V6 Coupé engine mounts/brackets

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

French Coupé

Post by French Coupé » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:18 pm

The engine rebuild for the Coupé is progressing well and I will soon be reuniting it with the car, so here's a quick question about engine mounts.
The brackets which bolt on to the engine have two sets of holes so the engine can be set at different heights. When I took the engine out it was on the lower setting. There's very little clearance between the water pump and the steering column on my car, and when cornering the water pump sometimes touches it. Is there any reason I shouldn't use the upper set of holes to gain extra clearance?

James

1968 Scimitar Coupé, 1971 MG BGT, 1950 Royal Enfield G

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:31 pm

French Coupé wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:18 pm
Is there any reason I shouldn't use the upper set of holes to gain extra clearance?
I'm not a v6 Coupe expert, but it strikes me that the obvious thing to check is whether or not you've got enough clearance between the air cleaner and the bonnet? I know the GTEs are quite close, so I guess the same would be true of Coupes? (unless the GTE is already in the equivalent of your "upper position"?)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

French Coupé

Post by French Coupé » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:02 pm

Bonnet clearance is the main worry, I don't think the small change in angle would cause a problem with the propshaft angle, would it? It would be reassuring to know which setup is used on other Coupés so I don't put it all back together only to find the bonnet won't shut... It probably wouldn't take long to change the position with the engine in the car, but it's definitely a whole lot easier to do on the workbench! :lol:

James

briankenyon
RSSOC Member

Post by briankenyon » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:06 pm

hi,Im quite sure there was a spacer between the engine block and mounting on one side.
when i refitted

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:28 pm

Hi James

Sounds like you got the clutch kit fitted :lol:

Mark

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

Oldconn
RSSOC Member

Post by Oldconn » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:32 am

Hi James, apart from the angle of the propshaft(which should not be critical), need to check whether changing the height of the gearbox makes it foul the tunnel.

"When I grow up, I want to be me"
-Kermit Weeks
Current: SE6A; 998 Mini.Previous: Morris Minor,Ford8, Cortinas Mk1 &2,MG Midget 1932,Morgan 3W 1934,Lagonda Rapier,Honda S800, Austin Maxi,Citroen GSA, Riley ElfMk2,Peugeot 505,Rover 420 SDI

French Coupé

Post by French Coupé » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:42 am

briankenyon wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:06 pm
hi,Im quite sure there was a spacer between the engine block and mounting on one side.
Yes, I've got one of those too. I'll check if it was fitted to take the engine away from the steering rack or the other way round.
gtcse8 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:28 pm
Sounds like you got the clutch kit fitted :lol:
Getting there Mark! Clutch should be going on this weekend at the same time as the gearbox. :)
Oldconn wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:32 am
Hi James, apart from the angle of the propshaft(which should not be critical), need to check whether changing the height of the gearbox makes it foul the tunnel.
From memory I think I'm OK on that account. I'm pretty sure I've had my hand down between the tunnel and the gearbox searching for elusive nuts and washers in the past! :lol:

James

Return to “Coupé”