Goodwood Revival

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Re: Goodwood Revival

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:27 am

Hi Simon, well done, good to hear the car's running again :) I'm there over all three days, so I'll look forward to catching-up with you over the weekend!

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Darren C

Post by Darren C » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:51 pm

Hi Simon,

Saw your car today looking splendid in Red with 12 roundals at the corner of the extended paddock row :D Unfortunately you weren't around to have a chat, but I trust you had a fun day, and wish you luck in the racing over the weekend.

Regards
Darren

@classiccarguru1

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:05 pm

Hi Simon, I too managed to miss you, but the car looked great in the paddock:

and it looked good out on the track too:

Hope to catch up over the next couple of days :D

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:11 am

Hello Simon,
The Sabre looked great indeed 8)
Here a few more pics to add to the collection :mrgreen:
PM me your mail address, I can send you the full size pics :wink:
Cheers, Fred
Attachments
P1100766.JPG
P1100766.JPG (177.23 KiB) Viewed 2691 times
P1100765.JPG
P1100765.JPG (194.95 KiB) Viewed 2691 times
P1100763.JPG
P1100763.JPG (214.55 KiB) Viewed 2691 times

now: Scimitar SE5 ('71), Scimitar SE6a ('79), Scimitar SST 1800Ti ('90), Ford Anglia LHD ('61), Ford Consul Capri LHD ('61), TVR Chimaera 400 ('96), Caterham SV ('10), Lexus IS200 ('04), Austin Metro 1000 ('82)
past: Mitsubishi Celeste ('77), Alfetta Quadrifoglio ('85), Nissan Maxima ('95)

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:13 am

... continued ...
Attachments
P1100767.JPG
P1100767.JPG (216.59 KiB) Viewed 2689 times
P1100844.JPG
P1100844.JPG (205.34 KiB) Viewed 2689 times
P1100764.JPG
P1100764.JPG (105.87 KiB) Viewed 2689 times

now: Scimitar SE5 ('71), Scimitar SE6a ('79), Scimitar SST 1800Ti ('90), Ford Anglia LHD ('61), Ford Consul Capri LHD ('61), TVR Chimaera 400 ('96), Caterham SV ('10), Lexus IS200 ('04), Austin Metro 1000 ('82)

Simon Drabble

Post by Simon Drabble » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:13 pm

my goodness we have finally finished a race!!
Goodwood is always for me the highlight of the racing year whether I am a spectator or lucky enough to get the nod! The weekend started off with anxiety as we still could not get the car to hold a charge and had a brake pedal that was going long at the drop of a hat and not knowing if the baffling was going to cure the surge.... so it was more a case of making sure we qualified rather than how we qualified!
Saturday I spent the day as a spectator and hoped to do a proper tour of the shops - between getting distracted by on track events and bumping into friends my wallet fortunately had little action! Sunday we were first race so left the ball early and with yet another last minute drama (rev counter packed up in the paddock and radiator hose worked loose in the holding paddock) I went out on the Green Flag lap just hoping we would get a finish! Red mist descended on the drop of the starters flag and although the brakes are still not perfect and therefore have to double pump and short shifted to be safe on the revs, I had an excellant race. Initially I had to shake Darren Turner off who aptly was racing a Turner. He was carrying an impressive speed through the corners but lost out on the straights with less grunt. Having managed to break free from him I could concentrate on the Morgan ahead, it took several laps of getting closer to him and eventually I got him under braking coming into Woodcote (the one by the Shell building). Next up was Sidery Smiths ex Le MAn MGB and Holly Mason's AC Ace (with the same Raymond Mays engine). Sadly I was timed out before I caught them..
It was a real turning point weekend for us and I really must thank Greg Margetts and Winspeed Motorsport as they have both burnt the midnight oil to get us to this point. Going forward we will now start trying to development the car. It certainly hasnt been the cheap race car I thought I was buying but I absolutely love driving it and it is starting to make me believe that it could be the dark horse I have always said Sabres should be...
Next race is the 73MM in March.
It was great to catch up with Roger and John Leslie and Fred I have pm'd you and next time introduce yourself!!

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi Simon, great to catch up on Sunday :) I'm still sorting out my photos, but here's one from the race, at the point where you've just passed Darren Turner and have the Morgan in your sights:

....Roger

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:26 pm

Simon Drabble wrote:It was great to catch up with Roger and John Leslie and Fred I have pm'd you and next time introduce yourself!!
PM replied ... and photos on their way :mrgreen:
Sorry that I did not step in the booth :oops: It was shortly before the race, and other cars were starting to move about
so I did not want to bother you at that time ... unfortunately I did not have a chance to get back to the paddocks later in the day
since my friends were pushing to leave right after the last race - not being familiar with the traffic conditions around London at this time
they did not want to miss the Shuttle :| -
Will try to do better on the next occasion :wink:
Congratulations on the race and all the best for the next season :mrgreen:
Cheers, Fred

cookieboy
RSSOC Member

Post by cookieboy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:23 pm

I watched most of yesterdays action on the live stream .the race won by mike Jordan in the Austin was great .im very tempted to book for festival and revival next year .as theres good deals on caravan breaks in selsey and pagham,which are not far away .

I am a glorified binman .washroom service operative !

Simon Drabble

Post by Simon Drabble » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:35 pm

you should look at the MM in March, its basically the Revival without the pomp and ceremony and the addition of pre 84 touring cars. If you go onto their websute it lists the races that they are running next time..

I did not see the touring cars but heard it was good - better than the first leg where I gather Plato misunderstood the rules of engagemnet and treated as modern BTCC! The mustang race was gripping as was the TT. Cant believe it is all done and dusted for another year!

cookieboy
RSSOC Member

Post by cookieboy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:41 pm

Simon Drabble wrote:you should look at the MM in March, its basically the Revival without the pomp and ceremony and the addition of pre 84 touring cars. If you go onto their websute it lists the races that they are running next time..

I did not see the touring cars but heard it was good - better than the first leg where I gather Plato misunderstood the rules of engagemnet and treated as modern BTCC! The mustang race was gripping as was the TT. Cant believe it is all done and dusted for another year!
plato does it whatever he drives .yes I have looked at the mm in march .I think membership is on the cards .

I am a glorified binman .washroom service operative !

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:33 pm

Was speaking to a guy who went there in his Healey 3000 replica today - we were trying to compare the Revival and Le Mans Classic considering we've not both done the same events...only someone who has can, I suppose.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:52 pm

philhoward wrote:Was speaking to a guy who went there in his Healey 3000 replica today - we were trying to compare the Revival and Le Mans Classic considering we've not both done the same events...only someone who has can, I suppose.
I've never been to the Le Mans Classic, but I've been to a lot of historic race meetings, at various circuits, over the years. Where the others all fall down, compared to Goodwood, for me, is that the circuits are all modern, with different layouts from their old days, huge run-offs, massive high fences, bright painted armco, and so on. The cars themselves are often the same, but on a modern circuit they are like fish out of water. Goodwood still has the authentic layout, you can lean on the fence and watch the cars go by, etc. Then when you combine that with the attention to detail in the presentation, in terms of all the infrastructure, the paddock areas, and the competitors and even the spectators themselves, everyone goes that extra mile to make the effect work. Dressing in period costume is all part of the appeal - in the same way that the cars are in their element, so are the people. The few sad souls that you see, who don't take part, really look out of place.

....Roger

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:09 pm

I did feel a bit left out at LMC - white overalls and flat cap will be worn next time ;)

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:22 pm

philhoward wrote:Was speaking to a guy who went there in his Healey 3000 replica today - we were trying to compare the Revival and Le Mans Classic considering we've not both done the same events...only someone who has can, I suppose.
Having done both LMC & the Revival - as well as the Montlhery Heritage - this year, I found that these events are indeed different although they are
all aiming at the same target: reviving the spirit of classic motorsports (in days when regulations get tougher :evil: and car-bashing becomes trendy :roll: )
I'll give you my 2-penny worth comparison, but please bear in mind that I have two handicaps:

a/ I am french, therefore my judgement will be biased :lol: ... (read I believe that the english did much better than the french in preserving a good image
of motorsports, at least a larger proportion of the population still shows some interest in it ... therefore I have an a priori that english car shows are much
more genuine than their counterparts this side of the Channel :wink:
)
b/ I had never been before to sporting events - only classic car exhibitions - ... it's all new to me 8) and I love it :mrgreen:

Now for my personal comparisons ...

Dimensions: Montlhery is a much smaller circuit than Le Mans & Goodwood ... and as a result a smaller event to fit in :wink:
- at Montlhery all the facilities are on the inside of the track - except for one stand - carparks, exhibition area, shops & restaurants, paddocks,
everything is pretty much concentrated ... and you cannot circle around the track - a long section behind the forest is access restricted, so you
keep on coming back and forth between the two limits :roll: -
- same at Le Mans ... but on a wider scale :wink: camping and car parks prevent access to the track on one side, everything is organized so that
spectators follow the race on the west side of the circuit. The inner Circuit Bugatti is actually used for the clubs' exhibition (8000 vehicles !)
- at Goodwood, you can actually walk around the track and look at the action from the outside, which I think is great - at least from the
photographer's point of view :wink: Since the inside is occupied mostly by the airfield, there are no buildings hiding the race ... often
we can see the progression of the cars in the distance - that is if you have a good sight or binoculars :mrgreen: -

Race track: I have little to add to Roger's explanation ... indeed modern tracks need to the comply with tougher safety regulation, which
widens the distance to the action by factors :cry: Goodwood instead remains a traditional circuit where you have the feeling that you
could almost touch the cars :shock: Of course we all know that motor racing can be dangerous, but I am ready to take a minimal risk
once in a while to watch a race - beside, it's probably more dangerous when I cross the road in front of my office everyday :lol:
Montlhery's ring is a bit of a particular case ... many of the original concrete sections are still in place, only those badly worn had been
replaced ... it's nothing like a smooth modern track, and it must be quite impressive when you drive 'up' the ramp :shock:
You are not quite as close to the track as at Goodwood, and there are a few fences blocking access to the good photo spots :evil: :evil:
but apart from this, it's quite pleasant to watch the races on this old circuit !

Paddocks: by far the most accessible are those at Montlhery ... anyone can just walk in ALL of the paddocks at any time :shock:
- the advantage of being a small size event I guess :wink: - Goodwood was good too, at least some paddocks were open to public,
while LMC was more difficult to access - everything is made such that you could hardly see the cars from the public area :evil:
I managed to enter at the end of the day, when security did not care anymore - or between two shifts maybe :lol: - and could
take some pics ... but there were very few visitors indeed :|

Ambiance: well, that IS what makes the difference at Goodwood 8) the dress code, the entertainments, the airshow :D :D
Where else can you see people dressed up, parking their Rolls or Bentley upfront the track and sipping champagne while watching
the race 8) ?? this is just unbelievable - at least for a french - I was one of the few aliens who did not fit propely in the mob :oops:
now I know that I have one year to get ready and find a proper outfit for the next edition :mrgreen:
Moreover the carpark for classic cars is an exhibition in itself ... only cars up to the 80's were allowed by the look of it
- recent Caterhams and even TVRs from the 90's had to stay outside in the visitors carpark :cry: -
The ambiance at Monthlhery Heritage was nice too, but because of the scale ... although the place is small, I did not have
a feeling of being in a cabbage pack :wink: LMC was just mad ... simply too many people (250,000 visitors a day)
I believe that the main difference between Goodwood and our french events is the public: at MH or LMC there is a wide
proportion of visitors who come just out of curiosity, they could not tell a Jag from a Simca ... and simply visit LMC
as they would visit the Salon de l'Agriculture in Paris ... that's why you won't see that many people 'playing the game'.

Racing: I can hardly comment on the races, since I am a novice ... I can just say that I enjoyed the races at Goodwood
while I hardly watched the races at LMC - I was too busy wandering through the 8000 cars exhibited all along the Circuit Bugatti 8)

I can only conclude with a big thank to my friend John who convinced me to come to this great event :P
Cheers for now, Fred

Return to “Early Sabre”