First time on road since 89

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

backpain
RSSOC Member

Post by backpain » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:03 pm

Well at long last I took my coupe out for a short drive ,she would have gone off like a rocket loads of power but I took it carefully as I have a few problems

I had noticed while on tickover in my garage oil pressure is high 75/90 but all of a sudden it drops I expect that's the prv cutting in , however on the road its very slow to drop reaching into 3 figs I have to take my foot off the excelerator only getting up to 35/40 mph. So the pressure valve is sticking ?

My coupe has a early Essex, 67 ,oval ports with the excenter oil pump fitted,, are these still available

Photo is old one, how hard is it to remove sump with engine in
Attachments
DSCF0032.JPG
DSCF0032.JPG (169.86 KiB) Viewed 1495 times

Miss Moneypenny Coupe

housemartin
RSSOC Member

Post by housemartin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:13 pm

Hi,
I have just removed my sump with the engine in the car this weekend, as I had low oil pressure at idle.
Put the on front wheel on ramps, then jacked up the main chassis rails and lowered onto axle stands (can't be to careful).
Removed the lower brace across the main rails and the flywheel lower cover.
Easy then to remove the 20 odd sump bolts, but need a thin socket extension for the 2 by the flywheel.
Ease off the sump with a screw driver.
The oil pickup and oil pump just unbolt and drop out.
My pump was a 2 vane type and looked fine on disassembly just cleaned out the sump and gauze pickup.

As oil the pressure was low I removed a couple of the main bearing caps to inspect the bearing shells.
There was a fair bit of wear, down to the copper, in middle of the lower shells and plastiguage shows 0.063mm clearance, I have ordered a replacement set of bearing shells. The crank may be a grind but a new set of bearing should give me better pressure for a few thousand miles more.

I hope this helps, but I am sure someone else will add better advice

Dan

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:32 am

The early Essex ( dip stick at the front ) run at 50psi so 75/90 is far too high - it does sound like the valve sticking. The early pumps were still available from Burtons a few years ago and they may still have them. The correct pump for the early engine is the one on top - the larger one. If the engine has been re-built make sure it has ( the no longer available ) tappets fitted.
Attachments
Dsc00605.jpg
Dsc00605.jpg (166.05 KiB) Viewed 1378 times

backpain
RSSOC Member

Post by backpain » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:58 am

Good Morning I started the car 5 mins ago it read 75 would not go higher , the needle did wobble around .coming down to around 55 at tickover

The engine was rebuilt along time by Scholar, big valves heads , blueprinted,for Lansbury Haywood motorsport company Ipswich .This info from po toomanybits18

Will checkout these tappets.

Miss Moneypenny Coupe

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:12 am

The later tappets will work as long as you don't rev high then they supply too much oil the the rockers which cannot drain away quickly enough and you end up with smoke like James Bond.
Attachments
tappet.jpg
tappet.jpg (88.54 KiB) Viewed 1363 times

backpain
RSSOC Member

Post by backpain » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:57 pm

Well the more I run the engine the better it gets ,, fingers crossed

However its not the same for my clutch plate yet that refuses to free itself ,goes into gear lovely when pedal not depressed but when I do its a pig ,reverse no way have to switch off engine put in reverse start engine ,I expect the more I use it something may happen

Miss Moneypenny Coupe

backpain
RSSOC Member

Post by backpain » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:21 pm

Well I spent a day rolling around under car until I was bit or stung that gave me blood poisoning ,10 days later back to car. I have fitted a new oil pump and alloy timing wheel almost finished very interested in what the oil pressure is. John
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (434.35 KiB) Viewed 874 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (382.99 KiB) Viewed 874 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (357.94 KiB) Viewed 874 times

Miss Moneypenny Coupe

roymck
RSSOC Member

Post by roymck » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:33 pm

I don’t agree that later cam follower/tappers will work in a older engine. Many years ago I did it in a 1967 Cortina V6 savage and had poor oil pressure and when running it would fill the rocker boxes up with oil quicker than it could drain back to the engine . A recipe for disaster as it then pushed the oil into the PCV valve and burnt it , hence the smoke .
Take advice from a V6 engine builder .

backpain
RSSOC Member

Post by backpain » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:51 pm

Well cheers but changing cam followers /tappers etc was never ever part of plan .my engine runs fine :D .., not sure where that came from john

Miss Moneypenny Coupe

Return to “Coupé”