Taking out the Engine

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Taking out the Engine

Post by Old and Slow » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:59 pm

My attempts at curing the crankshaft rear oil leak by only renewing the bottom half of the seal hasn't worked, so I need to take the engine out to get to the top half of the seal.
I intend leaving the gearbox in situ, and not disturbing the head if possible. With all ancillaries removed and the the rad out and the upper cross-member removed I think there is clearance to do this.
I will change the front oil seal, so need the timing chain cover gasket; I'll also look at the clutch - 660XYB has the Mk2 Jag Moss gearbox so I assume it is a Jaguar clutch plate. What else should I be looking at?
All suggestions and comments gratefully received (in the past I've only rebuilt BL Series A engines, hopefully nothing too different?).

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Taking out the Engine

Post by philhoward » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:08 pm

Core plugs? For the sake of a few quid, always worth doing whilst the engine is easy to get at otherwise the law of Sod will prevail.

Clutch plate could be anything - if it doesn’t immediately tally up with anything else then I think the likes of Precision Clutches in Yeovil are good for “can I have one of these please” requests for oddball stuff

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

chrisgallacher
RSSOC Member

Taking out the Engine

Post by chrisgallacher » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:28 pm

I removed my engine with the head off, but that was because a head gasket problem kicked the work off. I think not disturbing your Mays Head is very wise if you don't need to.

I removed my engine with the cross-member out of the way, but with the head off and the gearbox disconnected I didn't have to remove either the bonnet or the rad. With the head on you may have to remove the rad to move the engine forward a bit so the rear clears the bulkhead - not certain.

Certainly core plugs. Possibly timing chain too? Readily available and cheap I think. I don't recall any particular problems - these are tough old simple engines and little is out of reach of the competent diyer.

Photos or it didn't happen :D

Chris Gallacher
RSSOC Rally Secretary
rally.secretary@rssoc.co.uk

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Taking out the Engine

Post by Old and Slow » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:16 pm

Hi all,
Thanks for the feedback. Next question:
Where are the core plugs on a 2.6 straight six engine? None of the Workshop Manuals I have show them, and the official Ford parts list I have (albeit for the Mk 1 engine, not Mk 3) doesn't show any either. The only item shown is a blanking plate for the rear of the camshaft.
If needed, are they available in stainless, and do you 2-part epoxy (araldite) them in place?

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i

Oaksey
RSSOC Member

Taking out the Engine

Post by Oaksey » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:21 pm

Just measure them and buy the correct sized ones as I've not found a ready made set for them. I don't use anything to hold them in place but I coat the inside and joint faces with a water resistant sealant to aid sealing and corrosion resistance

Josh Oakes
2015, 2016 and 2017 SSSC Champion
1974 Yellow Se5a Overdrive
1971 Blue Jaguar XJ6
1966 Blue Coupe Straight Six
Previous- Coupe S6,
SS1 Ti, E90 SS1 Ti, SE6a x3, SE5 Auto, SS1 CVH, Mk2 Sabre, Rebel Estate

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Taking out the Engine

Post by Old and Slow » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:32 pm

Thanks Oaksey; from here on, I'll be using a "Project Progress" thread, asking for supplier details etc. so I won't expect anything more on this thread.

Philip Needham

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Taking out the Engine

Post by Joe. » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:50 am

https://coreplugs.co.uk/stainless-steel ... less-steel - Just used these guys to get a full set of stainless plugs for the Essex, quite a bit more expensive than mild steel but hopefully worth it in the long run.
All there plugs are made in-house in the UK too.

lambrettald
RSSOC Member

Taking out the Engine

Post by lambrettald » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:40 am

Hi - can you tell me please which ones and how many you ordered please as will buy some (love stainless and eliminates another failure item)

Cheers Dave

chrisgallacher
RSSOC Member

Taking out the Engine

Post by chrisgallacher » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:27 am

Joe. wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:50 am
https://coreplugs.co.uk/stainless-steel ... less-steel - Just used these guys to get a full set of stainless plugs for the Essex, quite a bit more expensive than mild steel but hopefully worth it in the long run.
Not come across these before - like the idea

Chris Gallacher
RSSOC Rally Secretary
rally.secretary@rssoc.co.uk

roymck
RSSOC Member

Taking out the Engine

Post by roymck » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:35 am

Joe. wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:50 am
Joe do you know what sizes and quantities for the S6 and V6 engine . Brilliant idea.

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Taking out the Engine

Post by Joe. » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:35 pm

Hi, for the essex I ordered:

1.5/8" x 1
2" x 1
1.1/4" x 12 ( think the essex only needs 11 I wanted a spare just in case. )

The whole order was about £35, not sure what the sizes are for the straight 6 off hand so can't help there...

Return to “Early Sabre”