Curborough 18 August 2013

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, nickkeyser

nickkeyser
RSSOC Member

Re: Curbs Sprint 18th August 2013

Post by nickkeyser » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:40 pm

Nick wrote:, Nick Keyser's 23.92 is impresive

I'm extremely pleased with that! Jims car really is a fantastically well setup bit of kit. Hopefully I have a video of my best run - will get it loaded up soon.

"Simplfy, then add lightness" - Colin Chapman

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:47 pm

dependant on tyres and rolling radius of the tyres, and engine power, would dictate the ratio.

I suspect a 3.62 would be better on current setup, would reduce wheels spin due to taller gearing and allow the 1st gear to be abit longer, on yours (and most tweaked Ti's) you end up snatching 2nd almost immediately which doesn't help traction. If you go for bigger rolling radius tyres (225/50 maybe) then a 3.9 will bring it back about right

if you go to 1Bs, you could be clever like the Keysers and run 13" wheels and tyres. 13" is the bastion of race cars and light 7-Types, so loads of sticky and usually reasonably priced tyres. other benefit is theres a whole range of rolling radius's. Beauty of a smaller rolling radius is that it does more rotations per mile, so gets warmer quicker (10% across ya average Curbs dbl lapper) and it lowers the car BUT crucially leaves the geometry the same as stock, unlike the normal method of lowering which buggers up the geometry, especially the rear.
for 13" 1Bs, look at Avon ZZRs, Yoko Ao48s, Toyo R888s in SG compound, Avon ACB10s, Kumho V70As (almost universal in Modprod as 'THE' tyre of choice). Its worth getting the motorsport tyre data sheets which give the actual sizes of tread width, rolling radius, etc, rather than the generic 185/60-13 etc which is just a guide size. Compound is everything, a wider tyre in the wrong compound wont be as effective as a narrower softer compound for our use in sprints/hills. Also hugely wide boots are draggy both in terms of bhp-sapping and aero drag at speed.

also think about tyre & wheel weights. Of the two the wheel is heavier, so a smaller wheel, with larger profile tyre will be lighter for the same rolling radius than a larger diameter wheel and lower profile tyre combo ;-) remember this weight saving is x 4 times too...

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

swoakes
RSSOC Member

Post by swoakes » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:56 pm

Cheers Craig.....lots to think about

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Big Brakes Road Going Series Production

Post by CNHSS1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:01 pm

a good friend of mine Paul Glover and his wife came along to Curborough to watch the sprint as Pauls a photography enthusiast and he gave me copies of pics he took of the compies.

this is the album in lo res, about 60 odd pics

if anyone wants them in his res, drop me a PM with your email address and will forward them to you.

http://s13.photobucket.com/user/CNHSS1/ ... t=3&page=1

CNH

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Return to “Events”