In car video

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, nickkeyser

stevesims

In car video

Post by stevesims » Sat May 23, 2015 7:42 pm

The use of in car videos is the latest hot topic in trials.
Rule J.20.5 has been quoted.
This has caught a few people by surprise including me.
I have never had the camera questioned at scrutineering,has any sprint guys come across this rule before?

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Re: In car video

Post by scimjim » Sat May 23, 2015 7:46 pm

Permission to use cameras needs to be in the SRs technically but I don't think it normally is and there's only a few places that invoke J5.20.5 (MIRA & military establishments like Boscombe Down from memory?)

Section J 5.20.5. Be prohibited from carrying cameras/videos unless authorised by the Chief Scrutineer and Event Organiser.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

stevesims

Post by stevesims » Sat May 23, 2015 7:57 pm

That's where the confusion has come from ,I think the Clark of the course has just assumed in car video is allowed and not entered it into Srs.
I don't know who trawls through the blue book just to catch folk out but they obviously have too much time on their hands.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sat May 23, 2015 8:07 pm

As an example:

I can't see any mention of cameras in ASRs from Ty-Croes or Aintree - neither of which seem to mind them.

Goodwood say: Filming. All parties wishing to make film or video recordings of any part of the event for commercial purposes must obtain the necessary permission of the circuit owners, Goodwood Road Racing Company Limited, beforehand. Any competitor wishing to carry an in-car video camera must obtain an in car video form at signing on

MIRA say: M.I.R.A. are very hot on security so no spectators or photographic equipment are allowed, neither are late arrivals!

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

swoakes
RSSOC Member

Post by swoakes » Sat May 23, 2015 8:52 pm

stevesims wrote:The use of in car videos is the latest hot topic in trials.
Rule J.20.5 has been quoted.
This has caught a few people by surprise including me.
I have never had the camera questioned at scrutineering,has any sprint guys come across this rule before?
Never had an issue and we have run at Loton Park, Harewood, Ty-Croes, Aintree, Shelsley, Curbs and Prescott. I could be wrong but I think some regs do say permission must be sought. Don't normally have the camera in the car for Scrutinneering though...just the bracket :)

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

stevesims

Post by stevesims » Sat May 23, 2015 9:33 pm

I think this will all blow over when the next hot topic hits the forums and emails.

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sat May 23, 2015 11:22 pm

The MSA have been making noises re cameras for sprints/hills for a while. Almost all circuit racing at MotorSportVision circuits make you sign a waiver saying that the footage is their property and can never be used in court proceedings blah, blah.
The MSAs current worry seems to be with the range of fixings of the cameras, from professional mounts to velcro and double sided tape and all stops in between. Scrutes are being asked to check the mountings as a camera coming loose could end up in the footwell and could clonk someone in an accident if it broke free, so i can see their thinking, albeit done in the usual half cocked MSA manner.

Our Curborough SRs will have a stipulation asking the driver to identify to the scrutineers if tgey intend on using a camera, so the scrutes can ensure the mountings are sound.
At Curbs earlier this year, a Go pro was flung from the roll bar of a westfield and ended in the field behind the spectators having bounced past spectators.

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

stevesims

Post by stevesims » Sun May 24, 2015 9:10 am

That's an interesting point made about appeals.
We registered a protest not so long ago on a re start.We submitted in car video as part of our protest and it was not allowed.
The reason given was that the cars number could not be seen on the video ,so it could not be proved it was our car.
The video audio was clearly me talking to my navigator and my navigator replying to my question and the visual was clearly a SS1 with the front of the car inside the re start box/flags.
We won our appeal though albeit not through in car video ,I reckon it must have had some influence other wise it was our word against the re start Marshall.
It all left a bitter taste in the mouth, as you know without the marshals there would be no event .But if you have cleaned a section ,you have cleaned a section and deserve the points.

Return to “General Trialling Chat”