are dealt with in detail later on :-
A) You will need to download the free RSS reader called “RSS Popper”
B) You will install RSS Popper
C) Once installed you should un-subscribe from the newsfeeds that RSSPopper sets up
automatically.
D) Then you can subscribe to the ScimitarWeb feed.
Comments in italics are for clarification and may help if you prefer the keyboard to the mouse
The detailed instructions are as follows (assuming that you are using Internet Explorer for web
access) :-
1)Go to http://rsspopper.blogspot.com/2004/10/download.html and click on the Release
download for whichever version of Outlook you are using (Outlook, or Outlook Express).
2)When the File Download box pops up, click on the Save button, and then in the Save As box
choose somewhere that you will remember to save the file (write it down!). The file will be
called RSSPopper???.exe (where the ??? is the 3-digit release number.
This is quite quick as its only .5Mb. I suggest you make a folder(I called mine RSS tp put this
exe and maybe the next on into.
3)Close Outlook.
4)Find the downloaded file, starting from My Computer if necessary, or searching for
RSSPopper if you can't find it. Double-click it to start the installation process.
5)You may be told that the .NET framework is not installed. You can agree to install it. This is
not quite quick as its 23Mb. You should download dotnetfx.exe into your new folder. Then find
it in your new folderand run it. You will have to accept the Ts&Cs. When it’s finished you have
to go back to step 4 and re-run RSSPopper???.exe.
6)When the Setup box shows, click on the Next button.
7)When the Licence agreement shows, select the I Accept statement, and click the Next button.
8)When the Choose Components box shows, make sure that RSS Popper is highlighted (should
be automatic), click the Next button.
9)When the File Location box shows, click the Install button.
10)When the Completed box shows, click the Finish button.
That's the installation done. Now start (or re-start) Outlook, and the top left-hand corner should look
like this.....
Click on the RSS Popper button and choose Edit Feeds. You will see the following box....
Remove each feed in turn by selecting it (by clicking on the title), then clicking on the Delete
button, and confirming that you want to delete the feed. Eventually you should have No Feeds –
then click on the Apply button.
This may come up as a small window – maximize it to see the control buttons.
Shortcut - Click on the top one then holdown shift and press down arrow till all are selected – then
click delete.
Apply and OK are at bottom RH – Use Apply then Close or use OK do NOT just close the window
Now close the Feeds box with the X at the top right.
Now use Internet Explorer to go to the ScimitarWeb site. From the Menu choose the Discussion
Group, and Log In to the discussion group (you MUST be logged in for this next bit to work).
Use the Back Arrow to go back through the pages till you reach the ScimitarWeb Home Page. Now
click on the Discussion Forum RSS Feed button, and you'll see the following...
Most of this can be left unchanged. The important bit is to choose RSS 2.0 in the top drop-down
list, and hen to select near the bottom of the page those sections of the Discussion Forum that you
want to receive. Check that you have made the right choices in both of these, then click on Generate
URL
Some magic words (the URL) will now appear in the bottom box. Note that there will probably be
too many to fit in the box. Select the COMPLETE URL – if necessary click and hold at the start (to
the left of http) and then drag to the right, past the end of the box until the URL scrolls left.
Or click in the box – press Home (key) then hold down Shift and press End
Then right-click on the selected URL and left-click on Copy.
Now we need to go back to Outlook, click on the RSS button, choose Edit Feeds, then click on New
and choose RSS/Atom Feed. Right-click in the Link box and the left-click on Paste. Put a
meaningful title in the Title Box (ScimitarWeb ?). Choose a refresh interval (number of seconds
between checking for new posts – suggest 600) then click on OK, and then click on Apply.
Activate RSS by clicking the RSS is OFF button, and pick up any posts manually by clicking on the
Refresh button. You should now be receiving new posts.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:33 am

Just done all that and everything fine up to 10 then restarting outlook and nothing showing which seems to suggest that the rss is still there hiding away somewhere but how do I get it back again. I don't want to delete and reload outlook as I will lose too much info. I have been into everything in tools and every other box but cannot find anything.
Peter

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:19 am

Trying to set up RSS, can't see any RSS feed button anywhere as described on the pages? Help, I've set up for A2OC.net and F1 mole and they all work okay,

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:02 pm

Hi Mike, I used to use RSSPopper on my old PC, but although it works, I found it was a bit flakey. For the last 18 months or so since I got a new PC with IE7, this has an inbuilt RSS reader so I've been using that instead, and that does seem to be reliable, though reading the mails in IE is not quite as convenient as using Outlook was. It does appear though that the RSS feature on this site is a little bit primitive, and rather than automatically activating the RSS button is needs a certain amount of "hand-cranking" to get it set up. I found that if I copied the URL derived from the method outlined in the instructions, and then pasted it into the url bar, then hit go, when that page arrived IE would pick it up and capture it as a valid feed. Once I did that it was plain sailing from then on.

hope that helps,

....Roger

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:21 pm

I have just turned my RSS feed off as I just restarted Outlook and got 194 mails going back three days. Up till now I have only been getting new RSS postings when I first start up Outlook and none when it is running but 194 is just too many.
Peter

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:39 pm

That sounds about right for the last couple of days Peter, there were about 150 posts yesterday and today's up to 70 so far....

cheers,

....Roger

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Tony Dickinson

Post by Tony Dickinson » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:34 pm

ScimmyMike wrote:Trying to set up RSS, can't see any RSS feed button anywhere as described on the pages? Help, I've set up for A2OC.net and F1 mole and they all work okay,
RSS has been working and then not . Works on everything else but now I can't find the RSS Feed button to get the correct URL and hence it is totally broken.

Tony - from sunny Somerset
1972 SE5a - MOT fail in 1989!
Target rebuild date?????

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:43 pm

Tony, have you made the changes talked about in this other thread HERE?. This problem occurred last week, and stopped RSS dead in it's tracks (as well as killing the online shop). I made the changes as suggested and it's been working fine again, until tonight, when it's missed a few messages. Without that change though, I don't think it will work at all.

cheers,

....Roger

....Roger

Tony Dickinson

Post by Tony Dickinson » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:37 am

Roger Pennington wrote:Tony, have you made the changes talked about in this other thread HERE?. This problem occurred last week, and stopped RSS dead in it's tracks (as well as killing the online shop). I made the changes as suggested and it's been working fine again, until tonight, when it's missed a few messages. Without that change though, I don't think it will work at all.
....Roger
Made those changes and it now APPEARS to work - but no messages arrive on my PC. At least it has stopped filling up the box with error messages...

Tony - from sunny Somerset
1972 SE5a - MOT fail in 1989!
Target rebuild date?????

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:06 pm

Hi Tony,

After it's new glitch last night I thought I'd got it going again but it's still not working right for me either this morning - it didn't pick up any of the new posts already here, though it has picked up the posts I've just posted! I've added a new comment to the other "Forum Issues" thread.

cheers,

....Roger

....Roger

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:29 pm

I received 7 this morning including the ones above, seems hit and miss, Monday I had some first thing then nothing, then Tuesday morning a whole load came through from monday mid morning onwards!
Also for some reason a lot of the links in the slice technical index appear to be dead as well?

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer

Return to “Computer Problems and Solutions”