Complete Novice

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

AndyM
RSSOC Member

Complete Novice

Post by AndyM » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:31 pm

Good Evening,

As part of my mid life crisis turning 40 last year I bought myself a 1600 SS1. I swapped a few messages with Craig at the end of the summer about participating in a few sprints and hill climbs in 2018, and he suggested introducing myself on the Forum.

Living in Somerset (Weston-super-Mud), I would like to try and take part in some of the more Sothern events of 2018 (Midlands and Down) and enter my pretty much standard car.

Reading loads of information online along with the details Craig kindly sent me before, prepping my car seems relatively straight forward although most of this will hinge on if there are any major issues with the MOT due next month.

I realise I have already missed the meeting last weekend where I could of probably learnt a fair bit, but am I being daft entering a standard car?

Do people attend every event or do they pick and choose throughout the year?

I suppose I am trying to work out, as a complete novice, am I better to enter events via the RSSOC as part of a structure season (I am already a member of the RSSOC) or joining a local motor club and taking part in a few events through them first?

Your thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Andy

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Complete Novice

Post by reliant-reviver » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:26 pm

Excellent!
Standard is the place to start imho. We haven't seen a roadgoing 1600 compete in several years, I've been having a whale of a time in my ex daily driver 1300 the past couple years though.

Do the events that make sense travel and timing wise. Given your location I would do Wiscombe (with caution) and Gurston, which has much less terrifying!

Otherwise. Up the M5 to Prescott isn't too bad and Castle Combe is a good fast track to experience.

Worth making enquiries about the RSSOC sprint academy support programme as that should be rolled out again this year

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

swoakes
RSSOC Member

Complete Novice

Post by swoakes » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:41 pm

Good new; the more the merrier.

The Clubs calendar gives you access to a number of events close to you and will give you the opportunity to meet up with other club members.

Definitely worth enquiring about the Clubs academy as that will pay for your biggest outlay the safety gear required.

People generally pick and choose events and don't even try to enter all on the calendar.

Have a read of this if you haven't already viewtopic.php?f=83&t=17781

It will answer may of your novice questions :wink:

Any more questions ask away :)

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

PeterSM
RSSOC Member

Complete Novice

Post by PeterSM » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:00 pm

Welcome!
Excellent News. My advice would be to enter some events where other SSSC compies will be taking part. This will give you the support of others who have more experience than you. Watching in car YouTube videos will help but cannot replace walking the track with someone more experienced than you. The chat and banter that takes place between runs is invaluable. Also look at viewtopic.php?f=83&t=36081.

Peter Smith
SS1 Sprint Car, 1800Ti SS1 and a very special Sabre DET

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Complete Novice

Post by reliant-reviver » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:07 pm

Coming back to a couple more points / questions.

SS1 1600, perfectly good starting point and a great way to nose into the world of competition. Assuming the car is in reasonable road worthy condition, then the only things I would look at. Safety. You MUST have a minimum of the optional factory roll hoop fitted (or better spec equivalent as available from the owners club) to comply with the Scimitar Speed Championship (MSA) regulations.
Brakes - make sure these are in fine fettle, new fluid, quality pads and good discs. They are more than adequate to stop the car, but don't push your luck.

Competing. The biggest initial cost is the personal safety gear, so that outlay is fixed regardless of how many events you do. To that end, you may as well look at putting a good few dates in the diary to really get a taste of it. You need to record a time at 7 events on the calendar to contend for the SSSC championship, but no harm in doing less, you will still get honourable mention!

How long have you been a RSSOC member? There has been a good run of articles in the past few years from (us) newbies and experienced competitors alike. Worth getting your hands on a few back issues if you're new on the scene. Otherwise, there is a wealth of knowledge here and plenty of people ready to pitch in and help with advice.

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

AndyM
RSSOC Member

Complete Novice

Post by AndyM » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:30 pm

Thanks for all the replies and the links etc. It gives me more confidence to take the plunge.

Fortunately my very supportive wife and kids treated me to a race suit for my birthday and father Christmas delivered gloves! Just a helmet and some boots and I should be all kitted out.

I had the roll bar supplied by the club fitted last year as I didn't feel that comfortable relying on the windscreen with my kids in the car. Also after boiling the breaks and popping a cylinder on a Llandow track day in the Autumn, I now have new breaks and dot 5.1 fluid.

Where/ or who to, would I enquire about the Academy?

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Complete Novice

Post by scimjim » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:18 pm

Excellent news. I’ve just signed up for the championship in my RG 1600.

Phil (lead foot) Morgan (ex Compie) lives in WSM too.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

swoakes
RSSOC Member

Complete Novice

Post by swoakes » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:23 pm

PM PeterSM who replied above; he is joint Comp sec. He is last years academy guy and will advise on how to apply for this year :wink:

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

Benjamin Franklin

swoakes
RSSOC Member

Complete Novice

Post by swoakes » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:32 pm

Oh and by the way we are organising a test day in March where if ready you give your car a go on track and meet some of your fellow compies :wink:

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

Benjamin Franklin

Corky
RSSOC Member

Complete Novice

Post by Corky » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:35 am

Welcome, we were all newbies once. Please ask away if you’re stuck or unsure of anything.

The test day would be a good way to gain some track experience very quickly. There’ll also be people on hand to take you round or sit in with you to give you some advice.

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car. VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

AndyM
RSSOC Member

Complete Novice

Post by AndyM » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:58 am

A test day sounds ideal. Everything should be ready by March and it will give me a chance to iron out some creases with both the car and the driver.

Are the test days at Curborough? Are there any potential dates yet?

swoakes
RSSOC Member

Complete Novice

Post by swoakes » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:57 am

AndyM wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:58 am
A test day sounds ideal. Everything should be ready by March and it will give me a chance to iron out some creases with both the car and the driver.

Are the test days at Curborough? Are there any potential dates yet?
Yes it will be at Curborough probably second half of March sometime in the week as track hire is cheaper. Watch the forum for confirmed date by Comp Secs

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

Benjamin Franklin

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Complete Novice

Post by Coupe Racing » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:21 pm

AndyM wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:30 pm
Thanks for all the replies and the links etc. It gives me more confidence to take the plunge.

Fortunately my very supportive wife and kids treated me to a race suit for my birthday and father Christmas delivered gloves! Just a helmet and some boots and I should be all kitted out.

I had the roll bar supplied by the club fitted last year as I didn't feel that comfortable relying on the windscreen with my kids in the car. Also after boiling the breaks and popping a cylinder on a Llandow track day in the Autumn, I now have new breaks and dot 5.1 fluid.

Where/ or who to, would I enquire about the Academy?

PM sent

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

AndyM
RSSOC Member

Complete Novice

Post by AndyM » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:50 am

How long does it take for the licence to come through? I guess I should be applying now?

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Complete Novice

Post by philhoward » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:52 am

Luckily it's an online form for a Nat B non-race - took about 10 minutes to do (took as long to take a picture..you upload one), and it arrived within about a week.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Return to “General Sprint and Hillclimb Chat”