Clutch adjustment

Topics related solely to the Middlebridge Scimitars

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

simmit

Clutch adjustment

Post by simmit » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:08 pm

The Middlebridge clutch pedal has no automatic adjustment or travel limit stop. Simply, clutch adjustment is carried out by adjusting cable tension/length at the clutch lever end.
Is it therefore possible that if the clutch pedal is depressed all the way to the bulkhead the clutch pressure plate fingers could be unnecessarily overextended and thus damaged?
So:-
(a) Is there a preferred procedure for clutch adjustment?
(b) Would it be a good idea to fit a pedal stop?

halfpenny

Clutch adjustment

Post by halfpenny » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:19 pm

Simply adjust the cable to give 10mm free travel at the pedal; nothing more is needed if the linkage has the correct ratio. As the driven plate wears, the release fingers will approach the release bearing, so it will be necessary to check from time to time that free play remains. Overstroking the clutch cover should be impossible in a correctly designed and adjusted system.

simmit

Clutch adjustment

Post by simmit » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:33 am

halfpenny wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:19 pm
Simply adjust the cable to give 10mm free travel at the pedal; nothing more is needed if the linkage has the correct ratio. As the driven plate wears, the release fingers will approach the release bearing, so it will be necessary to check from time to time that free play remains. Overstroking the clutch cover should be impossible in a correctly designed and adjusted system.
Thanks Halfpenny.
Will do as you suggest (10mm free travel).
However, call me pessimistic but is the Middlebridge "a correctly designed system"? There is huge travel distance at the pedal before it hits the bulkhead and as any travel beyond clutch plate disengagement is unnecessary (and potentially damaging) I'm inclined to fit a travel stop.
Can you say how far the pedal ought travel after the 10mm free travel to give full clutch release (then I shall add further say 10mm to account for eventual cable stretch and clutch wear).

derekoss

Clutch adjustment

Post by derekoss » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:03 am

Hi, being a tall sod I like the "bite" near the floor.

Set it up so at the travel you like the gears engage freely. Then the floor acts as the "stop" You may, depending on your driving, require a more frequent adjustment.
In some cases I've put a stop on the pedal rising to save my knee hitting the wheel !!

Derek

halfpenny

Clutch adjustment

Post by halfpenny » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:15 am

I doubt there is a definitive answer to the Middlebridge question. Bite nearer the floor is fine because the release bearing is further away from the release fingers (or there is slack in the cable), and consequently less/no risk of overstroking. You can play with the amount of free play, so long as there is some.

simmit

Clutch adjustment

Post by simmit » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:19 am

derekoss wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:03 am
Hi, being a tall sod I like the "bite" near the floor.

Set it up so at the travel you like the gears engage freely. Then the floor acts as the "stop" You may, depending on your driving, require a more frequent adjustment.
In some cases I've put a stop on the pedal rising to save my knee hitting the wheel !!

Derek
Derek[/quote]
"floor acts as the "stop" and "a stop on the pedal rising". Now that's does both jobs and indeed a good idea for long-legged types.
Halfpenny seems to agree so there we have it. Problem sorted.
Thank you gentlemen.

Return to “Middlebridge”