MB Wing mirrors

Topics related solely to the Middlebridge Scimitars

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

simmit
RSSOC Member

MB Wing mirrors

Post by simmit » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:33 pm

I need to dismantle a door/ wing mirror assembly to get behind the actual mirror.
Before I start forcing/ breaking old plastic shall be grateful for advice on how to take the assembly apart.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

MB Wing mirrors

Post by peter freeman » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:12 pm

There are a couple of screws holding the mirror and mechanism in place - put together with a special screwdriver I suspect. Not easy to get undone but if you are going to fit a new plastic "shroud" you can afford to damage the old one

simmit
RSSOC Member

MB Wing mirrors

Post by simmit » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:38 pm

peter freeman wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:12 pm
There are a couple of screws holding the mirror and mechanism in place - put together with a special screwdriver I suspect. Not easy to get undone but if you are going to fit a new plastic "shroud" you can afford to damage the old one
Thanks Peter.
I suppose I must first remove the whole assembly from the door to find the screws you refer to (somewhere inside I guess).
Really cannot afford to damage shrouds (as replacements are hard to come by) just need access to run cables for LED strip lights which are to be stuck on the outside of the shrouds. Intention is to replicate modern style wing mirrors ie. those having integral winkers. I've always hated look of the original side winker lamps, both position and style. To me they look like a last minute afer-thought (no fights please, just a personal view).

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

MB Wing mirrors

Post by peter freeman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:00 pm

The screws can be got at but it is difficult ( I have done it ) you have to push the mirror "table" to one side - the screws I had to undo were not too tight so hopefully you will find yours the same

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

MB Wing mirrors

Post by peter freeman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:28 pm

I thought I had a pair of old mirrors somewhere - manual but the principal is the same. If you can get the mirror glass out without breaking it taking the mirror apart is easy - sorry for the quality of the photo taken with my phone on the floor. Holes allow you to get at the screws no problem
Attachments
MIRRORS.jpg
MIRRORS.jpg (66.81 KiB) Viewed 1745 times

simmit
RSSOC Member

MB Wing mirrors

Post by simmit » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:51 pm

Peter you are a star. So much information!
Can you say, before I break it. Is the glass held in place with clip(s) so that we simply pull/ lever/ persuade it free?

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

MB Wing mirrors

Post by peter freeman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:05 pm

IIRC - its glued into position - a dose of Sticky Stuff Remover might work if left long enough to soak in

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

MB Wing mirrors

Post by gtcse8 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:46 pm

On the chrome type I dip the lenses in Cellulose Thinners and it takes about an hour for the glass to be gently pried off the backing mount.
On the MB I suspect there may be a plastic melting problem, as Peter says some of the propriety glue remover may work too.
Mark

Mark Wilson. See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s,1 & 1/2 GTC`s, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

simmit
RSSOC Member

MB Wing mirrors

Post by simmit » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:53 pm

Thank you gentlemen.
Bearing in mind your comments I'm nervous about damaging glass/ shroud so now considering other options as to where improved side winkers might be better placed.

spegru

MB Wing mirrors

Post by spegru » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:45 pm

Regarding side indicator/winker repeaters, as I am short of Scimitar badges anyway I decided to delete the side badges and replace with repeaters there instead

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

MB Wing mirrors

Post by peter freeman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:49 pm

Seems like a good idea - I don't have side badges either so will give it some thought.

woomera
RSSOC Member

MB Wing mirrors

Post by woomera » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:09 pm

Hi all,

I have a set of mirrors I am working on currently (trying to set up a pair of direct replacements, FX4 taxi mirrors with heater panels as per MB originals). I found the simplest way to remove the glass from the plastic backing was to warm them in the oven. The melting point of the plastic backing plates is well above the softening temperature of the adhesive pads used to hold the glass.

Oh and if you need new glass, I was surprised to find that Halfords will custom cut mirrors for you to a template or an original part that you supply. They're not cheap back-coated flat plate mirror glass either, but proper front-coated automotive mirror glass with the correct convex profile. They did a very neat job - edged as per the original.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

MB Wing mirrors

Post by peter freeman » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:47 pm

Do Halfords do them in all of their shops or do you have to send them to head office. I have mirrors to take apart sometime in the summer and think it quite likely that I will break at least one.

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

MB Wing mirrors

Post by gtcse8 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:26 pm

I have a few mirror glasses taken from dead units. :W
There are a few different types would you believe. :roll:
Smoked,
Concave,
Convex,
And a Magnifying type, but it don`t have the regulation sticker on it, Objects In The Mirror May Be Further Than They Are :w

Mark Wilson. See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s,1 & 1/2 GTC`s, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

woomera
RSSOC Member

MB Wing mirrors

Post by woomera » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:37 pm

Regarding Halfords, they send them away to have them custom manufactured according to your pattern or old mirror glass. So I guess any Halfords could be approached?

Return to “Middlebridge”