Newcomer

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, nickkeyser

choughton

Newcomer

Post by choughton » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:47 pm

Hi all
this is my first meaningful post so don't drag me down too much, i own two ss1s, one is my everyday car and one I am going to prepare for track days with the eventual intention being to compete in whatever class it falls into.

The Daily

The new (old and rusty) one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270789038990? ... 1006wt_932

I have a few questions about the requirements for these cars to compete.

1. Are there any limitations on the type of engine?

2. Where is the best place to acquire a full roll cage?

3. Are there any limitations to aerodynamic/ bodywork changes?

4. are there any other limitations I need to know about?

I have a lot of ideas for the car and have already stripped it back to the bare chassis which has revealed a few problems. Which I will solve over the coming months. And if there is enough interest I will start a dedicated thread to document my progress.

As a side note, a lot of parts on the new car are surplus to requirements so if you see anything you need, let me know.

CNHSS1

Re: Newcomer

Post by CNHSS1 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:08 pm

hiya

1. yes and no dependant on class. MSA Roadgoing and MSA Modified Production, the car has to use tha same base engine, although cylinder heads are free in ModProd. MSA Sports Libre, any engines fine

2. Speak to the Clubs Spares Dept man, Scimjim, as they can do the best deals these days

3. Aero
Roadgoing--pretty much nothing can be done
ModProd--anything goes below wheel axle centre lines, but above there, only limited changes to bonnet/boot, nothing else to change profile/silhouette. Rear aero on bootlid is limited to max width of the car (cant overhang sides), cant overhang furthest extremity of bodywork and no higher than 1/2 height of rear window. Also no 'pylon' mounted rear wings/spoilers, they must start from the rear deck/bootlid, with no gaps.
Sports Libre--pretty much everything can be altered in profile and silhouette, plyon mounted wings but no higher than 900mm from the ground (couple of exceptions, but these wouldnt apply to an SS1

Lightweight panels can be used in Modprod and Libre, luckily as std panels are composite

4. The MSA rule book or Blue Book is the bible. Absolute nightmare to decipher, but its the rules.

If you want to build a no holds barred racer, sports libre is the best bet, BUT its difficult to be competitive against Mallocks, sports GT cars, 700hp 4wd Ford Pumas, Radicals etc in Libre.
Modprods probably the best class imho for mods vs competitiveness. Its basically a seriously tweaked level, but you have to start with the best base car. Plenty of scope for lightening, power hikes, tyres (List 1B semi-slicks or full slicks), and a good chunk or aero without throwing the baby out with the bath water like in Libre.

Oh, and get the Project Thread up asap!!

CNH

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:12 pm

Hi and welcome, love the blue SS1 (could you email me the chassis and engine number for the register please?) and you got a real bargain with the red one!

Definitely get a project thread on the go.

Oh and sell me that driver's seat please!

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

CNHSS1

Post by CNHSS1 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:21 pm

2nd dibs on the seat ! :mrgreen:

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:25 pm

Don't you actually need one for the SST Craig? (as opposed to me who just know that's one day he might need one) I did email ya with a link to the red SS1 when it was Ebay!

Philip Andrew.

choughton

Post by choughton » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:32 pm

I have a cosworth v6 which i was going to chuck in with a few mods here and there as the engine is not usable in the red car. However id prefer to compete against other scimitars due to the level playing field. I am into the designing of cars more than racing so I may try my luck with mod prod. May sell the engines and switch to Nissan 1800Ti.
I was waiting for someone to say something about the seat , I am not sure if its original or another seat with scimitar fabric I will take it out tomorrow and have a look. Il sort the chassis number at the same time as well.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:38 pm

Unless you have a very light V6 (all alloy one) then stick with one of the native 4-pots otherwise you'll find the handling compromised and it becoming understeer-city. The Cosworth (I assume a BOA/BOB rather than a GAA) V6 isn't that light from memory - I tried an SS1 with the 2.8 Cologne fitted and that was a little "unbalanced" to say the least!

Philip is the knowledge on the various different seats - it doesn't look to be an SS1 one - SST/Sabre at a guess?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

choughton

Post by choughton » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:48 pm

Its far too high to be honest but its very comfortable and the foam is good so it could theoretically be grafted onto the ss1 seat frame right? Its a BOA engine which is rather heavy but I was going to compensate for this by removing some of the front structure and replacing with aluminium.

CNHSS1

Post by CNHSS1 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:51 pm

its an SST seat.
Yes R-R, you did point me in the direction of the car originally but it was only the seat i wanted. Im trying to cut down on all the scim crap ive got, not add to it! :lol:

(hence the mountain of odds and sods you an Nick K ended up with :lol: )

CNHSS1

Post by CNHSS1 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:54 pm

as for engines, go for it, but if you stick a bloody diesel in it, you will have all your man points removed and should be made to drive slowly for the rest of your days :twisted:

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:58 pm

Speak nicely to Craig and get an "Active Nose" - will save you several kg's on the front...see Nick Keyser's SS1 1600 thread as he's fitting (fitted?!?!) one..that might help compensate for the additional weight of the BOA?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

choughton

Post by choughton » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:59 pm

You are welcome to the seat its just taking up space right now along with two other ruined SS1 seats I have. Also for future reference I have jaguar XJS leather seats in the blue SS1 and they fit like a glove with only slight adjustments required. I am not a fan of diesels as the son of a garage owner and a studying physics student I Know of far too many problems which can happen.

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:01 pm

Where abouts are you located btw?

If Craig doesn't have the seat I will!

Philip Andrew.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:03 pm

looks more like a Metro seat to me?

welcome to the forum choughton :-)

better to build TO a class rather than enter whatever class the car falls into IMHO?

between the reprobates above and myself, we probably have any small sports spares you'll ever need and a few you won't :-)

I have standard (2 point) cages in stock which should be considered the absolute minimum even for a road car. 6 point cages are available to order.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

choughton

Post by choughton » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:10 pm

Im very good with fibreglass and bodywork I have already started on moulds for 1 piece front and rear bodywork I'l start the project thread soon and include pictures of what I'm doing. When the time comes Il have a 6 point cage as i value my life but at the moment it would just take up space and get damaged so if its ok to contact you when Im ready? I'm located in Kirkby on the outskirts of Liverpool very near to the Aintree track which you guys attend.

Return to “General Sprint and Hillclimb Chat”