Alpine stereo

Topics related solely to the Middlebridge Scimitars

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

mick_gaugh
RSSOC Member

Alpine stereo

Post by mick_gaugh » Sun May 12, 2019 10:05 pm

I must agree with Will, I have had 4 and all have had the two front speakers and two fitted into the rear transom panel. One did have grills near the rear seats but no speakers fitted.

Good luck on your quest.

Regards Mick G

drcdb15

Alpine stereo

Post by drcdb15 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:12 pm

Not starting a new thread in interests of keeping subject matter together, so.. I wish to know if there is a preferred replacement item for the original MB radio head unit. I don't have anything original, and the Philips 562 radio cassette that came with the car is obsolete and has decidedly iffy speaker connections (ancient DIN flat + round pin). I plan to replace it with a NOS CD radio head unit (JVC KD-G342 in mind).

The space for the radio contains a frame member with foam padding so I presume the head unit is intended to be supported on this:
004.JPG
004.JPG (202.17 KiB) Viewed 862 times
The depth available generally above this bar to the rear face of the bulkhead (?) is around 200mm, but on the offside this reduces to around 155mm due to the corrugated hose feeding the offside centre console air vent:
005.JPG
005.JPG (171.58 KiB) Viewed 862 times
Now the OEM Alpine units seem to have had a specified depth of 160mm. I presume they fitted into the available depth satisfactorily, so the question is firstly, did they? And secondly, what else will? The JVC I mentioned earlier is also specified with an 'installation size' depth of 160mm so on the face of it should fit OK. However, the aerial connection of this item is at the lower offside corner, right where the hose is...
JVC rear face.jpg
JVC rear face.jpg (58.51 KiB) Viewed 862 times
Any thoughts ? (apart from 'choose a different head unit...)

Many thanks.

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Alpine stereo

Post by AJL Electronics » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:58 am

Most modern head units will fit well.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

David Tew
RSSOC Member

Alpine stereo

Post by David Tew » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:27 pm

You can always fit a mechless unit, of course. I have a Sony unit in the Coupe and it's only 90cm deep. You can stream music via Bluetooth or plug in your media player/SD card/flash drive.

I gave up CDs years ago after I'd digitised the ones I had (1,414 albums & 15,974 tracks - took a while!) and now download music. I store it all on our NAS and my phone and iPod. :)

- My wife says I don't listen to her ...... or something like that! -
SE4B Coupe - rebuilt on brand-new chassis.
Bought in 1978 and an RSSOC member since. 😲

drcdb15

Alpine stereo

Post by drcdb15 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:34 pm

AJL Electronics wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:58 am
Most modern head units will fit well.
Thanks for that Andy. I've been getting rid of all the wiring this afternoon and trial fitted a very neat little Goodmans unit I've had for some years, 160mm deep fitting, and it slides in a treat. Seems I've been worrying about nothing.

In view of Mick's remarks about the original being Alpine I half wondered about an Alpine unit to keep some facade of originality, but of course the only ones available today are, shall we say, somewhat gaudy in appearance, whilst the Goodmans is very conservative in comparison. So I'll go with that for now. I didn't realise until literally a few minutes ago that it also has an Aux In on the front, so if I do want more than one CD at a time I will probably go the mp3 player in the glovebox route. We'll see. It remains to be seen (?) how much you can hear anyway above the engine and wind noise!

Thanks as always folks for your help.

PS: David... "only 90cm deep" ? That's some impressive piece of kit !! :lol:

Chris

David Tew
RSSOC Member

Alpine stereo

Post by David Tew » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:36 pm

drcdb15 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:34 pm
PS: David... "only 90cm deep" ? That's some impressive piece of kit !!
It's been a long day! :lol:

drcdb15

Alpine stereo

Post by drcdb15 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:03 pm

Actually, I hadn't really thought at all about a mechless unit, but now you've put the idea into my head... I've found a number of Alpine units that are of particular interest, not just because of their size, but because - as I read it - they will play FLAC files straight from a USB stick - no need for an iPod/mp3 player and trailing cords. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Like you, I've digitised my (very substantially more modest) CD collection using a Brennan B2. Being a complete snob and with disc space available in abundance, I saved everything as FLAC, only to discover that the backup USB stick would not play in the other room on the older Brennan JB7* which only handles mp3. I couldn't face re-ripping the whole lot again into mp3, and I couldn't face converting all the FLACs into mp3, so the issue has sat unresolved for the past several months. (* they're both re-con units - I'm not *that* much of a snob!)

However, it does on the face of it look as if I could take my FLAC-based back-up USB stick straight from the Brennan and plug it into this Alpine unit in the car. Or am I missing something?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpine-UTE-2 ... SwIK9dOxhJ

Chris

David Tew
RSSOC Member

Alpine stereo

Post by David Tew » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:27 pm

Yup, it looks as if it will play FLAC files from a USB stick OK. You should also be able to stream via BT, although it doesn't specifically mention this. It does mention streaming Spotify and internet radio so FLAC files on your phone, or any source with BT, should work.

I used to use the Sony equivalent of the Brennan but now I just store everything on the NAS and stream to BT speakers - Sonos are good. :wink:

drcdb15

Alpine stereo

Post by drcdb15 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:17 pm

I wish to thank David Tew for his suggestion of a fully solid state head unit, and I'm happy to say MB61 has, perhaps with the exception of the EFI, at last entered the digital age, with an Alpine UTE-200BT which I obtained from Car Audio Centre for the very reasonable price imho of £84. When used units of various types are on eBay for around £50-70, this price for a brand new state of the art item seems very reasonable to me.

https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/produc ... -40794.htm

Anyway, here it is, all fitted and working, complete with USB stick (not supplied!) that has my whole CD collection on it in FLAC files, and plays straight from the stick. Magic !! As you can see, it was playing Enya when I took the photo :lol:
005.JPG
005.JPG (208.6 KiB) Viewed 529 times
It comes with various other trickery which is far too advanced for the likes of me, but particularly useful is the generous harness which is quite long and has to be carefully stowed behind the glove box to get it all in. I had to fit current spec ISO A and B connectors to the car's wiring to mate up to the harness. In today's cars each speaker lead has its own ISO colour code, whereas the original MB wiring has all positive leads brown, and all negatives brown/black. Also the power leads are not the same colours as the current ISO ones (except earth=black), so careful labelling is essential when removing the original connectors.
002.JPG
002.JPG (202.81 KiB) Viewed 529 times
You may note that the advert link above shows an orange display, whereas my photo shows blue. It has 10 preset display colours, plus a further one which is user-programmable (mixable?) so to get bling par excellence I intend to tune this to the same BRG as the car. It seems some of the buttons are also colour-programmable/selectable. There is more wizardry in the display of this thing than in the rest of the car put together :lol:

I will report on the associated work on the speakers elsewhere, but for now I just wanted to let David and all of you who helped in this discussion know the very successful outcome you helped me achieve. Thank you. :D

Chris

Return to “Middlebridge”