Peter Wyngarde

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

gtmart

Peter Wyngarde

Post by gtmart » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:28 pm

Peter Wyngarde ,better known as Jason King ,from the ATC 1971 series of the same name and its prequel, Department S. The original series was on similar vain to Jonathan Creek with un-explained happenings which the special Department ,comprising of Joel Fabian , Rosemary Nicol's and Wyngarde had to unravel.In the later series taking the stars name as just Jason King the plots were less imaginative but Wyngarde was even more flamboyant in his dress style sporting his trademark moustache and long hair in true early 70's fashion. I tended to have a penchant for those ATC series which highlighted some of my favourite cars and hero's which followed the early success of the early Bond films in their tone.

As Jason King said " true style never goes out of fashion " . RIP Peter Wyngarde.

Rattling
RSSOC Member

Peter Wyngarde

Post by Rattling » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:00 pm

He was very good in both series you've mentioned.RIP

Colin

1800 Ti

Loxford
RSSOC Member

Peter Wyngarde

Post by Loxford » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:46 pm

I worked with Peter Wyngarde in a theatre production years ago.

Scimher

Peter Wyngarde

Post by Scimher » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:10 pm

He, along with the late great Patrick Macnee, was one of the great male style-icons........both incredibly 'cool' characters in their very different ways. It says a lot for the variety of the period, in music, film, TV & fashion that you could have two such diverse heroes! Everything seems very bland, homogenised &, of course, 'PC', these days :roll:

He was a throwback to the days when it was okay for a man to smoke, drink & chase women...(yes, I realise that there is a slight irony in that last bit.. :wink: ) as evidenced by a well known line from his Jason King character..."it's a bit early for coffee; I think I'll have a scotch" :mrgreen: ..He was very much an underrated actor (edit: perhaps Loxford can comment further...) & must have been an interesting character, interned as he was as a boy, by the Japanese in WW2 - along with J G Ballard...

RIP Mr Wyngarde - thanks for the entertainment...

gtmart

Peter Wyngarde

Post by gtmart » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:41 pm

I remember seeing an interview with him probably in the early 1990s , he mentioned he went to Germany but was surprised to see a majority of men turned up their shirt cuffs over their suit jackets and realised they were copying him, or his TV character . They say that the Mike Myers character , Austin Powers, was very much based on Jason King . His sexual orientation was called into an question after the " George Michael " type incident in 1975, but he denied he was homosexual then later said he was Bi.(There was reputedly many a female who would have confessed to the contrary) Nevertheless, it caused a taboo at the time ....different times to today of course ,but his career after that never had the same momentum, despite being an accomplished and versatile actor. Obviously very misunderstood. I miss characters like the Jason King in these PC times of ours , but I came from that era when a womanizer was a hero.

Return to “In Memory of...”