Ti wiper problem

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward

PeteMac
RSSOC Member

Ti wiper problem

Post by PeteMac » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:09 pm

The wiper on my Ti has always been untrustworthy. It will sometimes work on first attempt, but will usually give up pretty quickly.

When it has failed, I hear a short screechy beep and click from the delay unit when I try to switch it on. I therefore bypassed the delay unit but still nothing. Absolutely no attempt to move. (And no beep or click.) The washer jet is working perfectly, so fuse and washer switch is OK. (I assume it's simply a case of joining the two connectors when bypassing the delay unit - no need to switch any wires about, it there?)

Any suggestions? Not yet touched the connections on the motor yet - doesn't look the easiest to get at.

1987 1800Ti
(previous 1975 SE5a, 1968 GT)

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Ti wiper problem

Post by philhoward » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:35 pm

Sounds like the motor - although could be a partially seized wheel box. Does it work if you lift/remove the wiper arm?

Pretty sure that just joining the plugs together is all that’s needed to bypass the delay unit - flick wipe and speeds 1 and 2 should work as normal.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Ford
RSSOC Member

Ti wiper problem

Post by Ford » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:04 pm

Just connect them like you said.

I've got exactly the same problem. The wiper motor plug can be reached most easily by removing the speaker, but mine had the correct voltage on all of the pins, so I'm thinking it's seized like Phil suggests.
After unscrewing the dash, can it be pulled back enough to access the motor without taking any of the air hoses or any other wiring off?

SS1 1316

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Ti wiper problem

Post by peter freeman » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:39 pm

Try removing the wiper and its arm and taping the spindle leaving the tape open at the top and filling it with 3 in1 oil or something similar - the oil will work its way down and hopefully free the mechanism. I do this once a year to keep things free.

PeteMac
RSSOC Member

Ti wiper problem

Post by PeteMac » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:27 pm

Thanks all.
philhoward wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:35 pm
Does it work if you lift/remove the wiper arm?
Nope. Tried lifting the wiper and jiggling it a bit, but nothing.

I'll try and get some lubrication in to the mechanism as Peter described and see what happens.

1987 1800Ti

1800oldb

Ti wiper problem

Post by 1800oldb » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:09 pm

peter freeman wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:39 pm
Try removing the wiper and its arm and taping the spindle leaving the tape open at the top and filling it with 3 in1 oil or something similar - the oil will work its way down and hopefully free the mechanism. I do this once a year to keep things free.
Good idea Peter. The wiper on my 1800Ti has always been a little reluctant to move and jerky when it does - maybe your idea will cure it.
I'll give it a go in the next few days and report back.

old bean

Ti wiper problem

Post by old bean » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:29 pm

Mine managed to strip the thread on the wiper spindle during a storm.. Dash out and disconnecting air hoses is fairly straight forward to enable access to swap out the wiper gubbins for a know good unit if need be.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Ti wiper problem

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:10 am

Ford wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:04 pm
After unscrewing the dash, can it be pulled back enough to access the motor without taking any of the air hoses or any other wiring off?
On mine the spindle seized, with the result that the wheelbox teeth and the rack were both stripped, also I didn't realise that as it was jammed not quite in the parked position, the park circuit was still active and trying to park the wiper, with the result that the motor was almost red-hot by the time I got home.....

In answer to your question above, the answer is yes, you can change the motor and mechanism without completely removing the dash. That's how I did mine - as it's a daily driver I wanted it back on the road ASAP I did take some photos which are on here somewhere, I'll see if I can find them.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Ti wiper problem

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:27 am

There's a couple of pics here. Bear in mind that I'm fairly thin, and needed to do the job quickly :wink:

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Ti wiper problem

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:06 pm

Further to my last, there are a couple of extra pics in the members' technical archive here

....Roger

Alan SS1

Ti wiper problem

Post by Alan SS1 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:46 pm

to confirm / deny the seized spindle theory, there 'should' be some back-lash when you jiggle the blade from park to 'in use' ?

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 ( .. . EVU & . . . . CDC)
Regal 330 (VAV ---) now passed to another 'keen owner'

PeteMac
RSSOC Member

Ti wiper problem

Post by PeteMac » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:54 pm

Looks promising. Left the taped spindle to soak overnight following Peter’s advice. Tried the wiper again tonight. Initially no movement, but it sprung in to life after a sharp tap on the spindle with a rubber mallet. Left the car (and wiper) running for 10 mins just to give it some exercise. The wiper was consistently starting and stopping after this.

Chose to lubricate the spindle overnight one more time. Shouldn’t do any harm. Will try it again tomorrow night.

1987 1800Ti

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Ti wiper problem

Post by philhoward » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:03 pm

Sounds promising 8)

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Ford
RSSOC Member

Ti wiper problem

Post by Ford » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:05 pm

Good news Pete, I put tape and oil on mine Tuesday morning before work and will try at the weekend. Really don't want to take the dash off! :cry:

SS1 1316

PeteMac
RSSOC Member

Ti wiper problem

Post by PeteMac » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:15 pm

Tried wiper again on Thursday. Not a thing. Nothing. Dead as a doornail.

Pulled dash to get access to motor. Tested connector and motor in situ. Power to the connector was fine. The wiring seems to follow the following layout, borrowed from this website. (Note this is the connector on the motor, not the harness.)
wiperplug.jpg
wiperplug.jpg (15.53 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
On testing motor, it worked at 1st (slow) speed but not 2nd speed. Then it didn't work on 1st either. Removed motor unit and tested out the car. Unsurprisingly, same result. Nothing. Then removed the motor cover to see what was in there. Nothing looked out of place - gave it a spin and put the cover on again. Wired it up again. It worked. Slow and fast speeds, both OK. Consistently changed from off to slow to fast a number of times.

Plugged it back in to car (not fixed in place) and tried again. Slow and fast both worked OK. But then it wouldn't go off. In the wiper stalk off position it was still going at the slow speed. :roll: Tested the harness connector again and it was as expected in all positions. Then the rain started, so called it a day.

To me it all points to the wiper unit/motor itself (Wheels and teeth all look good though.) Unless anyone else has any suggestions before I investigate getting a replacement.

1987 1800Ti

Return to “SS1/SST/Sabre”