Changing seats in an SE4

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

Revingtosh
RSSOC Member

Changing seats in an SE4

Post by Revingtosh » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:32 pm

Hi everyone - id just like to add my ten penneth into the SE4 seating conundrum.

When I got my Coupe it had some bucket seats in it - there were of no use to me as I couldn't fit in them. After obsessing over this for months, my options were:-

MX5 Seats - couldn't find a decent set.
MGF Seats. - this was the route that I went down.

The MGF seats which I purchased did not have a tilt mechanism - not a problem for my car, so I dropped on a really nice set for £200 from my house.

That was when the challenges started...

The MGF Seats are lovely - but with being over six feet tall, I felt that the base of the seat was far too high which resulted in an awful driving position, not to mention my head kept on fouling the headlining.

Problem has now been solved - I pulled them out, sold them and bought a pair of kirkeys which are very comfortable, and allow me to sit about 2 inches off the deck. You can see them here:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioBtdf1Z1PI&t=190s

Hit me up if you have any questions - I have done this topic to death so I know quite a bit about it.

mikeyb1
RSSOC Member

Changing seats in an SE4

Post by mikeyb1 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:25 pm

My seats are , I believe, MK2 MX5, seperate headrests, leather faced. The phots should show how low they sit and how far they fold. Passengers is shown fully folded and adjusted fully folded. Very comfortable and supportive. Mike.
Attachments
IMG_1248.JPG
IMG_1248.JPG (136.87 KiB) Viewed 296 times
IMG_1247.JPG
IMG_1247.JPG (134.53 KiB) Viewed 296 times
IMG_1246.JPG
IMG_1246.JPG (168.68 KiB) Viewed 296 times

steveden
RSSOC Member

Changing seats in an SE4

Post by steveden » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:47 pm

If you don't tend to use the back seat, TR7 seats fit easily. They have headrests and the squabs are fairly low so taller drivers can fit in.
They also have good side support for 'press on drivers' who enjoy the handling of these cars.
These appear on Ebay regurlarly, i have bought two pairs for only around £20 per pair.
They also fit nicely in SE5s.
Steve D

jules9000

Changing seats in an SE4

Post by jules9000 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:03 pm

Hi there,
I have just fitted re covered Mazda MX-5 seats in my GT. Carl Fitchett has a TR restoration business just outside Manchester and he takes MK 2 mazda seats and recovers them as though are 1960's seats. £995 a pair. They look stunning and period and are very comfortable. My old coupe seat backs would move under braking and not be very comfortable.

http://www.trtrader.com/parts-lists/MX5 ... ackets.htm

Return to “Coupé”