top water hose

Topics related solely to the Middlebridge Scimitars

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

top water hose

Post by peter freeman » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:05 pm

Had the top water hose leak at the weekend - the one from the thermostat housing to the radiator. Until I read up about it I did not know the gates one fitted was the original type used. Anyway you can see where it has rubbed and failed ( the hose with the red tracer ). I fitted a cheap replacement to get me home - the other black one and then searched for a good replacement - thinking that after 30years there would be something better around. Settled on the silicone 32mm id blue one from Viper Performance Hoses which came as a 1metre hose so I had to cut it in half. I also bought two of their SS clamps but found the one at the housing difficult to fit so ended up with a ordinary SS jubilee clip at that end and the supplied clamp at the rad. Had I been doing things slowly I could probably have got the clamps at both ends but I am not known for doing things properly if it takes too long.
Attachments
mb water hose.jpg
mb water hose.jpg (99.64 KiB) Viewed 345 times

efi_sprintgte
RSSOC Member

top water hose

Post by efi_sprintgte » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:34 pm

I’ve used the black version of the blue stuff you have, been spot on

JC

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

top water hose

Post by gtcse8 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:18 pm

I noticed that Will`s has damages on his top hose on #42 but it has been moved and reset away from the alternator. :(
My mate at the farm saw it and told me a lot of tractors use this type of Gates hose because its cheaper than getting the correct moulded type of hose.
I would have thought that part of the gazillion and One modifications that Middlebridge made great play of would have allowed them to actually find or get made a correct set of hoses. :w

Mark Wilson. See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Three Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s,1 & 1/2 GTC`s & not a lot of sense
EX SST 1800Ti

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

top water hose

Post by peter freeman » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:35 pm

I did not want "rubber" because its more likely to be Kevlar and getting a hose that has that sot of bends would be problematical which is why I settled for the silicone flexible. Not as expensive as I feared either. Looks like my old gates hose had been rubbing on the engine rather than the alternator - rather a difficult route to fit it.

Return to “Middlebridge”