Muhammad Ali / Cassius Clay

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

gtmart

Muhammad Ali / Cassius Clay

Post by gtmart » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:39 am

The Greatest has finally gone. I idolised him in the 1970's . During my paper-round days I would read the fight previews of all his fights against Joe Frasier, Ken Norton, George Foreman , Joe Bugner etc; I distinctly remember when he fought big george in Zaire .Virtually every reporter feared for Ali's life let alone his career. In those days live fights were done by satellite screening in selected cinemas only - it wasn't televised til the following evening in the UK. I woke up extra early for my paper-round, heard the report -Ali had knocked in out in the eighth round!! When I got home and told my father before he went to work , he said 8th. round , never.. It was that unbelievable. Mind you , he took alot of punishment that night from george (rumour has it he P***ed blood for 3 weeeks after ), and the frasier fights. May have led to future health downfall.

Didn't like him joining Islam but it was understandable due to what he saw and was brought up around with the discrimination in the USA at the time (still goes on now in certain states despite having black president. ) An incredibly brave man in and out of the ring . I admitt to holding back the tears during the beebs change of programme on Saturday night .

I'll miss you Cass RIP

greeny
RSSOC Member

Re: Muhammad Ali / Cassius Clay

Post by greeny » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:50 am

I watched the BBC program too what a charismatic man! Who was an instigator of big show boxing.

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!
RSSOC SCIMITAR GTC REGISTRAR
Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

steve bryant

Re: Muhammad Ali / Cassius Clay

Post by steve bryant » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:15 am

I have a few people in my "greatest ever" list, this man was the tops, i could go on and on but words are not enough. somebody asked me once "was he truly that good" my reply was no, he was much better.

Return to “In Memory of...”