iMac buying help please !

Having problems with RSS? Outlook? Windows?

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, Terry Rickard

RonH
RSSOC Member

Post by RonH » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:00 pm

demonbluedays wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:39 pm
you'll also be amazed at how the mac's architecture runs circles around any MS orientated system, and Windows itself is a bad ripoff of Linux from years ago. I've used the top of the range iMacs for years with university work now, it'll take a bit of getting used to, however with Mac's being able to also handle multiple tasks with little or no slowdown if i had a spare 1500 quid i'd buy myself the latest iMac loaded to the hilt with all the options i could tick
My wife is determined in buying a 27” Mac tomorrow or Saturday latest. She can get a discount for being a student (final year of her masters) or I believe as a civilian working for the police. Looking at spending between £1600 to £2000. Any advice on which one or where to buy. At the moment looking at the Arndale ctr Manchester as well as John Lewis.
Ron

td99
RSSOC Member

Post by td99 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:17 pm

IMHO your're/She're better off buying a nice mac laptop and a 34 in hires 3440*1440 monitor. Better screen and better flexibility although might cost a bit more.

Trevor - 1800Ti daily driver
1800Ti DET project, RAV4

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:12 pm

Get the best that your budget will stretch to. If the i7 processor is within it, go for that. :wink:

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car. VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:51 pm

.We have had had an I mac for several years and love it. Ours has a 22 in screen, not sure why you need 27 unless a lot of high spec gaming

It is very stylish and looks good.

Continues to perform well. Generally I find Apple use more instinctive than Microsoft.

Apple support both in store and by phone is outstanding.

Only issues I have are connecting to non Apple kit ( Android phones) can be problematic, and range of available apps etc is less than on Microsoft.

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

Miles Burnett
RSSOC Member

Post by Miles Burnett » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:28 pm

We've had our iMac for several years and it is a real pleasure to use . It's just a question of understanding how Apple do things when you first get one, but I've always found the answer easily and it's because i'm trying to make something complicated! The 27in screen is great for working with several different things at once / splitting subjects/ editing etc. Normal PC s seem so 'clunky' to use in comparison. :D

Will Yarrow
RSSOC Member

Post by Will Yarrow » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:35 pm

Get the best price you can locally then phone up the Irish lot on the mac store, they'll nock 10% off minimum, I've had a mac book pro for five years, used extensively for work and pleasure and its still quicker than any windows laptop I've seen. I also got a 27" Imac for work and that is an absolute beaut. I would agree to go with the best you can afford as they do last.

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:05 am

Nick wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:51 pm
.We have had had an I mac for several years and love it. Ours has a 22 in screen, not sure why you need 27 unless a lot of high spec gaming

It is very stylish and looks good.

Continues to perform well. Generally I find Apple use more instinctive than Microsoft.

Apple support both in store and by phone is outstanding.

Only issues I have are connecting to non Apple kit ( Android phones) can be problematic, and range of available apps etc is less than on Microsoft.

If your getting an iMac, Nick just hit it smack on the head, my parents have a 27 inch iMac and it never gets used, so it's just sat there gathering dust slowly.

The only other warning is make sure it's always updated (check once a month via the Apple icon toolbar) as I've recently had a lovely time trying to get them updates from 10.7.5 while preserving their HDD contents as the system wanted a clean sweep before installing...managed to do it but had they have updated itwhen It was needed they'd have saved themselves a lot of aggravation

Tom "DemonBlueDays" Williams

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

1979 Se6a Manual Overdrive "Link"

Formerly RSSOC #3185 - Must renew eventually....

Return to “Computer Problems and Solutions”