fitting problem rear window Sabra GT

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

jvasabra

fitting problem rear window Sabra GT

Post by jvasabra » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:33 am

Hello,
I have problems getting the rear window in a GT after body work and respray. It is the proffesional of the spray/body shop that has worked on it for two nights, 2 hrs each, and he can't see a solution.

It is the original window of that car.

Car has been repaired and resprayed but no body works at the rear, nor rear end of the roof.

New rubber is exactly the same as the old one. Gaps perfectly filled with body and window, checked.

In fact the window goes in with rubber but already then it shows signs of being too much pressed, tends to go out at the top side, rubber does not sit nicely in line with the body. Putting in the chrome strip is ok at , say the bottom and one side then working on the top it is impossible, no more space and rubber gets totally out of the car under the pressure of the chrome strip.

He already widened by rubbing down the edges especially at the bottom because the headlining is in at the top, done at the extreme point he wanted to do it, because he needs an edge for the rubber anyway.

He presented the window to a specialized glass firm here in town, but they refused to rub in 2 mm smaller. Too much risk of breaking it they said.
How can the glass be made 2 mm smaller ( as a start )?

PS front window went in with the same rubber without problems. And that was a replacement new front windscreen.

Any help greatly appreciated.

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Re: fitting problem rear window Sabra GT

Post by ScimmyMike » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:40 pm

Have a chat with John Cartwright over on RSSOC facebook page

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:46 pm

I had to get the "old" hands at a windscreen place to fit the one in our Coupe - the roof flexes when you try to fit it in. Took three men - two inside supporting the roof and the third pushing from the outside to fit it.

windy

Post by windy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:58 pm

Its very likely possible to get the same profile window rubber with a 1mm thinner central divider, which will give you the extra 2mm clearance overall on the height & width you desire.
PM me for details.

scmarf
RSSOC Member

Post by scmarf » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:40 pm

Is it supplied in a straight length (as opposed to a hoop)? If so, maybe you can shorten it and stretch it as it goes in. I cut the seal for my rear hatch to exact length but ended up stretching it and cutting off quite a bit to get it in.

Don't forget to put the join at the side of the window to stop leaks.

Honda Jazz
1977 SE6a, previously 1985 1300 SS1
Worlds longest coupe restoration
Chief mechanic for offspring's fleet (SE5a, Bond Equipe, Ford Focus)

Henry Royce: "The quality remains long after the price is forgotten"

jvasabra

Post by jvasabra » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:58 am

Hello,
Finally the rear window is in, without breaking it. The ptrofessional fitter came 4 times !!, last time he said he wouldn't go home before the window was placed, good I had not to get him a bed. It was like the forum said, I had to push up the roof at the rear, but in away !!! Once we saw that the way the glas was curved did not correspond at all with the way the roff opening was curved, we knew where to work. Two hands was not enough, two long rods ?of wood some 20 cms left and right from centre of the roof opening and put on the floor of the car, then as a forelock pushing the rod up. Finally I had to hammer them higher, quite unbelievable. Then the opening was curved and wide enough and with some efforts everything went on its place, also the chromium part. When removing the wood the pressure was evenly divided and the window stayed nicely in. All well that ends well as they say. Many thanks for the info on the forum board, this made it possible.
Jacques

jvasabra

Post by jvasabra » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:07 am

forelock seems to be a hair thing .... google translate, well.... it could be named a gusset in English, it is a triangular piece of wood one can use to block or prevent something from sliding. Hope the text makes more sense now.

Return to “Early Sabre”