Ti starting woes

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

PeteMac
RSSOC Member

Ti starting woes

Post by PeteMac » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:20 am

Thanks Jim, I'll get back to it later today. Are there likely to be many earth terminals under there? (Or is that a 'how long is a piece of string' question?)

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Ti starting woes

Post by philhoward » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:39 am

Irrespective of how the "alternative" looks, it sounds like its likely to be the cause of the problems. The connector damage looks like it's suffered from a bad connection in the past, causing failure. This could have caused the wiring that used to go to it to suffer such that even if it looks OK on the surface, it could have suffered internal damage too.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

PeteMac
RSSOC Member

Ti starting woes

Post by PeteMac » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:08 am

Thanks Phil.

We can see that something (possible a bad connection) previously caused the burn out at the connector, and wires (brown and white - the 2 joined to hot-wire it) have been re-routed past the damaged connector.

So a few possibilities:

1. Bad connection has since rectified by PO, but internal wire damage is causing this starting/running issue.
2. Bad connection has NOT been rectified by PO, thus causing this starting/running issue.
3. Combination of 1 and 2 (bad connection still exists AND wire is damaged)

I'll see how things progress today. Thanks all for input so far.

PeteMac
RSSOC Member

Ti starting woes

Post by PeteMac » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:28 pm

Gladly some progress has been made. It seems that my interminable meddling with the steering column/wheel each time I had the car running (and which seemed to cause immediate stall) may well have been a huge red herring.

Thursday evening the car again started first time (hot wired). I'd removed the instrument cluster to allow access to wiring behind. Looked for loose connections but nothing. And none of my fiddling with wires caused any issue. Engine kept running fine. But again, after a couple of minutes, and while I was leaving it well alone, the engine stalled. And again, it failed to restart.

So this afternoon I removed the distributor, cleaned up the connections to it, and cleaned the rotor plate. Refitted dizzy. Car started again, and kept running. It did stall once but, unlike before, it re-started again immediately. Left it idling for a while. Stopped it. Again restarted OK. It did stall a while later and only re-started after a bit of dizzy adjustment.

So, timing seems to have been the issue. Stopped there for the day with some sense of relief. Will get my hands on a timing gun (mine has gone AWOL) and attempt to get the timing set up this week.

While I'm here, my odometer is non-functioning, and seems to have been for many, many years. Has anyone had any success repairing one, or is a replacement the safer, easier option? (Was thinking of looking at it, since my cluster is currently removed.)

Dave Eddy
RSSOC Member

Ti starting woes

Post by Dave Eddy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:45 pm

similar cost to repair is new instrument cluster from Reliant Parts World, Cannock,(nigel) £99.

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Ti starting woes

Post by Old and Slow » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:30 pm

the odometer in 660XYB speedo wasn't working when I got the car.
Inside the speedo there is a pawl which pushes a ratchet wheel to increment the mileage, and the spring holding it against the ratchet was totally missing.
I made a new one from some brass-plated steel wire taken from the cable that is used to hang pictures;
wound on a very thin rod it made a nice spring which (touch wood) is still going strong. :?
Good luck.
Philip

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

PeteMac
RSSOC Member

Ti starting woes

Post by PeteMac » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:18 pm

Hard to believe it's been so long since I added to this thread. Just been taking things easy the past month or 2.

Anyway, I'm happy to say I think I can bring the thread to a close. After numerous red herrings and multiple blind alleys, it looks like it's solved. The culprit - the crank angle sensor. A month or so ago I tested it by removing the dizzy (but still connected to harness) and turning by hand. Instead of injector clicks every 90 degree turn, I was luck to get one every 2 turns. Ordered a replacement from Rock Auto.

Today I started by testing the dizzy (with old CAS) again. It seemed to behave OK. This time I also removed the coil king lead, and I was getting injector click and coil spark every 90 degrees. Thought to myself "I bet this'll start". And it did. But it ran rough with a regular/constant mis-fire. Stopped it to adjust the timing, and it wouldn't re-start. Same old problem. At this point, I re-tested the CAS. I was now just getting the click and spark intermittently - no where near every 90 degrees.

Fitted the new CAS following the excellent instructions provided on the forum by our antipodean friend, Jim Russell. All went without a hitch. Attempted to start - started first time! And it kept running. In fact, it sounded like a completely different car. Stopped it. Re-started it. No problems. Set the timing. Ran it for a lengthy period. Didn't miss a beat. And most importantly, didn't stall.

Pity I didn't try the crank angle sensor at the start. But, as Jim Russell said a few years back, I'll learned a hell of a lot about the car!

Of course, after so many months laid up, other electrical gremlins have appeared. The hazard lights and offside indicators work fine, but only the nearside wing indicator is working (and at double speed). Neither front or back are working. Likely to be bad earth at both? (They were working a few months back.) Likewise the wipers, which have decided not to work. The windscreen scoosher (for want of a better term) is working fine, which I think rules out the fuse. Anyway, something for another day.

Definitely a celebratory beer or 2 tonight.

PeteMac
RSSOC Member

Ti starting woes

Post by PeteMac » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:32 pm

I was starting to think this day wouldn’t come. Finally got the Ti out for a blast. Brilliant! Still some jobs to do - straighten up the bonnet and doors - but at least (and at last) it is drivable. And just in time for winter! 😀
AC0BD0CB-2303-4919-853A-086F40292732.jpeg
AC0BD0CB-2303-4919-853A-086F40292732.jpeg (409.49 KiB) Viewed 209 times
90C7BEC6-4110-4868-B992-CC8B66CBFDCE.jpeg
90C7BEC6-4110-4868-B992-CC8B66CBFDCE.jpeg (301.59 KiB) Viewed 209 times

Corky
RSSOC Member

Ti starting woes

Post by Corky » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:17 am

Well done :hurrah:

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car. VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

Alan SS1

Ti starting woes

Post by Alan SS1 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:04 pm

PeteMac wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:32 pm
I was starting to think this day wouldn’t come. Finally got the Ti out for a blast. Brilliant! Still some jobs to do - straighten up the bonnet and doors - but at least (and at last) it is drivable. And just in time for winter! 😀
VERY late for summer, bit close to water's edge given today's rainfall across Dundee / Angus etc (and rest of country)

nothing wrong with that alignment . . . . . .
standard Reliant 'it'll do' :wink:

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), Regal 330 (VAV ---), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 (EVU ---)

PeteMac
RSSOC Member

Ti starting woes

Post by PeteMac » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:33 pm

Cheers Alan, the car didn't leave the garage today, given the incessant rainfall. (Yet to find out how watertight it is - if it is!)

As for alignment, the passenger door is not bad, but needs a good push to get fully closed. Something is stopping it closing cleanly, and I've yet to discover what. (One of my next jobs.) Drivers side is worse, lower edge sticking out further than it should, and it's not managing to close fully. Needs straightened up and possibly moved forward a bit. Another of my next jobs! :D

But it's drivable, which is the main thing. A big relief.

Return to “SS1/SST/Sabre”