Classic Marques Handicap Challenge

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, nickkeyser

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Re: Classic Marques Handicap Challenge

Post by CNHSS1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:27 pm

IF our curbs is included it will help the curbs entry, maybe back to the heady days of whe the westfield championship attended and 100 cas and turning people away! That alone would be a huge financial boost to the curbs coffers!

Well done all concerned if this does come off :-)

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:38 pm

As a relatively new competitor, this does concern me a little. I would be worried that in the future the competition in the CMHC becomes more attractive than the SSSC. And eventually the SSSC is no longer viable.

I can understand that competitors with years of experience under their belts looking for stiffer competition may want to run in both championships. But unless the two calendars are identical, this may not be financially or logistically viable, and ultimately a choice would have to be made. And conversely if both calendars were merged, what would be the point in entering both ?

Personally speaking, I like the look of the SSSC calendar for 2013. It is a good mix of events around the country, and it should be very easy to get the magical seven events done (I was counting on Aintree X 2, Loton X 2, Anglesey X 2 and Curbs + any others I could get to, such as MIRA, Shelsley & possibly Thoresby). The CMHC calendar, doesn't do it for me and I would struggle to do seven . And I would certainly not be able to do seven in each, even with a couple of the common ones thrown in.

It sounds like there'll be more newbies next year, and some returning competitors. If the water is muddied by adding a 2nd championship, could that situation put people off ? or force them to make a choice ?

Just food for thought :roll:
Last edited by Corky on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti sprint car, project. VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 2xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

red rocket
RSSOC Member

Post by red rocket » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:08 pm

My tuppence worth coming up.......

Where the calendars collide it makes sense to me to run a shadow to the classic but to otherwise hold our own calendar. This is contingent upon those who say they're coming out to play actually doing so........!!!

We need especially to encourage road goers. Most as I did start there (it makes sense) and then move up :w

I only ride 'em - I dunno what makes them work

Nick
RSSOC Member

Post by Nick » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:14 pm

I would have thought if both Championships run at the same event, and a Competitor is registered for both Championships, he would score points in both.

I am not sure but would have thought this is how it works. We all run to MSA regs anyway

Nick

1968 Coupe, MR2 and Beemer 3 series
Six times SSSC Class Winner
RSSOC Championship Co-ordinator
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:48 pm

Certainly the SSSC is scored 'after the fact' so has no effect on standings on the day ( class pots). I pretty certain that the TVR series is also after the fact so would assume the Intermarque would be the same.

If the above is correct, so long as the competitor has registered for both SSSC & Intermarque champiosnhips, then they would simultaneously score for both anyway.

re steves point of one championship over another, its possible, but just as likely that each marque will patronise their own events first and Intermarque second anyway, so i think all would have to wait and see.

As for the calendar, i have to say the IM is more the norm imho, the SSSC is very rare in having a truly National championship with a good mix of hills and sprints ( for tbe record hill climbs and sprints are seperate disciplines, albeit timed in the same way, so most championships are one or tother).
The SSSC has more topline events, shelsley, prescott, Goodwood, so again should be more attractive.

I have mentioned my concerns over the IM before, but i look at the 2 calenders and think they work well together.
Those compies on a serious SSSC title run, and probably scim newbies too, are more likely to patronise the SSSC anyway imho, so until provn otherwise i cant see the IM detracting from the SSSC yet, but time will tell.

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:50 pm

I also think that IM interest from scim types will be dependant on the IM registartion fee..... scim types are notoriously tight ;-)

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:11 pm

Steve
Just re-read your post. You are going to do the SSSC minimum 7 to qualify, some of which will aslo be IM rounds, so i dont see a problem? The IM is additionalto, not instead of the sssc or the other marque championships imho, the only exceptilns being where one of the marque championships has folded tbrough lack of numbers and it gives the few remaining a classic lifeline as opposed to the midland or brit champs rounds where roadgoing scim is going to be destroyed by a modefn Evo or similar

Dont see a need to worry, just enjoy competing :-)

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:21 pm

Just to be clear, just becasue an sssc round is also an IM round, doesnt mean you have to be registered for the IM championship, only if you wish to score points in that championship, so no ones being pushed toawrds it imho.

That said, the SSSC no longer visits Brands, but the IM will

J55 JGL
RSSOC Member

Post by J55 JGL » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:29 pm

You are spot on Craig . I hope to mix and match in 2013 and compete with a few more in class than we did in 2012
Cheers John

Stirred not shaken!

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:33 pm

CNHSS1 wrote:Steve
Just re-read your post. You are going to do the SSSC minimum 7 to qualify, some of which will aslo be IM rounds, so i dont see a problem? The IM is additionalto, not instead of the sssc or the other marque championships imho, the only exceptilns being where one of the marque championships has folded tbrough lack of numbers and it gives the few remaining a classic lifeline as opposed to the midland or brit champs rounds where roadgoing scim is going to be destroyed by a modefn Evo or similar

Dont see a need to worry, just enjoy competing :-)
Yes I understand that you'd score in both if you were entered in both. And yes, I'm more interested in getting at least seven SSSC events done than a single CMHC one.

One of my points is that the SSSC calendar looks much more appealing than the other one (and everyone seems to be on the same page about not wanting to lose the premier events that the SSSC gets invited to), and it has sort of been implied that maybe the SSSC calendar could be aligned to the CMHC. Maybe I've misunderstood some of the comments, but I don't like the sound of that scenario.

As an add-on championship only (and if it doesn't interfere with the SSSC), it sounds like it'd be a nice little extra to be able to bench mark ourselves against other manufacturers' machinery (but don't we do that unofficially anyway :lol: ).

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti sprint car, project. VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 2xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

Nick
RSSOC Member

Post by Nick » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:36 pm

No one has asked me to "adjust" the SSOC calendar, and I have no intention of doing so unless mandated by the majority of Compies :wink:

the only "questionable" events from my perspective are the May Curbs- which was cancelled last yer, and Thoresby in Sept where I would appreciate a bit of commitment before we add to the calendar

Nick

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:33 pm

what came of this? was it discussed at Compies meeting?

is it a go-er for 2013, and if so whats the registering criteria, cost etc?

Nick
RSSOC Member

Post by Nick » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:30 pm

It was discussed at Compies meet, consensus being that there was not a downside so it would go ahead.

I think Paul was going to liase.

Please note you should be registered for the SSOC Championship to register for ther Inter Marque.
Last edited by Nick on Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:26 pm

i am :mrgreen:

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:18 pm

just spotted this site

http://www.classic-marques-speed-challenge.com/#

basically uses the same scoring system we are used to (ours was based on Steve Cox's TVR scoring system), but has 7 classes, see regs section

http://media.wix.com/ugd//fd72d2_c02a81 ... 565a2e.pdf

as the first event was at Lydden the other day and James and Richard 'Team' Carter attended, we should be able to see how they would've faired against the other marques although I don't think either of them were registered so wont appear on official classic marques results.

the next time Scimitars meet the championship is Anglesey May event, where there will be a few more out to play.

interesting to note that the individual competitors registration fee is £35. Just for balance, the SSSC is £15 and you should be a registered SSSC competitor to register for the Classic Marques....

Return to “General Sprint and Hillclimb Chat”