Hillclimb prep

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, nickkeyser

Jasper53

Hillclimb prep

Post by Jasper53 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:25 pm

Now we’ve eventually got the SS1 Nissan sorted, moving towards what we bought it for in the first place, sprints and climbs. Without trawling through all of the posts, what is allowed for road car spec.? Cars seats are knackered so will be replacing those. Think I’ll sort a seatbelt bar on the roll cage for some full harness belts. Car seems to have laminated screen. Wheels are aftermarket alloys, but standard size. Not really interested in any more power than it’s got now with the standard lump. What’s the situation with the diff? Are slips allowed? Brakes were pretty free for all the last time we had a sprint car. Suspension? We have a hard top, would you run with that on, or the ragtop? Not looking to break eggs just out for a bit of fun with like minded petrol heads.
Any info before we start would be gratefully received.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Hillclimb prep

Post by philhoward » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:37 pm

We run within the Classic Marques championship nowadays which is pretty much a bhp/ton handicap based system. I'd say keep it roadgoing for ease - seats are therefore free and harnesses are advised (3" IIRC - that's what we have), rather than mandatory (for now, at least).

Diff, no problem. Wheels, no issue, but tyres need to be from the Motorpsort UK (was MSA) list. List 1A (road tyres) are popular as you get an additional handicap penalty for anything grippy; Uniroyal Rainsport 3 are the most popular currently.

Add a bit of yellow tape for the battery earth, some stickers here and there for IGN OFF etc and towing straps front and rear.

We run with the hardtop; can't have glass in it if there's a sunroof IIRC?

You might be just too late to get a sneaky entry at Scimfest, but there's Harewood Hill the week after if there's still space, plus Blyton Park in September which isn't a million miles from you. Both need you to have a Nat B non-race license, and membership of Classic Marques - these are pretty much paperwork exercises. Online in the case of the license and an email to Classic Marques.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
SS1 Racer
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Hillclimb prep

Post by CNHSS1 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:40 pm

If RG keep all interior save for seats which can be changed to race versions.

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Jasper53

Hillclimb prep

Post by Jasper53 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:22 pm

Cheers guys, depends how much work arrives, may get to Blyton. Went there a couple of years back with a Lotus and had a great day. Plenty of room in case of right leg seizure. Have a licence as we do a bit of classic rallying. Keep you informed. :D

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Hillclimb prep

Post by CNHSS1 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:08 pm

Worth going to ScimFest even just for a look at all the prepped cars there, lots of ideas to pinch :wink:

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Hillclimb prep

Post by reliant-reviver » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:16 pm

Firstly. Do it.

Then just in response to Phil's comment. Never had an issue with my glass sunroof. Been asked to tape over it at one event only and no mention at the other dozen or so venues I've attended.

Be aware that any seat belts you put in must conform to blue book regulations for mounting spec. I was going to put eye bolts on the stock lower mountings (into seat frame) to take my harness, bit was advised against it.

So I just run road seats and belts. Make sure you fit with your helmet on if you change the seats, not a problem for the vertically challenged.

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

Jasper53

Hillclimb prep

Post by Jasper53 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:38 pm

Will try and get to Harewood for a nose round and a day out. Are the public allowed into the paddock?
When we build the classic rally cars we normally leave both seat belt types in the cars. For one it makes it easier to use as a road car and there is always a fall back if the scrutiniser takes a dislike to the full harness belts. Some of the cars we do don’t even legally need belts! Have never had a problem attaching the full harness belts to the original mountings or a problem with any width of belt in the rally cars, even customer supplied Securon 2” 4 points, but maybe sprints are different? We would normally fit plates as per BB if fitting to a car with no mounting points. A scrutineer lives not too far away and we normally get him to give the cars a look over before sending off to customer. As we build the cages, he keeps us up to speed with tube specs. Our hardtop is solid so no trouble there. We’ll ask our tyre suppliers regards the suggested tyres, sure they’ll do them. Much appreciate the information so far. Just hope we get time to do our own car rather than making money!

Dcrosby13
RSSOC Member

Hillclimb prep

Post by Dcrosby13 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:10 pm

Always the problem when you run your own shop, saving weight will improve everything so that would be my main focus.

I break stuff...... :w

Kingya13
RSSOC Member

Hillclimb prep

Post by Kingya13 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:50 pm

With Harewood, you can get in free if you have a pass off one of the competitor's. I have a spare one and I'm sure there will be more going.

Current- Megan Mark 3 (1400) and Number 1 (1300) :D

Nick

Hillclimb prep

Post by Nick » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:45 am

Hi,

If it has not been said, you do need a headrest even in Roadgoing. I fitted a 4 point harness in my MR2 and have had no issues with scrutineers using the exiting bottom mounts. I also kept the standard seat belt for road use and as a back up. Im my SS1 I used the outer mounting point, but had to drill the chassis for the inner one. Roll bar for the top 2. Plenty to look at at Curbs or probably Harewood. LSD fine in Roadgoing. Both a Quaiffe (my choice) or the viscous one out of a Ford will work.

Blyton is a good sprint circuit with plenty of run off. I am doing both days in Sept.

PS if you get to Curbs try to have a chat with David Bowlas, our Scrutineer. he is very helpful, and into Classic Rallying.

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

Jasper53

Hillclimb prep

Post by Jasper53 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:17 pm

Will see what’s what. Funny feeling we may be booked at a car show with trade stand that weekend? If we are free, will get in touch for any paddock passes which may be available and hopefully get to see some of you there. Hope this silly weather sorts itself out before then. Thanks again.

Kingya13
RSSOC Member

Hillclimb prep

Post by Kingya13 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:55 pm

Hey jasper, I have tried to pm you but my messages aren't sending. If you're still looking at coming we will be able to get you in.

Current- Megan Mark 3 (1400) and Number 1 (1300) :D

Return to “General Sprint and Hillclimb Chat”