Sorry for a 3WR-question - but is this the last survivor?

For other car-related discussions not covered in other sections.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, Terry Rickard

K70_Ingo

Sorry for a 3WR-question - but is this the last survivor?

Post by K70_Ingo » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:14 pm

Hopefully is my first posting not an annoyance for you, because it's 3-wheeler-related :oops: But I cannot find an access to a specific Reliant-Robin-forum.

At first hello from Germany from someone, who is interested in annother automotive coelacanth, but became accidentally a Robin-owner yesterday. It wil be my car only for a short time, because I've bought it for my brother-in-law, but actually I've paid and stored it.

The more I'm concerned with it -until yesterday morning I've never touched or driven a Reliant, I've only seen on our several Scotland-trips some single wrecks as decoration objects on garage-roofs-, the more it's interesting me. The first positive surprise was, that I could enter and even drive it (with 1.89m height and 113kg weight some mictrocars are definitely to small for me), followed by the surprising fun, driving it - how agile it is!

Surprise and interest increased, when the seller told me, that this Robin is a special jubilee-edition, of which only 50 cars were made. Created in 1978 for the 10th anniversary of the company Waaijenberg B.V. (http://www.waaijenberg.com/), the Reliant-importer back then. This special model was sold exclusively in the Netherlands (btw.: there was never an official Reliant-import to Germany) and has an impressing bunch of luxourious extras, which were usually not offered in Holland. Because of weight-reasons, an empty Robin (no fuel, lubricants and washer-water) weigh 380kg, so in NL it could had a tax- and APK (technical inspection)-free registration as vehicle for handicapped or drivers with a motorbike-license.

So this posh Robin has
- brown paintwork
- brown seat-cloth
- alloy-rims
- golden decal-stripes on the side and "Jubileum special"-stickers on the back
- heating
- vent
- heatable back window
- foglights
- reverse light
- electric washerpump
- interval-wiper
- parking light
- wooden(?) shift knob with Reliant-logo
- lockable tanklid

When I started the search about this special "Jubileum"-editon, I only could find photos and comments of the previous owners of this specific car, nothing at all about others. So I start to thnk, that this is the one and only survivor! :shock:

So I would be very appreciate, if you folks here may have more informations about this car. Or was it always unknown outside NL?

As my brother-in-law and me are thinking to keep and restore it in the pure original condition, I also have some specific questions. The first:

- what is the name and the exact code of the brown paintwork? The paint is rough and a previous owner has painted the front partially red.

- of what cars are luxoury-option-bits, as the vent, the heating, etc. (the heating bowden-cable stuck sometimes)?

- how are the original keys looking? I got three keys, but only one fits to all locks, a wee one, sized as a letterbox-key, with the inscription "Union Willmot Breeden"

Thanks in advance for your help!

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Re: Sorry for a 3WR-question - but is this the last survivor

Post by scimjim » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:37 pm

Welcome - perhaps one of the ROC/R3W Facebook groups would be able to answer your questions?

This forum currently doesn't cater for three wheelers (I suppose it could go in "other car chat") - but some details of the other resident in your garage would be welcomed :-)

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

K70_Ingo

Post by K70_Ingo » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:13 pm

Thanks for the welcome :)

As I'm not a FB-member (and have for some reasons no interest to become one), I'm hoping to find help over here. Maybe there are some "double agents", who would like to inform the Robin-freaks about it. Due my own hobby-experience (K 70 and license-plate-collecting) I imagine, that for some of them this car could be a kind of "Holy Grail" or something like that and could provoke some excitements.

Well, about the other resident I can offer as first step a link to our homepage: http://k70-club.de/ (except a small part in Dutch all in German, because the time for translation in English is still missinng, but our connections are worldwide, so we help in English, too). There is also a FB-page of our club.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:52 pm

I'm sure Chgperformance will be happy to discuss it with you :-)

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),

Chgperformance

Post by Chgperformance » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:11 pm

Feel free to drop me an email james@chgperformance.co.uk I regularly send parts into Europe both new and used :) we restore the reliants and recommission them too so know them inside out!

As for a forum, I'm surprised you didn't find it as googling reliant forum brings it up!

Www.world-of-reliant.org.uk

Elizabeth's dad
RSSOC Member

Post by Elizabeth's dad » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:27 pm

Like the look of the K70. Photos please!

Jim

Membership No. 1779
SE5/5a Registrar

K70_Ingo

Post by K70_Ingo » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:46 pm

Chgperformance wrote:Feel free to drop me an email james@chgperformance.co.uk I regularly send parts into Europe both new and used :) we restore the reliants and recommission them too so know them inside out!
As for a forum, I'm surprised you didn't find it as googling reliant forum brings it up!
http://Www.world-of-reliant.org.uk
Thanks for the offer, we will contact you, if we know more about the needed bits. Actually everything seems to be complete and working (except the reverse light). My main interest is right know to find out more about this "Jubileum Special"-model, if it's really the one and only survivor.

Also thanks for the link to that forum. Unfortunately somehow I cannot register there now, I'll try it again later. :?

Elizabeth's dad wrote:Like the look of the K70. Photos please!
No problem, you're welcome :)
Or is it bad behaviour, to clutter up this forum with inappropriate motifs? If yes, let me know, then I will delete the following pics immediately.

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:05 am

...Lovely condition & colour...

thomast

Post by thomast » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:38 am

There's not much very special about the "special jubilee-edition" the only unique thing is that sticker ;-) All the other bits you could buy with any normal Robin only not many people did as they were expensive enough. It's not something I would pay much extra for, I hope you did not pay much more then 750 euro's. I have a friend in Germany with some Reliant 3-wheelers. PM me if you want the address.

Regards Thomas

2x Scimitar GTE, White/black Reliant build Cipher prototype, Reliant Fox pick-up, Bond Bug, Trojan 200 and VW T3...

erikscimitardemon
RSSOC Member

Post by erikscimitardemon » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:37 am

The only special thing is the colour. This tint of caramel is rare on Robins. I only see it on Dutch Jubilee versions.
The rest could be bought from the extra options list. It is a bit like the Regal 21E, a version with all the options.

Erik Hofman
http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

Scimitarweb Webteam / Forum Administrator

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:42 am

Caramels (2 shades) are listed as standard colours on the 3 wheeler VIN codes?

This is the common one I think?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (403.89 KiB) Viewed 2119 times

Jim King

Vapona

Post by Vapona » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:25 am

The K70 was always a favourite of mine - but they never really sold all that well where I was, largely because many people were a bit taken aback by the strangeness of the new design. This made getting my hands on one more problematical, and I don't think they were all that good at corrosion resistance, same as just about everything else, back then.
If I recall correctly... the K70 would have been an NSU car if the Ro80 hadn't bankrupted them and led to them being taken over by VW/Audi. VW desperately needed a conventional car design and were years off putting one together, as they'd been very complacent about booting the air-cooled cars into touch, for too long. The NSU design fell into their lap, more or less.
So, I think the K70 was originally designed to have a rotary engine; it would have been positioned below the Ro80 and possibly offered with a choice of rotary or conventional engines.

1979 SE6a

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:01 am

The K70 was designed to have the piston engine or the rotary - NSU desperately needed a conventional engined model as the Spider and Ro80 had bankrupt them with early failures and income from Wankel licensing was down. They gave it the prefix K for Kolben (piston) as opposed to Ro (rotierend).

VW had already bought Auto Union (who owned the Audi and DKW names) from Daimler-Benz and had the Audi 100 in production, so they didn't buy NSU solely for the conventional engined model or the class size. They had the 411 in production, so they didn't buy them for a class sized car. They had rear engined air cooled cars, so they didn't buy them for the Prinz. In fact it was NSU that pushed for assistance after a deal with Citroen fell apart. VW shareholders wouldn't have agreed, so they acquired a 60% controlling interest (with no direct transfer of funds) by merging NSU with Audi. There were huge courtroom battles for years afterwards between the NSU shareholders, Wankel GmbH shareholders (including the US branch owned by Curtiss-Wright) and VW - even GM got involved with the Wankel sell off!!

Jim King

erikscimitardemon
RSSOC Member

Post by erikscimitardemon » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:43 pm

NSU is one of my favourite German brands. Because it is not so boring and conservative as most other Germans are/used to be.

Erik Hofman
http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

Scimitarweb Webteam / Forum Administrator

Emma K

Post by Emma K » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:09 pm

Hi,

James runs this:-

http://www.world-of-reliant.org.uk/phpBB3/index.php

I have a 1978 Robin 850. (Also a 1978 Kitten and an SE6. They are addictive!)

Regards, Emma K

Return to “Other Car Chat”