WINDOWS 7

Having problems with RSS? Outlook? Windows?

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, Terry Rickard

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

WINDOWS 7

Post by Coupe Racing » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:48 pm

I would like to upgrade from XP to windows 7

Can anyone point me to a place where I can buy a DVD with the full product and genuine license key

There are loads of OEM discs , but Im not sure if they work ?

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Re: WINDOWS 7

Post by peter freeman » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:19 pm

Personally I would stick with XP. I have my "standby" pc still running on XP as there are a number of programs which I need but do not run on the later windows versions.

nickkeyser
RSSOC Member

Post by nickkeyser » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:35 pm

It's worth bearing in mind that windows XP hasn't been supported for 2 years and therefore I don't believe receives security updates. Similarly windows 7 is outside it's mainstream support time.

Whilst remaining on XP may allow you to run older software packages, it will most likely give you issues with running newer packages and finding newer hardware drivers.

"Simplfy, then add lightness" - Colin Chapman

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:00 pm

I'm still getting updates on my XP - but I only have the pc on once a month. A big problem for me is that the network no longer works with XP and Windows 10 so to transfer files I have to put them on a memory stick. IE does not work on the NE club site with windows 10 so I have to use XP if I need to change anything - so much for progress.

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Post by Terry H » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:15 pm

You can get OEM Windows 7 disc with licence key on Ebay very cheap. I've bought five over the last year for less than £30. I did have to ring Microsoft Automated registration line with two of them but did get a code over the phone which worked OK. They are usually ex Dell computer discs.
Regards Terry H

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:35 pm

Terry H wrote:You can get OEM Windows 7 disc with licence key on Ebay very cheap. I've bought five over the last year for less than £30. I did have to ring Microsoft Automated registration line with two of them but did get a code over the phone which worked OK. They are usually ex Dell computer discs.
Regards Terry H

Hi Terry
Would this be an F disk and fresh install or an over write of the operating system?

Many thanks

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Post by Terry H » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:13 pm

The ones I use usually give you the option of upgrade or fresh install. This one looks OK except I would get a 64bit one, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windows-7-Pro ... SwHMJYIR0G it has service pack 1 with it. Nothing to do with me and at the end of the day you pays your money and takes your chances. It is one I would look into though. normally if the product key doesn't work you can ring Microsoft automated install line and you will get a long chain of letters/numbers which will help you get it installed.
Regards Terry H

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:30 pm

Hi Terry

would you mind if I carry this on via email ?

coupe.racing@gmail.com

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Post by Terry H » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:24 pm

Fine by me, if I can be of help please email me. t.hadigate@ntlworld.com
Regards Terry H

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:14 am

Hi Terry I replied to your email but I received an error notification

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Post by Terry H » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:53 am

Depending on when you sent it, it could be that Virgin media have been upgrading the system in my area and I had no service for a long time. The secretary of the SWCCC also emailed me and had his email returned to him. I just emailed myself using my email link to see if I get it. Did you get the email I sent to you on the 6/11/16 at 22.00.
Regards Terry H

woderaider

Post by woderaider » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:21 am

Hi
Just in case you end up with a copy of Windows 7 (I run Windows 7 Ultimate by the way) and you don't want to ring Microsoft with all that it entails........ You can use a piece of software called Daz 2.22 Windows Activator. I find that Windows 7 will run quite a few of the programmes that I have on my Windows 10 machine as well as those from XP, though some require the use of optimising software to run smoothly.

1969 Se5 GTE - No. 201
1971 Se5 GTE - No 1718
1979 Se6a
1969 Chevrolet Chevelle SS396
1971 Chevrolet Camaro SS396
1962/64/2 x 68 Volvo Amazons
1950 Citroen 11BL
1991 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5 TD
2002 Nissan Almera (the wife's)
1996 Volvo 850TDi Est
"Git thar fustest with the mostest" - Brig. Genl. Nathan Bedford Forrest C.S.A.

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:48 am

I have resent the message

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Post by Terry H » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:04 pm

I haven't received an email from you yet. I have been out and sent myself an email from a friends computer at 10am, that arrived OK. Try sending a PM maybe that will work. I will ring Virgin Media later and see if there is anything wrong with my service.
Regards Terry H

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:40 pm

nickkeyser wrote:It's worth bearing in mind that windows XP hasn't been supported for 2 years and therefore I don't believe receives security updates. Similarly windows 7 is outside it's mainstream support time.

Whilst remaining on XP may allow you to run older software packages, it will most likely give you issues with running newer packages and finding newer hardware drivers.
This thread illustrates why I bought an apple MackBook. Fed up with Microsoft attitude (ditching XP and charging for upgrades etc. which often seem to present more problems than they solve)
The full Apple operating system has been updated 3 times since I bought in 2014 all comprehensive and all for free on line. And if you really must you can install and run windows as well as Apple OS to run together on the same computer.
Norton seems to further take care of an already rather secure system, also seamlessly.
On the whole I far prefer the Apple OS. I still keep my XP (on a Dell) up and running as it has all my documents and photos and will still works on line. As I (slowly) learn how to set up Albums for photos and organise documents into files and folders I am transfering all my info from the Dell to the Apple.
There is still a vast amount I do not use and suspect will never get my head around but it is there to gradually get to know and seem to be really useful applications and cleaver useful methods and ways of doing things.
THE BIG SNAG I find is learning a new language and way of doing things a bit differently. How on earth did the Americans ccome to speak such a different (English) language....they are after all only colonial Brits gone wild :evil:

My age and consequent slow ability to learn new tricks does not help.......but such an improvement on the ZX81!!!! (still have it in loft).

I wish I had started with Apple in the first place.

Dennis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

Return to “Computer Problems and Solutions”