windows - again

Having problems with RSS? Outlook? Windows?

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, Terry Rickard

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

windows - again

Post by peter freeman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:03 pm

Just installed the latest windows update but had to remove Nero to do so ( got it on my XP machine anyway ) but as usual everything needs redoing. Adobe Pro would not work until I re-installed it and PSP 8 does not open jpg files - windows searches for PSP 8 then says it cannot find it and when I close the search PSP 8 opens. Beats me how they can not make updates backward compatible or are they hoping to sell more software. I only installed the update because it kept trying to install it every time I switched the pc on which was very annoying but I could not stop it trying. Yet to find the other "faults" but no doubt there will be many.

DJC777
RSSOC Member

windows - again

Post by DJC777 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:36 pm

It is of course another windows feature https://www.howtogeek.com/243581/window ... ut-asking/ no wonder that people are ditching windows for other solutions.

Dave

1984 Stevens Cipher
1970 SE5 under full restoration
1971 SE5A in storage

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

windows - again

Post by drcdb15 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:28 pm

This is Win 10, isn't it. The answer is to run Win 7. Win 10 updates whether you like it or not, and is pretty much user-indifferent. OTOH, Win 7 runs happily whether you update it or not. It has some of the usual MS annoyances, like after an update sometimes you can only open Word and Excel files as Read-only (though they seem to have got over that in recent months), but there is one simple answer - don't update!

I generally only install the updates 2 or 3 times a year, waiting until they have some roll-up or other. The rest of the time the firewall and Avast seem to keep me safe. I also don't install anything I don't like - so no Windows Defender or malicious software removal tool etc, no purely optional updates, etc. The vast majority of these updates are merely for minor hypothetical risks that might occur if someone tries to hack you on a Wednesday with an R in the month and you happen to be logged into your bank at the time ... but if that does ever happen, the other free stuff like Malwarebytes will get you unstuck. Windows updates are an awful lot of hassle for precious litte reward, and these days what exactly is the risk? Hackers are generally state sponsored, looking for infrastructure like power stations and the NHS, or they're loners going after Android in the mobile phone market. Dinosaurs still using computers (even worse, DESKTOPS, oh the shame!) are pretty much yesterday's news in the hacking world now.

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

Terry H
RSSOC Member

windows - again

Post by Terry H » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:03 pm

The bit about windows update putting your files into a "Windows old" also happens with windows 7 Ultimate as well.
Regards Terry H

Return to “Computer Problems and Solutions”