non scimitar hydraulic clutch odd problem

For other car-related discussions not covered in other sections.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, Terry Rickard

turboscim
RSSOC Member

Post by turboscim » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:46 pm

car is a vw with a common reservoir for brakes and clutch.
the clutch pedal sometimes goes to the floor and sticks there until pulled up, the clutch stays engaged, another symptom that is odd to see is when the pedal goes to the floor on its own and sticks there.
suggestions welcome, as going through town in 3rd with the pedal stuck on the floor can be stressful.

cannonball
RSSOC Member

Post by cannonball » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:15 pm

My Passat had a clutch problem very similar to yours but I lost all clutch function when I pressed the clutch pedal at a set of traffic lights it hit the floor and had to be pulled back up by hand, pressed it again and the same thing happened. Here was me sitting at a busy junction with absolutely no clutch so it was RAC to the rescue and then towed to the garage.

It turned out that the plastic pipe which runs across the bulkhead from the master cylinder the slave cylinder had popped and was leaking a lot of clutch fluid so it was renewed but there still no clutch. Further investigation revealed that ball at the end of the plastic push rod in the master cylinder had snapped off when the pedal hit the floor so it was a new master cylinder too, Cost me about £300 in total.

Park your car over some cardboard and look to see where the clutch fluid is dripping from but keep your eye on the fluid level before you loose the lot.

turboscim
RSSOC Member

Post by turboscim » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:01 pm

the fluid level hasn't gone down plus i have drive but can't disengage the clutch and the pedal goes to the floor all on its own and the clutch is still engaged. once going i can't stop.

efi_sprintgte
RSSOC Member

Post by efi_sprintgte » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:03 pm

Also worth checking if the clutch has a Clutch Delay Valve? It may be sticking.

JC

Return to “Other Car Chat”