RSSOC International 2013 - Scotland

For Meetings such as the RSSOC International

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

jeff hoole
RSSOC Member

RSSOC International 2013 - Scotland

Post by jeff hoole » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:23 pm

We hope you will join us next year in Bonnie Scotland, at the Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa, near Aberfoyle, overlooking the banks of Loch Ard. (http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/our-ho ... -hotel-spa) (Kinlochard,The Trossachs, Aberfoyle, Stirlingshire, FK8 3TL)
The hotel has 49 rooms that reflect the Scottish Country House feel. Additionally there are extensive gardens and leisure facilities, which are open for all guests to use. We have chosen the beautiful area of Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park where there is much to see and do. In addition to interesting driving roads, castles, lochs and distilleries, this is ‘Rob Roy’ country with strong connections to Sir Walter Scott. The nearby country town of Callander was used as the ‘Tannoch Brae’ of Dr Finlay’s Casebook. Ben Lomond and Loch Lomond are extremely picturesque with plenty for those who enjoy walking, cycling, and other outdoor activities. Stirling Castle, the National Wallace Monument and the historic battle site of Bannockburn where Robert the Bruce defeated the English are only approximately 20-25 miles away.

For those choosing camping or caravanning there is the Cobleland Caravan and Camping Site (Station Road, Gartmore, Stirlingshire, FK8 3RR). The site is approximately 5 miles from the hotel, just outside Aberfoyle. It is run by Forest Holidays, which is a partnership between the Camping and Caravanning Club and the Forestry Commission and is situated on the banks of the River Forth within the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park. Tent, caravan and motorhome pitches are available, with all the usual facilities. Please book your own pitches direct through http://www.campingintheforest.co.uk or phone 08451308224. Booking is available to members of the Camping and Caravanning Club (C&CC) from November 2012 and others may book from January 2013. (30% discount for C&CC members over 55.)

The weekend will follow the usual format:
Friday 21 June – Arrive at your leisure and an informal get-together (Friday evening meal is not included in the cost, but meals are available through either room service or tables can be booked in the restaurant).
Saturday 22 June – The Rally, with lunch at a venue on the rally route, followed by the presentation dinner in the evening at the hotel.
Sunday 23 June – Morning drive to an outing; continue drive to lunch venue; rally ends after lunch at approximately 1530; either return to accommodation, free leisure time or head home.

Booking Information:

Pleasingly there has been a lot of interest in this event taking place 21 to 23 June 2013 in the Trossachs area of Scotland. However, there is limited accommodation at the Forest Hills Hotel – 49 rooms (including eight feature rooms) – which can only be booked through the Club. Therefore, it is essential that if you require hotel accommodation you send your deposit and booking form back to us as soon as possible. We do not wish to disappoint anyone, but the hotel rooms will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis.

The following options are available:

Option 1 – Rally, Saturday Lunch, Saturday Presentation Dinner, Sunday Visit and Sunday Lunch only – estimated cost £110 per person. This is aimed at people not staying in the hotel who will book their own accommodation. It includes rally entry fee, road book, etc.
Option 2 – Friday and Saturday nights in the hotel with Full Scottish Breakfast, Rally, Saturday Lunch, Saturday Presentation Dinner, Sunday Visit and Sunday Lunch – estimated cost £230 per person (note that the Friday evening meal is NOT included in this cost, but can be booked separately with the hotel). It includes the rally entry fee, road book, etc.
Option 3 – Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights in the hotel with Full Scottish Breakfast, Rally, Saturday Lunch, Saturday Presentation Dinner, Sunday Visit and Sunday Lunch – estimated cost £270 per person (note that the Friday and Sunday evening meals are NOT included in this cost, but can be booked separately with the hotel). It includes the rally entry fee, road book, etc. Upgrade to one of the eight ‘Feature Rooms’ that overlook the gardens and the loch are available at a cost of £20 per room per night (subject to availability).
Extra nights may be booked either side of the weekend at an additional cost of £105 per room per night (subject to availability). But regrettably, because of the high demand for rooms this year, there will not be an option for booking Saturday night only in the hotel. There is a single supplement of £30 per room per night. However, there are a few twin bedded rooms if people are happy to share.

Booking is required before 01 December 2012 and a minimum 50% deposit of the total price is required on booking. Please complete the Booking Form in SliceMart and send it and your deposit cheque to our address: Upper Oldmill Farmhouse, Turriff, Aberdeenshire, AB53 8BU. Please make all cheques payable to RSSOC Ltd; all Cheques should be drawn on a UK bank. European members please contact us (preferably by email) for details of how to make payment other than by Sterling cheque. A booking reference, confirming payment, will be sent to you by email (preferred) or by post.

Subject to availability, the resort also has a number of self-catering apartments (1 to 3 bedrooms, sleeping 4-8 persons) which cannot be booked through the Club. It may be possible to book these from the New Year. Please contact Macdonald Resorts on 08456011734 or http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/resorts and make your own booking arrangements for these apartments. Please note that all costs are provisional and may be subject to change.

Please provide your membership number on the booking form. Non-members add 10% to all costs. All outstanding balances will be required by 31 March 2013. We anticipate that this event will be very popular and whether you are considering hotel accommodation, your own camping, caravanning or other arrangements, we urge you to book early and let us know any extra requirements well in advance in order to avoid disappointment. We look forward to seeing you in Bonnie Scotland.

Dee & Jeff Hoole, email: djhoole@yahoo.co.uk Tel: 01888 563655 or 07841 144741 (Dee) Upper Oldmill Farmhouse, Turriff, Aberdeenshire, AB53 8BU

Jeff hoole

Present :- 2 x 5a 2 x 6a 2 x 6b a gtc & a 68 coupe
1983 380 sl r107

erikscimitardemon
RSSOC Member

Re: RSSOC International 2013

Post by erikscimitardemon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:35 pm

I'd really love to join. Alas including ferry and all, it will be too expensive I'm afraid.
Scotland is well worth a visit :D

Erik Hofman
http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

Scimitarweb Webteam / Forum Administrator

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm

We will miss you - anyone over there coming across to the Newcastle ferry terminal from Ijmuiden ?

erikscimitardemon
RSSOC Member

Post by erikscimitardemon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:32 pm

I don't know yet. But I guess Martin and Myrna will join, as usual.

Erik Hofman
http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

Scimitarweb Webteam / Forum Administrator

jeff hoole
RSSOC Member

Post by jeff hoole » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:36 pm

To date we have 6 bookings from our continental members, 2 from the Netherlands , 2 from Denmark , 1 from Germany
And 1 from Belgium .

Jeff hoole

1983 380 sl r107

jeff hoole
RSSOC Member

ELV11L has left the building

Post by jeff hoole » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:54 am

Drove down to the trossachs yesterday in the sunshine, today cloudy but brightening up.
Safe journey to everyone attending. See you all when you arrive.

Jeff hoole

1983 380 sl r107

ronnie
Banned User

Post by ronnie » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:15 am

Will the Saturday/Sunday run be going anywhere near Doune ?
Think the hillclimb is on the same weekend.

Elizabeth's dad
RSSOC Member

Re: ELV11L has left the building

Post by Elizabeth's dad » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:28 am

Setting off in convoy with Peter & Gerry in the morning. Looking forward to it.

Jim

Membership No. 1779
SE5/5a Registrar

SillyWalker

Post by SillyWalker » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:05 pm

Loads of Scimitars coming through Fintry today. Maybe I will let Bob, our red Sabre, chase a few. She does like a quick dash up the road.

Will Anderson
RSSOC Member

Post by Will Anderson » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:35 pm

A big thank you to Jeff & Dee for organising an excellent International Meeting at a brilliant venue. :hurrah: I suspect only those who have done the same really appreciate just how much effort goes into making these events run smoothly. :bh :D

Thanks also to all the participants for making it a very pleasant weekend. It was good to meet such a large group of fellow owners and to put faces to names. I am only sorry I did not get the chance to speak to, or to track down, everyone! 8) I don't have a definitive total but looking through my photos there must have been between 35 and 40 cars.

Thankfully the weather forecasters got it wrong, again, and after a wee blip on Saturday morning we had some pleasant weather, just to prove it here is a gratuitous shot of my car on the Duke's Pass road on Saturday Afternoon!

Will Anderson - RSSOC 4230 & Middlebridge Registrar
SE5a 1973, SE5a 1972, Middlebridge 14, 42 & 67, P.O. Middlebridge 46

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:55 pm

The car looks good in it's shiny new paint, Will. :D Nice scenery too

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

ScimiTom
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimiTom » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:58 pm

Great photo, Will! Really 'ase', in fact... :wink:

I'd like to echo Will's sentiments - it was a thoroughly enjoyable weekend. It was great to see so many cars and meet so many people. Dee and Jeff deserve great credit for making the whole weekend run incredibly smoothly. A tremendous success - well done! :D

I have no gratuitous shots of Boffin 'au naturel', but here we are all lined up by Loch Lomond - with a veritable sea of Scimitars in the background (and one imposter!). What a gorgeous sight!

Tom

Current: 'Boffin' (1971 SE5a)
Previous: 'Sunshine' (1980 SE6b)

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:42 pm

Likewise from me and SWMBO, great weekend, fantastic scenery and great driving roads, even if the one to and from the rally venue was dog rough not very good, think I picked up all the bits that fell off :roll:
Big thanks to Jeff & Dee for organising an event that went without a hitch, the tartan travel rug was pressed into immediate use in hiding the wife's bike from prying eyes in the rear of the GTE, and we managed to get home in daylight and didn't have to try the dicky lights, (they went out whilst driving back to our hotel at night after the meal, squeaky bum time doesn't begin to explain what 50mph feels like on a narrow twisty road right next to a Loch when the lights go out unexpectedly at night)
Great to put many faces to names again this year, hope to be back in France for next years event

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer

Will Anderson
RSSOC Member

Post by Will Anderson » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:07 am

Mike, you were one I did not catch up with but I thought your car looked great.

You are right about the road, we did the Three Lochs drive on forest roads on Sat afternoon and it was better condition than the public road to the hotel!

And while I am on the subject, speed humps should be banned. ;)

Will Anderson - RSSOC 4230 & Middlebridge Registrar
SE5a 1973, SE5a 1972, Middlebridge 14, 42 & 67, P.O. Middlebridge 46

Elizabeth's dad
RSSOC Member

Post by Elizabeth's dad » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:55 am

Agreed with all sentiments expressed above (congrats to Jeff and Dee, good to meet Tom again, Will for the first time and all the others friends old and new), including those about the road; I had to tighten various things before the trip home. 800 miles or thereabouts is almost as much as I did in the whole of last year. I too have a gratuitous photo of my car, but I'm hoping to get that into the next 'Bunch of 5s' in Slice.

And I finally got to see the Rest and be Thankful.

Roll on France 2014.

Jim

Membership No. 1779
SE5/5a Registrar

Return to “Meetings”